Meguiars ColorX

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2004, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 2 pics and they are 1100KB. My camera was set to 1280x960 res. Walk me through it and I'll set up a gallery.

Last edited by Rio J; 07-09-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:00 PM
I've used the ColorX a couple of times.

Car #1: My mom's '98 Expedition for Mother's Day. The truck hadn't been waxed in ~4 years so and the paint was in terrible condition. I did the whole truck with ColorX and followed up with a Mother's cleaner wax w/carnuba. The truck looked good, but it would have looked better with a bit more aggressive polish IMO.

Car #2: My '04. I had some sort of chemical damage to the clear coat just forward of the rear tire on the driver's side on a 10" x 10" patch. The clear coat was hazy and felt rough. I went over it with a Mother's clay bar first and it didn't help at all. 2 minutes with the ColorX and my ElCheapo buffer and it looked like new.

It will take out minor swirl marks, but I'd get something more aggressive if you have major swirl marks or severe oxidation.

Grim

Old 07-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Grim
It will take out minor swirl marks, but I'd get something more aggressive if you have major swirl marks or severe oxidation.
That's EXACTLY correct. I'd never make any claim other than what you just said as it is a consumer product and will only address minor swirling/scratching. The diminshing abrasives that are contained in the product are minimal as you don't put an overly aggressive product (like Meg's #84) in a consumer bottle and sell it at WallyWorld. No company in their right mind would attempt that type of stunt...

Excellent comment Grim. I agree 200% with you!!

RP

Old 07-09-2004, 11:44 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Rio J
I have 2 pics and they are 1100KB. My camera was set to 1280x960 res. Walk me through it and I'll set up a gallery.
Click here and you should be able to walk right through it...

Old 07-10-2004, 12:01 AM
Yeah, I was working on the gallery when you posted that. I never noticed there was even a gallery available on this board. Try this:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...w.cfm?num=6470

Last edited by Rio J; 08-21-2004 at 02:59 PM.
Old 07-13-2004, 02:58 PM
To add my own comments...

We have a 99 Chevrolet Venture Minivan that is bright red. The front end was repaired/repaited about 1.5 years ago and has not held up well. The van has always been waxed, but it had lots of small scratches, etc. I have tried many things on it and never been really satisified.

This past weekend, I washed with Mequiars car wash (purple stuff). I then applied Color X, followed by NXT, followed by #26. All work was by hand, and the results are simply amazing. With the van in sunlight, you can still see some of the small scratches, but it looks REALLY good, and has a nice smooth finish. I highly recommend this combo.

FWIW, I think the red/darker paints show better with the NXT/#26 combo...

Old 07-14-2004, 10:33 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by JSCOTT
FWIW, I think the red/darker paints show better with the NXT/#26 combo...
I agree totally.

I'm glad that the Color-X NXT combo worked out well for you!

Old 07-16-2004, 08:48 AM
Moderator &

I just found this over at meguiarsonline.com and thought I'd post it. In my opinion, this really shows what good products, applied by hand, can do....

You see, you don't have to apply it all by machine to get stellar results...

Before:

After:

The user claims that this is a single coat of Color-X topped with a single coat of NXT Tech Wax. Both were hand applied... The results speak for themselves.

WOW!

RP

Old 07-17-2004, 06:36 PM
Looks good. The previous owner took really good care of my truck so the results weren't that dramatic for me but it does have a nice glow on sunny says.

My wife has a silver 99 Accord and I did the Color X/NXT treatment on it last week. It is silver and I really didn't expect much of a difference in shine but boy does it look good now! I didn't know silver could have such good reflective qualities.

Old 07-18-2004, 07:11 PM
The ColorX is a pretty nice product given the price and market it is intended for. However, a couple of months ago I tried the ColorX against some of the old Meguiar's Cleaner Wax, (consumer - purple bottle) and didn't see a lot of difference. The ColorX "might" have a tad more cleaning/polishing ability......... but I didn't see much. Of course, the Meguiar's Cleaner Wax was also a pretty good consumer product.

As a couple of people have mentioned in this thread, more serious swirls will require a bit more abrasive product to get the job done.

Old 07-18-2004, 11:07 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks guys.

If that first picture didnt look like it was brightened and faded I would believe it a little more-if those are real-dang, that looks awsome.

Quick Reply: Meguiars ColorX