Rockpick, help! Meguiar's virgin.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 11:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW.. is all I can say. I just did my first coat of NXT and dont think I can put on my second coat because I want to go show off before it gets dark! WOW. Very happy new user. Thanks for everyones posts and making me a Meguiars Man!

Old 06-04-2004, 08:05 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad you like it! Show us some pics!

Old 06-11-2004, 12:41 PM
Hey RockPick,

How long do you have to wait between the time you remove the coat of NXT and the time you begin your coat of #26??? Can you start the #26 as soon as you're done removing the NXT?

Old 06-11-2004, 03:00 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by butter-cheese
Hey RockPick,

How long do you have to wait between the time you remove the coat of NXT and the time you begin your coat of #26??? Can you start the #26 as soon as you're done removing the NXT?
A bare minimum of around 30 mins... Personally, I wait at least 24 hours.

Old 06-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by RED WING NUT
#26 is also a wax. Are you saying to put on one wax and then put the other wax on top of it? What would be the benefit of using 2 waxes? Is this something recommended by Meguiar's?
Red Wing,

Not an expert here but the pic below was the result of following RockPicks advice, Mid you the cameria dosn't do it justice.
Needless to say I was very impressed...

The proceedure recommended to me and that I pass to you is this,

1 Wash,
2 Clay,
3 #9
4 1st coat Nxt
5 wait 24 hrs
6 2nd coat NXT
7 wait 24
8 1st coat #26
9 2nd coat #26

Jim

Old 06-11-2004, 10:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Jeez PockPick, do you read books about this stuff or what?

Since you are the big man here, what would you suggest for bagillions of swirl marks everywhere. And I mean Everywhere.
And bagillions times bagillions of them

I just tried some Meguieareaas(sp) Gold Class paste wax on a very small spot on my tailgate and it got alot of the swirls out, but there are still some bigger ones. So whats a good thing to get those out? Thanks

Thanks

Old 06-11-2004, 11:17 PM
Moderator &

I'm suprised that Gold Class took out the swirls that you're describing....

If the swirls are extensive enough, you should probably consider hiring someone that is versed with a rotary buffer as that is the only way to remove them some of the times.

You can, however, take a stab at them yourself by utilizing Jimmer's technique. The #9 can probably remove alot of the swirls but, it may not get everything... this is where you're going to have to be more agressive and either learn to use or hire someone to use a rotary.

RP

Old 06-13-2004, 12:54 PM
thanks RP

If Im not busy later on Im gonna try to wash my truck with Dial then rewax it with that Gold Class instead of the Turtle wax we had laying around Hopefully that will get rid of some of the swirls.

My uncle has an electric buffer that my aunt might give me(he died and she doesnt know how to use it). If she does Ill wax my dads truck untill I figure out how to run it

Im definatley gonna do the clay. Any tips on using it?

Thanks

Old 06-13-2004, 05:16 PM
Moderator &

Hmm... tips on clay...

First and foremost, cut the bar into halves. This way, when you drop a piece and you MUST throw it away, you'll still have a new piece ready to roll...

What is your product knowledge on clay? I mean, do you understand, generally, what it's meant to do and generally, how to do it?

As a sidenote... I'd hold off on washing with the 'Dial' or Dawn. Really not a necessary step if you're simply applying GC in my opinion. Further, it'll have a tendency to remove any additional fillers that may already be present in the swirls and scratches on the paint. By doing this, those swirls/scratches will be considerably more noticeable.

Do you plan on using any type of polish prior to waxing?

RP

Old 06-13-2004, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by RockPick

As a sidenote... I'd hold off on washing with the 'Dial' or Dawn.
Oops To late.

I washed her down and put the wax right on. I didnt use polish, we only had some Turtle Wax polish layin around and it had dirt and rocks in it(my dad droped it)
The wax shined it up pretty good and got a fair amount of the swirls out.

My knowledge on clay. Hmm. This is like a test. I know its sposed to make your finish smooth and do away with the unevenness of the paint. That is about the extent of my nowledge on clay.
I jsut heard it does good for bad paint.

huh, now I fee like a nitwit

Old 06-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Moderator &

Well, you're half-right on the clay.

Clay won't fix any unevenness on your paint but, it will remove the stuck on/in stuff that washing alone won't touch. Items of this nature are typically composed of rail dust (embedded metal), tar, sap, bugs, etc...

It's simple to use...

Just apply some sort of lubricant (like Meguiar's Quik Detailer or Final Inspection) and work the bar in a back and forth motion across one 2X2 foot section at a time. Wipe the area dry. Feel it. Feel like glass? It should. If you still feel a texture or 'rough bumps', reapply.

BUT...

Now that you've waxed the truck, if you clay, you'll need to re-wax the truck as the clay can and will remove a certain degree of the coverage that you applied.

So...

1. Wash (with a high-quality car shampoo like Meguiar's Gold Class or something of equal quality).

2. Clay

3. Wash (optional step)

4. Polish (optional step to remove swirls etc...)

5. Wax

RP

Old 06-14-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks

Old 06-14-2004, 05:06 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Bartak1
Thanks
Not a problem bud. Let us know if you have additional comments/questions.

RP

Quick Reply: Rockpick, help! Meguiar's virgin.