Went to get get my truck washed/waxed

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 11:00 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dzervit
Buyer beware, detail shops aren't mind readers.
This is why a good detail guy will go over the vehicle with you prior to you leaving it. I've had several folks approach me about detailing their vehicle and have very unrealisitic expectations (I mean, I can't remove a 2" deep dent with a rotary ya know?).

This is, in my opinion, the MOST CRITICAL STEP when conducting a detailing business. The customers are the reason you're in business and if you're not meeting and exceeding expectations, you're not going to be in business long. As a detail guy, I have to make certain that everyone is on the same page when they pull out. If not, they're going to come back and be upset that the 2" ding hasn't been removed and that, for some reason, I wasn't able to get that key mark out that was down to metal.

Moral of the story: Make sure you're on the same page with whoever you hire to detail the truck. Point out things that you want taken care of (aka: the light swirling) and emphasize that it's important that it be handled correctly.

Another helpful hint: Don't go to a high-volume detailer. I specialize in doing one or two cars a weekend (as this is a sideline job for me). Volume detailers (and I can't speak for all of them as I'm sure there are some really good ones) typically buy lots of chemicals in massive bulk and then go slack on dilutions or procedures (as they hire untrained, unprofessional folks that don't know the limitations of products (or for that case, what the products are supposed to be utilized to do).

I've heard several folks leave a high-vol detailer to go to a 'ma & pa' type of sceneraio so that they can fix what the high-volume guy trashed.

Again, it's a long drive up here to Kentucky but, I'm available this weekend (right after the 1997 Red Corvette that I'm doing Saturday).

RP

Old 07-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by APT
Do you earn as much in your OT as you pay for the detail? If you make $50/hr in OT and they charge you $100 for something you could do in less thantwo hours, you should consider doing it yourself. Oportunity cost.
Opportunity cost....

Ok, let's look at this from a bit of a different angle. Before you decided to make this remark, did you take the time to consider that the overtime may not be OPTIONAL? You see, not everyone has the luxury of optional overtime. (You know the picture perfect scenario where he wants to make some more money, so he decides to work some overtime.)

Perhaps he has deadlines to meet and can't afford to leave early. "Opportunity Cost" isn't the issue here, job performance and quality is.

In the phone company, overtime is often mandatory. 7am-7pm Mon-Sat for example. I was once put on this schedule for 6 months. In this case, "Opportunity Cost" is not the issue, value of free time is.

While he did jump the gun on leaving early, bashing him on "Opportunity Cost" was not necessary, if not totally rediculous.

Perhaps some Greater Houston folks could just give him a couple of proven detailers to look into. Then this thread could end with everyone happy. I have a short list in the D/FW Area, but the 4 hour drive would be kinda silly.

Old 07-14-2004, 11:12 AM
Where did you take your vehicle? I live in Houston as well, and have been told the Car Masseuse is a very good company to go to. There's a place out in Sugar Land that did a good job on my vehicle (car wash only).

Old 07-14-2004, 01:01 PM
I enjoy doing my truck myself. But not in Houston in June - September when, like yesterday, it was 95 degrees and 90% humidity. At one time there was a good detailer at Briar Forest/Dairy Asford area. I have not been there in some time as I live in the SouthBelt area (Gulf Fry at the Beltway). I have not found any great detailers in this area. If anyone is aware of any, let us know. I work in Clear Lake and you would think that there woud be one or two here.

Old 07-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Coma, where was the place in Sugar Land? Thanks

Old 07-14-2004, 01:55 PM
i use the mr. clean car wash machine and it works very well. no need to dry the truck off. the filters don't really last for 10 washes.... only about 5 but thats OK. i can be finished in less than an hour.

if i use the mequires spray wax (once in a while) it might take me 2 hours total.

twice a year (fall and spring) i do a real wax job and then it will take longer 3-4 hours.

might investigate that mr. clean think. i like it.

Old 07-14-2004, 02:01 PM
The Mr Clean thing is great. I have really hard water and the windows spot which are a pain to get off. With the Mr. Clean, no spots, anywhere on the truck. I do more thourough washings when I do have the time.

Old 07-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by revag12
Coma, where was the place in Sugar Land? Thanks
Prestige Car Wash. Best car wash I've ever had (that I didn't do myself that is)

Old 07-14-2004, 04:25 PM
i dont know how far you are from katy texas. but at the corner of mason and kingsland there is a hand wash/detail place. they do absolutley amazing work. they wont pass up a single inch on your truck. they are somewhat pricy but the work the do is y i dont mind returning time and time again!

Old 07-14-2004, 07:28 PM
Sidelt, where in the phone company do you work? I also live in the DFW area and work for the phone company. I work in TXC in the NOC.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:46 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Sidelt
Opportunity cost....
While he did jump the gun on leaving early, bashing him on "Opportunity Cost" was not necessary, if not totally rediculous.
I didn't bash him for opportunity cost. I bashed him because he doesn't know very much about detailing. Rockpick was just a little more PC about it. I also presented a possible solution to his situation.

Everything relates to oportunity cost because time is a limited resource. If a certain position has "madatory overtime", it still isn't mandatory. You can always find another position that doesn't require that. Choices we make.

Originally posted by 04_F150Lariat
Whatever man. If I take it to the detail shop I'd just want to get it washed, buffed and waxed. No shampooing, leather cleaning or any of that extra fancy stuff. I doubt it would cost me over $100. And for your info I can afford it. Its not like I'd be doing this every week. Like I said before, I dont want to take the time and do it myself for whatever reason. And about posting this here. My bad if it pisses you off but I was talking about my 04 F150. But whatever man. I dont know why some of you dudes gotta be so rude man. Iwas just asking if someone could recommend a good detail shop
Why do you doubt it will cost $100? Didn't you get a quote when you dropped it off at the last place? In my limited experience, $100 is low for a professional detailer for wash, polish, and wax for a full sized pickup.

My point about where you posted this was for your own benefit, not to be pissy. You'll get more exposure to the right audience (locals) that can recommend a good detailer if you post in your regional forum. Furthermore, you are asking for a recommended detailer, who probably details more vehicles than 2004 F-150's. Again, better exposure by going to the right place. You are a newbie, at least on here. My original post wasn't the most polite response, but it was meant to help you utilize F150online.

BTW, you weren't just asking for a good detailer, you gave your situation, then asked. If you just would have posted this:

Topic: Houston Detailers
Message: Can anyone recommend a great professional detailer in the greater Houston area?

You would have received more positive responses.

I'll be a little more helpful this time:

Reputable Houston Detailers

Old 07-15-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by oscar_a_wiggy
i use the mr. clean car wash machine and it works very well. no need to dry the truck off. the filters don't really last for 10 washes.... only about 5 but thats OK. i can be finished in less than an hour.

if i use the mequires spray wax (once in a while) it might take me 2 hours total.

twice a year (fall and spring) i do a real wax job and then it will take longer 3-4 hours.

might investigate that mr. clean think. i like it.
Wow, I typically wash my truck bi-weekly which always includes a minimum of a spray wax, but typically a NTX and/or sealer. Then again its black truck and looks dirty again in 10 minutes (bad dirt that it)...good dirt = mudding/offroading...bad dirt=bird *****/water spots.
I have heard great things about mr clean as well. With all the clear coat scratches the last hand cash wash here did (supposedly the best in the area, I will be doing my own washing far more)
Total time per wash/wax = 3 hours, well spent time.

Old 07-15-2004, 12:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Moved to General Care...

Old 07-15-2004, 01:01 PM
Talking

Use 5 Star Shine instead of wax. 100 times better then wax!!! I put some on my Sport Trac and my sisters Mustang. It's been like 6 months and they still look better then 1 day old coat of wax. My next project is to 5 Star my 04 Supercrew that I picked up yesterday!!

Old 07-15-2004, 01:46 PM
in responce to "i only use the "real wax" twice a year" .... reason is when i was younger i had an 86 transam. awesome car and i loved it. washed and waxed it all the time, probrably more than once a week. well all that rubbing wore right thru the clear coat. paint was never the same after that.

i know paint technology is much better now, but twice a year is all i will do with the regular wax and with spray wax touch ups maybe once a month.

just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Went to get get my truck washed/waxed