Detail Basics

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2004, 11:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't help it...

Old 06-22-2004, 04:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh dear god... I'm not even in the mood to debate this stupid poop...

Old 06-22-2004, 06:06 PM
Im still waiting for my mini novel.. hehe

Old 06-22-2004, 10:23 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Jaguar
Who said that they were going to do that?!?

Old 06-22-2004, 10:35 PM
Moderator &

Nah don't bother writing a novel. Just tell me where I can get some of the products like NXT, and some good microfiber towels Mr. Rockpick! hehe

Jag
Alrighty chico... here goes.

APT's recomendation of:

Wash
Clay
Rinse
Paint Cleaner/mild polish
Wax

is, in my opinion, dead on....

Again, most of what all I'm going to say is opinion. I am a very firm advocate of Meguiar's products as they have always yielded expectations that met or exceeded what I wanted to achieve. I can only think of one or two times where I've tried a product from them and thought that I wouldn't use it again. Long story short, you don't stay in the surface care industry for over 100 years putting out crappy products that don't perform.

So, with that in mind...

1. Wash -- I like Meguiar's Gold Class Car Shampoo (available at Targetto by the gallon cheap). NXT Car Wash is a close second (again, at Targetto). Be sure to follow the dilution ratios to the T. I'd further recommend a two-bucket system wash.

2. Clay -- There are a bunch of great clay systems out there and, to keep you from having to order a bunch of stuff or have you track it down all over creation at Paint and Body Shop Supply Houses, I'd run to your local Pep or AutoZ and grab a kit from Clay Magic. It's a good product that isn't very difficult to find.

Clay will remove the stuck on surface contamination that washing alone doesn't get. This may include sap, tar, and bugs just to name a few items. Ultimately, you're wanting your paint to feel like GLASS prior to any application of other products. This is what you'll hear us refer to as surface prep.

3. Rinse -- Basically, I'd wash again.

4. Paint Cleaner/Polish -- For simplicity purposes again, I'd recommend going with something like the Meguiar's Deep Crystal 3-step system. (Burgandy bottles labled 1, 2, 3 with 1 being cleaner, 2 being polish, 3 being wax -- skip the 3.).

5. Wax -- NXT. Available at Targetto however; tough to find as it's selling like hotcakes.

ONE MORE STEP

6. Maintain -- Buy a bottle of Meguiar's Quick Detailer (consumer line product that is available just about everywhere they sell car care stuff). Mist on, wipe off.

Speaking of wiping, grab some nice microfiber towels from a reputable resource like premiumautocare.com (the plush blue and the waffle weave drying towels are AWESOME). They might seem a bit pricey but, once you experience a towel like this, you'll NEVER go back.

That help out a little?

RP

Old 06-23-2004, 03:06 PM
Moderator &

Pauses. Looks around. Pauses again. Shrugs.

Old 06-23-2004, 04:08 PM
Rockpick,

Thanks for the post, I now have a few questions. For one, I went to Target today and picked up the NXT and Quik Detailer. I was unable to find claybars in any Pepboys near me so I will need another source. If you could recommend where I can get that, it would be cool.

Now.. I washed and did a quick wax just this past weekend on my truck. But.. no clay etc. I just washed it, and applied just one coat of good old number 26. I just love that stuff.

Now.. in order to do it right, I should most likely wash, clay, NXT, and then perhaps good ole number 26 on top of the NXT? Please let me know.

Also, do you have a quick tips on the claybar? Or do most kits come with decent directions? What do I need to do with regards to lubrication while using clay? I assume you dont use it dry!

In addition, which exact mf towels do you use? And do you use them for both drying the truck after a wash and for buffing off polish and or wax? I dont have a wheel right now so its good ole elbow work for me. LOL

And.. what do you use for applying wax/polish? Do you recommend the sponge or terry type applicators?

And most important. Thanks for replying back to my post with some great info...

Jag

Old 06-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Moderator &

I shall reply this evening god willing.

RP

Old 06-23-2004, 04:12 PM
Thank you sir!

Old 06-23-2004, 10:35 PM
Moderator &

Sorry... not going to happen tonight so, if someone else wants to take a stab at this one, feel free. If not, I'll try to post tomorrow night...

It's been a very long evening (considering that an Irish Pub was involved)...

G'nite.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:17 PM
Not a prob man. Whenever you get to it, you get to it.

Jag

Old 06-24-2004, 07:51 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Autozone also sells Clay Magic which is a top rated clay. If you don't have Autozone, I am sure other auto parts stores sell other brands. If there is a Sherwin Williams Automotive, they can get you Meguiars stuff usually the next day if not in stock.

Most clay bars come with its own lubricant in a spray bottle. You can follow their directions, but I find another techniquie works better.

After I wash the vehicle, I don't dry it. I rinse out my wash bucket, and make another car wash solution. I clean the wash mitt or use another one to wash the vehicle again, sort of. I just put the car wash shampoo solution on a body panel and then start rubbing the clay over it. Then rinse that body panel. Continue to the next panel until the whole vehicle is complete. Then, a final rinse and dry. Now, it is ready for polish/paint cleaner and wax. This is more efficient that drying the vehicle after a wash, they using the spray lubricant which often times people do not use enough, and re-washing after claying.

Lubrication is the key. The clay bar should slide smoothly over the paint. If it starts to grab or streak, more lube. Use light pressure on the clay bar, not a lot. You'll know when a section is clean by the feel of rubbing the clay bar itself. The feeling changes and you'll know it. Everyone does. Like RP said, it will feel smoother than a baby's behind (or glass) by your hand.

Before you start, cut up the clay bar into about 4 pieces. If you drop a clay bar, you must throw it away. It will pick up too much dirt on the ground that you do not want to rub on your paint. Smaller pieces means less waste when you drop, and another trip to the store in the middle of your process.

Last edited by APT; 06-25-2004 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06-25-2004, 10:02 AM
Moderator &

Now.. in order to do it right, I should most likely wash, clay, NXT, and then perhaps good ole number 26 on top of the NXT? Please let me know.
Yup. I'd probably go with two coats of NXT (30 mins between coats).

Also, do you have a quick tips on the claybar? Or do most kits come with decent directions? What do I need to do with regards to lubrication while using clay? I assume you dont use it dry!

See APT's response. Thanks APT!

In addition, which exact mf towels do you use? And do you use them for both drying the truck after a wash and for buffing off polish and or wax?
I've got a bunch. I have Meguiar's Ultimate Wipe (pretty good towel) and OODLES of premiumautocare.com's blue plush towel (www.premiumautocare.com). I REALLY LIKE THE PAC TOWELS! They're much larger and they are really nice quality.

And.. what do you use for applying wax/polish? Do you recommend the sponge or terry type applicators?

Personally, when I'm applying by hand I utilize terry applicators however; I did buy some MF applicators recently and am somewhat anxious to give them a whirl. I like a 'fluffy' applicator if at all possible. Just a personal preference. I don't like foam for some reason.

RP

Old 06-25-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks to both APT and Rockpick for taking the time to answer my questions.

Looks like I have to order some claybar and some towels. Then I should be ready to rock and roll!

Jag

Old 06-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Moderator &

Quick Reply: Detail Basics