Raildust!! I finally have something to b%^ch about.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 08:24 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by blitzkrieg
I gotta plead ignorance on this too, I've never heard of "rail-dust".

What is it?
Rail dust is basically a tiny 'spec' of metal that has embedded itself into your clearcoat/paint. These are generally caused by 'metal to metal' grinding where a very hot 'spec' of metal flakes off and lands on your finish.

These metal 'specs' will embed/melt into the clearcoat and ultimately oxidize. When this happens, many people will mention that it looks like their paint has 'rust spots' or they'll mention how rough it feels to the touch.

A good claying of the vehicle will TYPICALLY remove the best portion of the problem if not all of it. This is a very common problem for folks that live near railroads, had their truck delivered via rail, or live near machine shops (just to name a couple).

RP

Old 04-08-2004, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks RP...

Old 04-08-2004, 08:34 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by blitzkrieg
Thanks RP...
Yessir... np.

Old 04-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The term originally started with the transport of vehicles via railroad. The dust from the metal vs metal on the rails would get on the vehicles paint and usually will not come off with normal washing. You can also get it from hi-ways as dust from the brakes of vehicles does the same thing. I use a clay bar on mine and it is one hell of a lot of work if you have a lot of dust. I believe the clay bar method originated in Japan. I have a white truck so it is pretty easy to see. If you don't address the problem it will eat holes on your paint over the course of a few years.

I used Mothers California clay bar myself...

CALIFORNIA GOLDŽ
CLAY BAR PAINT SAVING SYSTEM

http://www.mothers.com/products/prod...paintprod.html

Quick Reply: Raildust!! I finally have something to b%^ch about.