Removing Wax From Plastic and Rubber Trim

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2004, 11:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there any difference between the methods necessary to remove wax from trimwork vs. polish? I seem to be having much better luck getting wax off than polish stains.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated...have tried both Wax Blaster and Magic Eraser so far...other treatments just temporarily cover the stains up.

Old 05-10-2004, 08:23 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm sure it all depends on the individual chemical composition of the product but, I had no problem removing DACP (polish) from my trim. *shrugs*

RP

Old 05-10-2004, 09:34 AM
I guess I am a bit hesitant to really go at the polish stains with the Magic Eraser after it bleached the black trim on my wife's car so badly. The product label clearly states not to use it on "dark colors" so I had been blaming it for the damage it did to my wife's car, damage I have been using just about every protectant known to man to try to repair. Maybe this product was not the cause, perhaps it was some other odd combination of factors...all I know is that yes, it did take the polish stains off the trim of her car, but left me with much bigger problem to deal with.

Also used the Magic Eraser on my green plastic lawn funiture (again a dark textured finish). Same result...it got off some stains I thought would never come off, but left the dark green a bit chalky.

Maybe the eraser might be safe for the greyish trim on the F150...I don't know...but I'm in no hurry to give it a serious try on my new truck!

Meanwhile, still trying to get a few polish stains off the truck...and more importantly, fix the trim on the wife's car.

Old 05-10-2004, 10:10 AM
Moderator &

Good point FX4. All that glitters is not necessarily gold. I'm sure there are some drawbacks to the ME but, I can only attest for my personal experiences with it. Thus far, those are nothing but good....

Old 05-14-2004, 12:45 PM
Regarding a dull film being left on the surface after using the Magic Eraser, I found that if you allow the plastic to air dry after using the ME, that it will dry with a chalky film on it. What you need to do is to wipe the surface just cleaned while it is still wet, with a clean towel. This will remove the film before it drys, and you will be left with a clean, new like appearance.
I love this stuff!

Old 05-14-2004, 04:00 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by Superbru
Regarding a dull film being left on the surface after using the Magic Eraser, I found that if you allow the plastic to air dry after using the ME, that it will dry with a chalky film on it. What you need to do is to wipe the surface just cleaned while it is still wet, with a clean towel. This will remove the film before it drys, and you will be left with a clean, new like appearance.
I love this stuff!
Good point, I actually cleaned mine after the ME with a med stiff brush. I got a nice like new black bumper cover again, same for the mud flaps and the running boards

Old 05-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Where can I buy ME? Thanks

Old 05-14-2004, 06:21 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by cajun04screw
Where can I buy ME? Thanks
Wal-Mart or any store of that nature... Look in the Household Cleaning section.

Old 05-16-2004, 02:16 PM
Moderator &

FYI:

Sam's Club has an 8-pack of MEs for $6!!

Old 05-16-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Wal-Mart or any store of that nature... Look in the Household Cleaning section.
Yeah, but you didn't say anything about the package weighing absolutely nothing....

I put down the first three packs I picked up swearing they were "empty" until I realized that the ME's aren't much of anything.

TonyPTX

Old 05-16-2004, 08:00 PM
Thanks got mine at Wal-mart. This stuff works great. I'm starting to like detailing my truck thanks to this site and great members Thanks.

Old 12-08-2004, 10:09 PM
i apologize for my crappy sig pic...it's just pathetic!

Quick Reply: Removing Wax From Plastic and Rubber Trim