Garden hose water softener/ filter

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2004, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garden hose water softener/ filter

Hey guys

I ran accross this garden hose water softener on the web... supposed to prevent water spots with the PW-SOF filter...

http://www.pwgazette.com/gardenhosefilters.htm

I though you folks might be intrested...

Jim

Old 05-31-2004, 10:54 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks for the link Jimmer. I knew that several of this type of product existed out there on the market but, I've never really heard any feedback regarding how good/bad that they work.

Anyone have any insight? Can a person find something like this at their local Lowe's/Home Depot?

RP

Old 05-31-2004, 12:59 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Brad,

This looks exactly like the filter that Dad has on hie Itasca RV. You might be able to find this at a Camping World if you can't get it at a Lowes or Similar. Watch the price of stuff at Camping Worl, some of it is out of this world.

Dad's does a great job of keeping down the rust and water deposits that are normally seen at RV parks ( usually a Well ) so the faucets and hose bibs don't get caked up with lime and rust.

Steve

Old 06-01-2004, 12:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That looks pretty neat. I've never really messed with water softners before.

I'm gonna try to make an effort to look into how they work and what the water is like when it comes out. I've heard some softners make the water have more salt in it and that's definately not good to be spraying on a metal vehicle.

Remind me in a month and I might get one. I don't have any spare money to spend right now on that as I'm having to pretty much totally restock all my chemicals right now.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:15 AM
Originally posted by Intel486
That looks pretty neat. I've never really messed with water softners before.

I'm gonna try to make an effort to look into how they work and what the water is like when it comes out. I've heard some softners make the water have more salt in it and that's definately not good to be spraying on a metal vehicle.

Remind me in a month and I might get one. I don't have any spare money to spend right now on that as I'm having to pretty much totally restock all my chemicals right now.
Well I don't know alot about them, I do know they are filled with resin that grabs the minerials formt he water... Rockpick pic being a geo dude probably knows the chemestry in it.

He is a link the explains it...
http://popularmechanics.com/home_imp...rs/index.phtml

From reading when salt is an issue (as it is for us metal heads) you can also use potassium chloride (KCl) to reharge the softener, I I don't think we would be using the softener a great deal, maybe once a week so one dunk a week in the KCl and you are ready when the weather is good for the weekly washing...

I checked and Potassium Chloride about 8 bucks a 40lb bag. the resin last virtually forever as the process is Chemical so long term cost should be neglable when compaired to soap, glaze,wax ...... elbow grease...

I also looking at the unit pretty closly, water spots suck it is either that or Mr clean and I figure this is cheeper in the long run... It also lets you wash and rinse with soft water if so choose...

Jim

Old 06-01-2004, 09:11 AM
Moderator &

Well, water filtration units (softeners) do have a salt drawback however; the unit that's mentioned at the begining of this post isn't a unit of that sorts (I don't believe). It looks more like a passive filtration unit of sorts but, I'm not sure how it'd work. I assume that it's similar to the type of thing that you can attach to your faucet (like the PUR systems). Dunno...

RP

Old 06-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jimmer
Well I don't know alot about them, I do know they are filled with resin that grabs the minerials formt he water... Rockpick pic being a geo dude probably knows the chemestry in it.

He is a link the explains it...
http://popularmechanics.com/home_imp...rs/index.phtml

From reading when salt is an issue (as it is for us metal heads) you can also use potassium chloride (KCl) to reharge the softener, I I don't think we would be using the softener a great deal, maybe once a week so one dunk a week in the KCl and you are ready when the weather is good for the weekly washing...

I checked and Potassium Chloride about 8 bucks a 40lb bag. the resin last virtually forever as the process is Chemical so long term cost should be neglable when compaired to soap, glaze,wax ...... elbow grease...

I also looking at the unit pretty closly, water spots suck it is either that or Mr clean and I figure this is cheeper in the long run... It also lets you wash and rinse with soft water if so choose...

Jim
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

I'm looking for something that I could use everyday since I do mobile detailing.

Old 06-01-2004, 08:02 PM
The unit I linked using the PW-SOF filter canister is an active risen filter, basically a mini water softner.

To recharge the unit you remove the filter and soak the canister in a bucket of Sodium cloride (salt) or Potassimum cloride (KCl) soultion ...

For your use as it is portable detailer, you could connect it up to any faucet and get soft water (treats about 90 gallions they claim (depending on hardness) between recharges (soakings in the soultion)

The risens don't go bad so to speak and have an unlimited life more or less... so very economical if your using it frequently... Just use and soak kind of like Buffer pads...

Jim

Last edited by Jimmer; 06-01-2004 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-01-2004, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Well, water filtration units (softeners) do have a salt drawback however; the unit that's mentioned at the begining of this post isn't a unit of that sorts (I don't believe). It looks more like a passive filtration unit of sorts but, I'm not sure how it'd work. I assume that it's similar to the type of thing that you can attach to your faucet (like the PUR systems). Dunno...

RP
You can also use Potassium Cloride (KCI) to recharge the risens. I don't think that KCI will hurt cars as salt can.

But I am not a chemest...

Jim

Old 06-03-2004, 08:02 PM
I have ordered this set-up I will report back on how well it works...

Jim

Old 06-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Moderator &

COOL Jimmer! Please let us know! I'm EXCEEDINGLY interested in what you experience with this filter!

RP

Old 06-04-2004, 12:22 PM
That is a good deal for something like that. It will be nteresting to see how well it works.

The detailers i've seen use something like this

There were 120,000 hits when you search De ionization. I'm pretty sure the resin versus DI is night and day but if it works, might be a great alternative for us just trying to get it done. I do know that with a DI, there is no need to even touch the vehicle after rinse.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:06 PM
well water softerners also work on the ion princeable the positive chraged minerials stick to the negitively charged risen.

I hope to test it on a peice of glass and let it air dry to see how well it works note I have very hard water here...

Jim

Old 06-04-2004, 09:12 PM
My water is as hard as it comes, we are on a well. I'm interested to hear your results.

On a side note, I have those canisters we bought from ACE for my travel trailer. I just wanted to mention that the prices these guy's charge is probably less than what I paid. Seems like mine was in the $60 range just with a coarse filter.

Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile

Damn Intel!! If I had known I would have called you up to do my ride. I was in Nawlins around Xmas and New Years. Though it did rain every other day back then.,,,,98

Quick Reply: Garden hose water softener/ filter