Detail Basics

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RP,

Thanks as always. I will use the cleaner/polish combo. If I can ever get a day without rain to at least start it..

Jag

Old 07-16-2004, 12:00 PM
Forgot to ask. What do you guys use for tire dressing? Also what do you detail you interior with. e.g. Dashboard, door panels etc.

Thanks again,

Jag

Old 07-16-2004, 12:10 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I use 303 Aerospace Protectant on interiors applied with microfiver towel. I love the low gloss & lint free finish. Kind of pricey, but I bought a gallon after I tried an 8oz bottle.

For anything glossy where 303 smears, I use Stoners Invisible Glass.

Old 07-16-2004, 04:28 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Jaguar
Forgot to ask. What do you guys use for tire dressing? Also what do you detail you interior with. e.g. Dashboard, door panels etc.

Thanks again,

Jag
Tires = Meguiar's Endurance High Gloss and Meguiar's Hot Shine Tire Spray

Glass - Stoner's Invisible Glass

Dash/Panels - Either Vinylex or Meguiar's #40

Old 07-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Well I finally detailed my truck yesterday. Took me pretty much all day too, and its still not totally done.

In any event, I was really impressed.

OMG, I can't believe how good the clay bar works. I was a bit skeptical at first thinking to myself is this thing really doing anything at all? All I can say is WOW!!! I can't believe how SMOOTH my paint is now. It's NEVER felt this good. As a matter of fact, I would say that it's smoother than a baby's bottom!

After that, I did Megs paint cleaner number 1, polish number 2, followed up with NXT. What a shine! I still want to follow up with a coat of #26 ASAP. But I figure I could always wait until after I wash my truck again.

Well I could say more, but I know you guys already know how good these products are. So a big THANK YOU to all of you that helped me out here. It made detailing fun (even tho its hard work at first). But the end result, is nothing short of awesome. My neighbor's are staring at my truck now. Maybe I should offer to detail there's for $$$$

Jag

Old 07-19-2004, 08:24 PM
OK... quick question. Is it TOTALLY necessary to follow up with Meg's # 26 after two coats of NXT?

Also, depends whether or not I *do* add the number 26 I would assume.

As maintenance now, should I get Meg's Quik Detailer or should I buy the NXT line of spray wax etc...

Thanks again guys,

Jag

Old 07-19-2004, 09:51 PM
Moderator &

OK... quick question. Is it TOTALLY necessary to follow up with Meg's # 26 after two coats of NXT?

Also, depends whether or not I *do* add the number 26 I would assume.

As maintenance now, should I get Meg's Quik Detailer or should I buy the NXT line of spray wax etc...

Thanks again guys,

Jag
Good questions Jag.

No, it's not absolutely necessary to follow with #26 as a top coat. The main reason most of us do this is to get that rich, deep, dark look that a good carnauba wax provides. Many have said that they simply love the look of NXT (and I'm one of those people on certain colors) but, many have expressed a 'too glossy' (sometimes called suran wrapped) look. To curtail that overly glossy look, the #26 was utilized.

Personally, I find that NXT looks very good on most silver and neutral colors (tan etc) but, when you start going to either end of the spectrum (white or black) it's almost too glossy and the #26 really gives it some much needed depth and richness. (nevermind the additional protection because, with two coats of NXT, you're protected pretty darn well IMO) Make sense?

In short, it's totally up to you and your personal preference.

Meguiar's Quick Detailer or NXT Spray Wax...

This is a VERY common misconception within the detailing world. These are two VERY different products meant for VERY different purposes.

You see, the NXT Booster Wax is just that; a booster wax. It's meant to 'boost' protection inbetween waxings and probably wouldn't necessarily be utilized very often. Also, my personal opinion about this product is, well, fairly low. I didn't have much luck with it and found it to be difficult to use. I've tried it a few different ways (spraying it directly on the truck, spraying it on an applicator, spraying it in my nose); none seemed to be easy to use. Of course, that's my opinion and others may disagree. It did shine pretty nice but, it's just not a product I'll utilize further.

Quick Detailer (or a similar product that a lot of us LOVE called Final Detail) is meant to be used as a detailing mist. Use this type of product to remove dust, finger prints, and as a quick solution to bird poo or other surface fallout. It is, by no means, meant to be a 'protection' type of product (like NXT Booster).

Most of us pack a bottle of QD or FD with us in our trucks for a quick touch-up or to deal with a bird bomb. I wouldn't leave home without it! (in fact, I use it just about every day).

Clear as mud?

RP

Old 07-20-2004, 09:17 AM
RP,
I am glad this post was started because I am in need of your help with my situation...who knows maybe someone else is in the same boat and can tell me what they do.
I live in Falls Church, VA...basically Washington DC. Anyways around here NO ONE seems to believe in washing their cars themselves. I am not a homeowner so I cant use my driveway, and my townhouse doesnt have a hookup so there is no way I can wash my own truck (not even a local DIY Car wash). I am forced to deal with whats out there, and most of the high end washes have hand drying that put more scratches in the paint than you can imagine (I actually had to go back once and ask how many times they droped those towels in gravel).
Anyways I have been using one of these and then going home to detail and in between using the Quick Detail spray. If you were in this situation (even if it is probably your nightmare) how would you handle it? Do I still follow the same steps here? I cannot wash my truck weekly and I dont like using Quick Detail when it really should be washed. Options? Advice? Anybody, thanks.

Old 07-20-2004, 09:34 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by EddyG88
RP,
I am glad this post was started because I am in need of your help with my situation...who knows maybe someone else is in the same boat and can tell me what they do.
I live in Falls Church, VA...basically Washington DC. Anyways around here NO ONE seems to believe in washing their cars themselves. I am not a homeowner so I cant use my driveway, and my townhouse doesnt have a hookup so there is no way I can wash my own truck (not even a local DIY Car wash). I am forced to deal with whats out there, and most of the high end washes have hand drying that put more scratches in the paint than you can imagine (I actually had to go back once and ask how many times they droped those towels in gravel).
Anyways I have been using one of these and then going home to detail and in between using the Quick Detail spray. If you were in this situation (even if it is probably your nightmare) how would you handle it? Do I still follow the same steps here? I cannot wash my truck weekly and I dont like using Quick Detail when it really should be washed. Options? Advice? Anybody, thanks.
I, too, had a similar situation back at my apartment (then I discovered the one spicket that was hooked up to my building -- that I wasn't supposed to use -- that I used weekly ).

Here's what I'd do if I were you...

Find a self-service car wash and ONLY utilize the water from the wash. Pack a bucket and shampoo to the bay with you. (please note, many car washes have signs up specifically forbidding hand washing -- this is why I use those car wash bays LATE at night when it's highly unlikely that anyone would bark at you). Pack your own towels and such as well.

It'll probably take several rounds to get it done right but, I'd spend $10 there on my own rather than paying $10 to have someone do it the wrong way.

One thing is for sure; don't use QD if your vehicle really needs to be washed. The lubricity that it provides is very inadequate to remove a higher degree of dirt.

There is another option for your QD needs when your vehicle is dirty though.... it's called Poorboy's Spray and Wipe. This is something that you're going to have to order (hence the PAC link) but, it's a great product that I like to use when the vehicle is just slightly dirty (more than dust/fingerprints). Again though, you will need to utilize plenty in order to assure the lubrication is there.

RP

Old 07-20-2004, 10:21 AM
Thanks for your help. The thing is even a DIY car bar is not existant, I think I found one at a gas station but its out of order 9/10 times I have stopped. I will give the PoorBoys a try though. I try to only use the QD with water spots and light dust. But as you already know, with a black truck everything shows and I like to keep the deepest shine I can. Also is there any risk to using too much NXT and Carnuba? Because washing is such a big deal, as soon as I wash it I usually run the NXT and Meguiars Step #3 pure carnuba over it again (typically bi/tri weekly). The big thing without the good washing was I was afraid of causing bad swirls like the dealer would. Thanks for your help. Its crazy to think that everyone in the beltway goes to these carwashes or just ride their bmw with 3 inches thick of dirt on em. Honestly I have gone offroading and come back cleaner than some of these $50k+ cars.

Old 07-20-2004, 12:03 PM
RP,

Thanks for the heads up about the waxes and QD's etc. So far I like the look of just NXT. Perhaps I will try some good ole number 26 in one area to see if I like that better.

In any event, you have been most helpful and I really have to thank you for that!

Cheers man!

Jag

Old 07-20-2004, 02:00 PM
Moderator &

In any event, you have been most helpful and I really have to thank you for that!
No problem buddy. You'll get my bill in the mail.

Old 07-20-2004, 11:07 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
No problem buddy. You'll get my bill in the mail.
I thought it was just a lunch at Wendy's.

Old 07-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Moderator &

I thought it was just a lunch at Wendy's.
Just lunch? Pfft...

I meant you were going to be buying me a franchise!

Old 07-26-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Just lunch? Pfft...

I meant you were going to be buying me a franchise!
A franchise.. Pffft... Its gonna be a spicy chicken sandwich for you buddy!

Jag

Quick Reply: Detail Basics