Garden hose water softener/ filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 98SCREAMER
Damn Intel!! If I had known I would have called you up to do my ride. I was in Nawlins around Xmas and New Years. Though it did rain every other day back then.,,,,98
LOL, no problem. Just let me know next time you're in town though.

I move between New Orleans and Baton Rouge a lot. I'm at LSU for Chemical Engieering.

Old 06-10-2004, 08:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Jimmer
well water softerners also work on the ion princeable the positive chraged minerials stick to the negitively charged risen.

I hope to test it on a peice of glass and let it air dry to see how well it works note I have very hard water here...

Jim
update:

Ordered the Garden hose water softerner, cost was 47.00, delivery was prompt taking 4 days and shipping was free... I hope to give it a test drive this weekend (if the rain stops)

Jim

Old 06-10-2004, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Jimmer
update:

Ordered the Garden hose water softerner, cost was 47.00, delivery was prompt taking 4 days and shipping was free... I hope to give it a test drive this weekend (if the rain stops)

Jim
Awesome, let us know how it works out.

Old 06-10-2004, 09:37 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Intel486
Awesome, let us know how it works out.
Yes, please do!

Old 06-12-2004, 06:00 PM
Used the garden hose water softener this afternoon.

It wasn't all I hoped for, it wasn't 100% effective. I would guest-a-mate maybe a 60%-70% reduction in spotting. I have very hard water here however so your mileage may vary.

Test conditions: Weather was Warm (mid-70s) and bright sunny day. The in sun therometer was at 95 degrees

I broke all the rules on purpose for this test.

I washed in direct sunshine and the truck body was warm-hot to the touch (in fact steam was coming off when wetted down).

I rinsed with mist spray and not a flood setting to maximise spotting. Spots were forming but they were smaller and not as crusty and they removed much eaiser. A simple flood rinse and dry with the MF towel was all that was required...

The Car wash soultion did suds up noticably better and the flood rinse seemed to sheet better them it normally does.

So while it isn't the end all be all I think I will keep using it to see...

Also I didn't charge the risens first, just screwed it on and went at it. I will write and ask if precharging was needed...

Jim

Old 06-12-2004, 07:22 PM
Nice review.

After a few more washes let us know how you like it. I'm still considering it as I don't think our water here is that hard.

Old 06-12-2004, 08:06 PM
Moderator &

95 degrees in Wisconsin today!? WOW!

Great review! I, too, look forward to hearing a bit more about your long term opinon. Be sure to post back after you've used it a few times!

RP

Old 06-12-2004, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
95 degrees in Wisconsin today!? WOW!

Great review! I, too, look forward to hearing a bit more about your long term opinon. Be sure to post back after you've used it a few times!

RP
no Rockpick was about 75 the therometer was in the sunshine (as was the truck) and was reading 95... Sorry if I wasn't clear...

JIm

Old 06-12-2004, 10:10 PM
Moderator &

HAHA! Nothing to be sorry about bud! I was just giving you a little grief. HA!

RP

Old 06-15-2004, 10:33 PM
That thing is basicly an omni house filter you can purchase at Lowes or HD. It is just set up for a hose connection.
I have very hard well water and have these in my house(the omni that is). I also hooked up to in series to one of my outdoor spiket (deticated car wash hose) with charcol filters and I get no water spots now. The entire cost was $27 dollars per filter housing and a 2 pac of charcol filters running about 6 bucks.I have had this set-up since building my house 2 years ago and have only changed the filters once, but are do for another change.
Installed a shut off valve before the filters, takes about 10 min max to change. Each filter housing even comes with a wrench for tightening and loosening the filter housing.
http://www.omnifilters.com/whole-house-filters.htm
Check them out here.

Sled...

Old 06-16-2004, 07:36 AM
Sleddogg,

Which model & filter are you using?

Old 06-16-2004, 09:29 AM
Cowboy,

I am using the OB1 with the TO1 filter I think it is. The charcol filter anyway, not exactly sure if that is the charcol or the standard. I have a total of 4 of these in my house. 2 for the house usage and 2 for the car wash spiket. I also have a water softener, but it is not connected to the filtered spiket. Should be able to pick them up at any big box or have even seen them at Wally World for the same price the web site advertises. Big box home center is better though as you can get all the fittings there too. Could buy fitting for a hose hook up to the filters. I have found you have to have 2 filters to get more complete filtration with less water spots. Three would be even better, I have thought of adding one more for a complete spot free wash. Most hands free spray wand type car washes with the spot free setting just runs through a multi stage filter system to acheive that. I watched them build a local car wash a couple years back and checked out what was installed. Sorry bout going on.
Anyway I use the OB1 with charcol.

Sled...

Last edited by sleddogg; 06-16-2004 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:53 AM
This is what I have, just went and snapped this. God I love the digital age.

Sled...

Old 06-16-2004, 11:51 AM
Thanks Sled

My Town's water is not bad at all. I get some spotting tho on the truck. I keep pausing at the Mister Clean at Home Depot. I am thinking of hooking this up as a screw-on at the spigot. Over time it would be cheaper than the Mister Clean unit.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:41 PM
the unit i am using has a risen filter the same as a water softerner...

I am renting so home modifications are out for now...

Jim

Quick Reply: Garden hose water softener/ filter