Garden hose water softener/ filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2005, 11:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that the way that you use this thing according to the directions really affects the result.
First, it works MUCH better if you use their soap.
Secondly, the truck has to still be wet in order for it to dry spot free aeter the final rinse. What you are doing is displacing the rinse water with the deionosed rinse water. I found that if you put the deionised water on a dry panel, it dries streaky.
Also, its not necessary to "flood" the truck with the filtered rinse. I think that it just uses up the filter. The directions say to "paint" the surface with the rinse water and that seems to work pretty well. I just let it sit don't try to "drive " the truck dry or blow the water off. I know that for me ,leaving it alone and doing nothing is hard but it works best. But it is like watching paint dry.

I absolutely agree that the design is cumbersome and it does look like a kids toy, but it saves enough time that I don't mind washing my truck every few days, which will have to give the finish a longer life.
I would give it a 7.5 - 8 after using it for a few months.

Old 04-17-2005, 02:05 AM
I agree

I agree with straps as I've had mine for about a year. I do go through the filters quite fast. My XL is the 164 inch wheelbase truck and has a lot of surface to clean. I usually do follow up with microfiber towels as needed but can leave it alone to dry unaided. A California squeegee helps to drag large areas of water off the surface. But I don't use it unless it is a cold day and drying is taking a long time. I detailed it today in the direct sun light and the air temp was about 80 degrees. I usually do the cab forward first and final spray it. Then I do the bed. Today I had a mess to clean off of bugs from a trip to the desert. So I was concerned about spottiing but when I finished up there were no spots at all. Got hard well water here too.

Old 09-07-2006, 05:43 PM
Sorry for bring this back from the dead, but I live in a small town in Kansas where everything is well water.. and the asses I rent from have no filtration system in house. I would love to add what Sled added, but just outside for car washing. How well does this work? I know two is best, in series, and with charcol filters... Is this correct? And it comes ready to be connected directly to the garden hoses outside?

Thanks
Nick

Old 09-07-2006, 09:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Carbon filtration won't really deal much with 'hard' water. It will, however, deal with contaminants like volatiles and, to a certain degree, heavy metals.

CaCO3 (calcium carbonate - limestone), which is one of the primary precipitants from hard water, will be generally unaffected by carbon.

Old 09-08-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Carbon filtration won't really deal much with 'hard' water. It will, however, deal with contaminants like volatiles and, to a certain degree, heavy metals.

CaCO3 (calcium carbonate - limestone), which is one of the primary precipitants from hard water, will be generally unaffected by carbon.
Ok, so what kind of filter should I get??

Old 09-08-2006, 04:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Several of us have invested in the Spot Free H20 filter and really like it.

Here are a few threads to get you started...

Thread One...

Thread Two...

-RP-

Quick Reply: Garden hose water softener/ filter