Garden hose water softener/ filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2005, 10:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've used the Mr. Clean system since it came out a couple years ago. It works great. I've only seen one drawback-I use the Zaino Brothers polish sysytem which doesn't allow the Mr Clean ionized water to sheet off as well so I have to blow it off with my leaf blower. Other then that it does the job without having to hand dry which saves a lot of time.

As for the Mr Clean filters, I only go through about 4 a year so the cost isn't much compared to going to a car wash. For me, the filters last about 10-12 washes and I'm on well water.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by 69ShelbyGT-350
I've used the Mr. Clean system since it came out a couple years ago. It works great. I've only seen one drawback-I use the Zaino Brothers polish sysytem which doesn't allow the Mr Clean ionized water to sheet off as well so I have to blow it off with my leaf blower. Other then that it does the job without having to hand dry which saves a lot of time.
Are you using their soaping step also?

I just leave the de-ionized water from the final step on the truck and it dries clear.

They say this:
"Why doesn’t the water bead up after I rinse? The sheeting action of the Dry-Rinse Polymer™ works with the Mr. Clean AutoDry Filter so that a thin layer of deionized water is left on the car’s surface (which will quickly evaporate) leaving your car spot free. Next time it rains, the beads will be back—and you get to wash again!"

Old 04-13-2005, 10:33 AM
I follow the Mr Clean instructions step by step. But for a few months after putting Zaino polish on my truck the water beads up rather then sheeting off. When the Zaino starts to wear off then the Mr Clean water sheets off.

On my other FORD vehicles, which I don't use Zaino on, the Mr Clean water sheets off as they claim.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:55 AM
If you just leave the deionized water on your truck, even if it beads up and doesn't sheet, it seems like it shouldn't leave any spots as long as all of the rinse water has been displaced with the deionized water.

What did it look like before you added the leaf blowing step?

Old 04-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Sold. Even if it works for 3 washes per filter (maybe it will?), I'll be happy.

Wasn't there a coupon or something floating around not too long ago for this thing? Hmm... off to search.

RP

Old 04-13-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
Sold. Even if it works for 3 washes per filter (maybe it will?), I'll be happy.

Wasn't there a coupon or something floating around not too long ago for this thing? Hmm... off to search.

RP

RP,
Be caeful with that coupon. They want an awful lot of info. for a lousy 3 bucks. My wife sent for one and now her mailbox is full of junk every day. Since you can now buy it for @$16. at Wallyworld, its not worth the trouble. My neighbor got the newer version which is a bit more powerful but a lot more expensive. A tip...don't let the filter dry out. It doesn't seem to work afterwards.

Old 04-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Moderator &

If you just leave the filter in it's compartment on the device (disconnected from the hose), will it dry out?

I'm incredibly unfamilar with this product...

RP

Old 04-13-2005, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
If you just leave the filter in it's compartment on the device (disconnected from the hose), will it dry out?

I'm incredibly unfamilar with this product...

RP
No, it stays full if you leave it in. The directions on the replacement filter package are a little confusing but I have left mine in since the I let one dry out and it didn't seem to work after. It didn't make the little "beads" that show that the water is ionised. (Damn, do you remember the days when you didn't have to have a kollige edumication to wash the %$#*& car?? Bucket, dish soap and an old t-shirt and you were good to go...) (Oh yeah, and some

Old 04-13-2005, 12:45 PM
Has anyone tried the Rain-X self dry car wash system?
I saw this at a local autozone the other day and was wondering how well it works. I am going to try and pick it up today after work to try it out.
I don't remember how much it was but if I get it I will be sure to post all relevant info.

Thanks,

GAry

Old 04-13-2005, 12:47 PM
Moderator &

Good deal. I appreciate all of your help.

I'll give it the trial run tomorrow if the weather holds...

-RP-

Old 04-13-2005, 02:28 PM
Goslow, regarding what it looked like prior to removing the standing water it was very beaded up. And since it was warm out I didn't want to leave the water on the paint just in case deposits would be left. So, I just blew it off to be on the safe side. It might be over kill but even Zanio recommends blowing off any water on the finish to reduce spotting and swirl marks made when you hand dry.

RP-there was a 4 dollar off coupon in the Sunday paper a couple weeks ago. I've heard the new, more powerful version is going for about 30-35 dollars. Walmart should have them and all the extra supplies. Don't worry about the filter drying out. Just keep it in the washing device until you need to change filters. Speaking of filter changes, wait till it turns a brown and then discard. Just look at the window on the filter and when it's a solid brown color then discard. I bet you get at least 8-10 rinses with it. Another way to tell if you need to change filters is if the water doesn't readily sheet off the vehicle.

Russell 336-I bet the Rain X works like the Mr. Clean though I am not familiar with the Rain X system. The nice thing about Mr. Clean is it's easy to get the soap and filters almost anywhere but once again, Walmart seems to have the best prices.

Old 04-13-2005, 10:58 PM
Moderator &

I bought one... trial run tomorrow after work.

*prays*

RP

Old 04-14-2005, 10:04 PM
Moderator &

So I tried it tonight...

Initial impression: I can't believe I'm standing here with this thing in my hand spraying my truck.

Secondary impression: My truck was nearly dry because I take the nozzle off and flood the vehicle with water; now I'm spraying a VERY fine mist of water onto the truck effectively ruining all the panels that are/were basically dry.

Last impression after a 5 mile drive down the road to 'blow' the water off of my truck: It worked; some.

Overall, on a scale of 1-10, it's a 6.5 in my book (after first use). Again, all I used it for was a final rinse using the PUR filter system. While it's a great idea, the unit is bulky, cumbersome, and very 'Fisher Price' looking. I have a hunch that, if it were dropped on the pavement, it'd break into 55 different pieces.

I still noted a few water spots (new ones -- not the ones etched in from last time that still need attention) but, overall, it did okay. A real test will show in the morning with any drips (and I have two places that drip habitually) with white calcite streaks behind them. I paid VERY close attention to these two areas and FLOODED them with 'filtered' water to, hopefully, reduce/eliminate this major PITA.

I'll use it again and, honestly, it may become a part of my 'home' routine if I'm not able to get down to the wand wash to utilize their 'spot free' (deionized) system. Honestly, I think the idea of deionized water in a garden sprayer might be cheaper in the long run but, that's a toss up I suppose. I'd feel just as stupid as I do with my leaf blower and my truck as I would with a garden sprayer and my truck I suppose. LOL!

RP

Old 04-15-2005, 12:57 AM
RP-You'll really get a better idea of how well it works when you actually do use the soap in conjunction with the deionized water. The soap aids in allowing the water to sheet off the vehicle.

I remember when I got my first Mr Clean system. I was very skeptical but bought one anyway. After using it, I was so pleased with it that I bought another one just in case I broke my first one.

In fact, tomorrow, I'm going out and buying the new, improved, super-duper model with carrying case....no, I don't have any stock in Mr Clean....wish I did....but when I find something that works and saves me time [I hate hand drying] I'm going to use it.

Old 04-15-2005, 11:05 AM
I agree with 69ShelbyGT-350, the soap portion makes a difference in the final outcome, their polymers in the soap are part of the sheeting action to get as much of the rinse water displaced as possible.

I've got the "pro series" in the case, I've dropped it once while standing on a step stool to clean the top of my truck and it survived the impact.

Quick Reply: Garden hose water softener/ filter