Old 05-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Johngs
ok, thanks.
No problem bud.

Old 05-16-2004, 10:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I finally got a chance to get the truck washed (would have done it sooner but I was either away or it was raining).

Here's right after the NXT wash:

Old 05-16-2004, 10:22 PM
And then after the clay:

Didn't get a chance to wash again and put the scratch-x on, the clay took me several hours to do (about 1 hr just for the hood), and it was near 7:30 when I got done and the mosquitos were attacking me like crazy.

Tomorrow Im going to give it another wash and then do the scratch-x...which brings me to another question, do I put the scratch-x on the applicator and then apply, or onto the paint and then spread? Or does it matter?

Thanks

Old 05-16-2004, 11:23 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Johngs
...which brings me to another question, do I put the scratch-x on the applicator and then apply, or onto the paint and then spread? Or does it matter?

Thanks
Johngs,

Looks like she's coming together! Great job man!!

As far as the Scratch-X is concerned, I'd recommend applying it to an applicator and then going to your paint. The reason being is that you'll tend to utilize less product than just gumping it down on to the paint. Let's face it, car care chemicals are pricey. Anything that we can do as end users to conserve the chemical will end up saving us a few coins in the end.

Great job and keep the pictures rolling in!

RP

Old 05-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Alright, thanks for all the advice RP

I would've liked to go with a nice wax, but Im probably just going to use the turtle wax stuff we have at the house already. It should be good enough (ie, better than nothing)

Oh and, I have to say, that towel surprised me. I opened it and by the size, I didn't expect it to dry my entire truck, but it wasnt even all that wet when I was done. Although, the little method of using no hose attachment (per the NXT directions) seems to have helped keep more water off the paint so the towel doesnt have to pick as much of it up.

Last edited by Johngs; 05-17-2004 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-17-2004, 05:48 PM
Well, I must say I dont know if the scratch-x did much for removing scratches and swirls. But it does seem like a decent polish? I'd probably need to get a rotary buffer to get most of the stuff out.

In any case, here's some finished pics, they arent quite that good, its a little overcast and the sun pokes out every now and then:

Old 05-17-2004, 08:03 PM
Moderator &

Looks great!!!!

At least the sun was popping in and out with you... we had marble - quarter sized hail today... while I was driving down the interstate on the way home. Luckily, it doesn't appear like I have any damage.

Old 05-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Yeah, Im sure it isn't the best, but Im much happier with it now than before

Now I get to tackle my dad's F250 crew cab

Don't think I will do the clay and scratch-x on it though, it's in pretty good shape (he always takes it to the car wash place).

Old 05-17-2004, 09:44 PM
Moderator &

Good luck on the 250!

Just a suggestion, and take this as a grain of salt but, of all the steps that I might skip during a detail, claying would be my last choice.

You see, to obtain an optically sound surface that will offer optimum reflectivity as well as depth, surface preparation is the #1 key.

Good luck!

RP

Old 05-17-2004, 09:59 PM
I understand that claying is a necessary evil

But I don't think my dad's needs it, he keeps it washed pretty often, and he usually has it waxed.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:21 PM
If I were you, I'd try to get your hands on some wax called "Cherry Wax" .. You can only get it commercially. Try to find someone who will hook you up with some. If you were in So Cal, I'd give you some. Its easy to use and works really good!

good luck

Quick Reply: Advice please :)