Where should I send the bill?

Old 06-25-2004, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I will just get you that Wendy's lunch that I promised you awhile back.. hehe

Jag

Old 06-28-2004, 07:55 PM
Lubrication is the key.
Very correct. Theres always time for lubrication. I figured with all you pervs on here (like me), yall would have beat me to this one

Old 07-09-2004, 11:58 AM
Well my order has been placed for the supplies. They should be here today. Looks like its a detail weekend!

Jag

Old 07-09-2004, 01:25 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Jaguar
Well my order has been placed for the supplies. They should be here today. Looks like its a detail weekend!

Jag
We look forward to hearing about your impressions and results! Please feel free to ask additional questions if they arise!

RP

Old 07-10-2004, 04:17 PM
Thumbs up

Hey RockPick and APT, thank you so much for the great tips. I just shined her up this morning:

Wash-Meguiars Shampoo (Conditioner is better, no shampoo is better). Two bucket system is a great idea.

Clay-Used Clay Magic, I had to order it online. I don't think this place has ever heard of a clay bar except in the damn soil. The clay bar is amazing. I couldn't believe how it removed things I thought were scratches or chips. It kicked *** on those bugs too.
I clayed like APT recommended, used clean car wash solution as the lube.

Rinse

Meguiars Paint Cleaner- this is where it really started to "snap"

Meguiars Polish- I gave up on the orbital half way through and resorted to the elbow grease. The terricloth pad kept wanting to fly off. Cheap orbital polisher.

Finally, NXT

I liked the Micro fiber, very soft, but it didn't really work well until the was removing the polish. I would use them again. Luckily they sell those in my local Advanced Auto Parts

I think the 5+ hours was worth it

Old 07-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Moderator &

Great job man! I'm glad it all worked out for you and that we were able to help out a bit.

Old 07-12-2004, 12:28 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad everything worked smoothly for you. I don't know how much clay does for appearance unless you are going for mirror reflections, but it sure does help the feel.

You only need to do that whole process once or twice per year. Just add more NXT every 4 months and you'll save some time.

Old 07-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by APT
You only need to do that whole process once or twice per year. Just add more NXT every 4 months and you'll save some time.
I forgot to mention earlier. My "FX4" decal on the bed had like this I guess glue or something running down it at an angle. It annoyed me for the longest time, so I hit it with the claybar. It kicked ***, all gone

So between now and the next 4 months just use QD or NXT detailer after washing, correct?

And when I do NXT wax again, just wash, dry and wax, correct? No other surface prep?

BTW, I love accidentally rubbing against my truck. Smooth as a babies bottom.

Thanks again APT

Old 07-13-2004, 09:51 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Zoltan
So between now and the next 4 months just use QD or NXT detailer after washing, correct?

Really not a thing wrong with that plan but, NXT doesn't have a 'detailer' product on the market. You may be referring to NXT Booster Wax. This is a good product to utilize between waxxings to keep the level of protection high.

And when I do NXT wax again, just wash, dry and wax, correct? No other surface prep?

Wash, dry, and wax. Surface preparation is going to be dependent upon how your vehicle feels and looks. If you have swirls, you may or may not want to utilize an abrasive polish so that you can remove those scratches and such. Further, if you have stuck-on contamination or other fallout, you may or may not want to clay.

In short, the individual must assess their finish to determine if further surface prep, beyond washing, is necessary. Every finish is different.

BTW, I love accidentally rubbing against my truck. Smooth as a babies bottom.

It is a nice feeling isn't it?

RP

Old 07-13-2004, 10:19 AM
You guys ever heard of or used MALCO automotive products? I guy I know was bragging about the stuff. Never heard of it, and I tend to stick to the reputable manufacturers.

Old 07-13-2004, 04:46 PM
RP,

Once more question regarding the Meg's 3 step system you pointed out to me (minus 3 of course).

Do I really need to use number 1 cleaner? Or can I just go right to bottle number 2 polish. Reason I am asking is bc my paints is not really bad with scratches etc. If you feel however that his will help the paint and improve shine quality, I will do it no problem.

Also I think I asked this b4 but... After two coats of NXT is it OK to use number 26 as a top coat? Or is that overkill and will ruin the NXT shine/protection factor.

Lemme know when you get a chance. I did not get a chance to even wash the truck this past weekend let alone wax it...

Thanks again,

Jag

Old 07-14-2004, 10:26 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Zoltan
You guys ever heard of or used MALCO automotive products? I guy I know was bragging about the stuff. Never heard of it, and I tend to stick to the reputable manufacturers.
I haven't personally heard of the brand. There are oodles upon oodles of 'bathtub blenders' out there that are selling products on a more local/regional scale. I've heard of several that are said to be very good.

RP

Old 07-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Jaguar
RP,

Once more question regarding the Meg's 3 step system you pointed out to me (minus 3 of course).

Do I really need to use number 1 cleaner? Or can I just go right to bottle number 2 polish. Reason I am asking is bc my paints is not really bad with scratches etc. If you feel however that his will help the paint and improve shine quality, I will do it no problem.

Also I think I asked this b4 but... After two coats of NXT is it OK to use number 26 as a top coat? Or is that overkill and will ruin the NXT shine/protection factor.

Lemme know when you get a chance. I did not get a chance to even wash the truck this past weekend let alone wax it...

Thanks again,

Jag
My personal opinion having not stood over your paint and looked at it.... I'd go ahead and do the #1 step. Reason being is that it certainly won't hurt the finish and, if anything, will add a bit of clarity to the surface of the paint prior to application of polish. It may or may not need it but, as a safety move, I'd do it.

Two coats of NXT followed by a coat or two of #26 is no problem. Beyond that, you're going to probably see some 'smearing' or other smudge looking effects caused by too much build up. The general rule of thumb is 3 or 4 coats total is as much as will work before you start removing what you put on prior to whatever you're applying.

In short, if you're applying 18 coats of #26, what you're probably really doing is putting 3 coats on and removing that fourth coat with the fifth through the eighteenth. This is often referred to as diminishing returns.

RP

Quick Reply: Detail Basics