Cleaner / Polish ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by BostonCowboy
YA KNOW............

I can see this becoming another addiction.....

While I have you on the line,

Can I put #9, #80 on with a black Lake Country pad or should I be using a white? I also have an orange LC, but I did not want to get too aggressive??

I am going to need another storage locker for all this crap....
BC,

I'm not familar with the LC pads either. However, I would use whatever pad they call their "polishing" pad............. I wouldn't use to coarse a pad (cutting), or to fine a pad (finishing).

Hope that helps.

Old 07-19-2004, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
I've heard several folks say that #80 is their favorite Meguiar's product.

I've toyed with it at Meguiar's home office but really didn't have enough time to get a feel for the product.

RP
RP,

You might want to "toy" with the #80 some more. It really is nice stuff. If you think you are us against some swirls that "might" be at tad too much for #9, and #83 might be a bit of overkill, then the #80 might be just the ticket. I like that fact that it polishes/glazes in one step.

Again, to me, it has a bit different look than #9/#7 combo....... a bit more of a sealant type look that should go great with NXT.

Old 07-19-2004, 09:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Boss_429
RP,

You might want to "toy" with the #80 some more. It really is nice stuff. If you think you are us against some swirls that "might" be at tad too much for #9, and #83 might be a bit of overkill, then the #80 might be just the ticket. I like that fact that it polishes/glazes in one step.

Again, to me, it has a bit different look than #9/#7 combo....... a bit more of a sealant type look that should go great with NXT.
Thanks Boss... I'll snag a bottle the next time I'm down at my distributor. I took a glance at a Corvette that I'm going to be working on this weekend (weather permitting) and it actually fits the bill to a 'T' as too much for #9 and too little for #83 (in my opinion). Maybe this is a product I should try in this instance.

I was going to go the MPPC (and then #83 if it didn't work) route but, maybe I can 'KO' it in one fail swoop.

Thanks bud.

RP

Old 07-20-2004, 08:53 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by BostonCowboy
..<snip>..Can I put #9, #80 on with a black Lake Country pad or should I be using a white? I also have an orange LC, but I did not want to get too aggressive??
I guess it depends on what you are going after.
The general guidelines:
Orange = Medium cut polish for heavier scratches / oxidation
White = General Polishing use with a light cut polish
Black = Wax only, no cutting action for layering wax.

I have used my orange power pad with :
- P21S Paint cleaner on my ZX-9R to remove oxidation. I followed this up with P21S on a white pad.
- #81 to remove a park by feel kiss left on my mom's silver bumper. Followed up with #81 on white pad, and then the synthetic wax dad uses ( same thing as Liquid Glass ).
- #81 to remove BlackFire Synthetic from my SCrew when going back to #26 ( had to use Pre Paint prep also that was some tough stuff to remove ).
- #81 to buff out 2000 grit sand marks from removing a run in the clear coat on my cap ( it was hidden under the Century tag that I took off ).

The heaviest polish I have is Hi-Temp's Power Light Cut Leveler, and I only use that for something very serious with the orange pad, and have not had anything serious enough to put the wool bonnet on the Makita Dual mode yet. Rotary function with the orange pad has done just fine ( removing scratches in Corian tops in my downstairs bathroom )

Once you get the hang of the polish / pad combos you have you might try something like #81 with the orange pad, rather then something like a heavier cut with the white pad. I find the heavier cut pad with a light cut polish goes a long way.
Even with a DA only like the PC, the Orange pad is a multi use pad for removing defects, do you don't have to bite off on a rotary polisher, if you have not already.

I don't use #9, so I cannot comment on where that falls when compared to #81, I'll leave that one to RP to answer.
I also have not tried #80 or #83 yet, so I can't comment there either.

Hope this helps out, post back if I made it worse

Old 07-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Boss_429
You might want to "toy" with the #80 some more.
Toying with it may begin as soon as tomorrow as I purchased a bottle today from my distributor. I also snared a tin of #16 (I really need to see what all the buzz is about).

RP

Old 07-23-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Toying with it may begin as soon as tomorrow as I purchased a bottle today from my distributor. I also snared a tin of #16 (I really need to see what all the buzz is about).

RP
Have fun, and let us know your thoughts on both products.

I think you will like the "look" of the #16, but you might not care for the removal process. #16 can be a bit finicky to remove if applied to heavy, or applied on a warm/hot surface, or when the humidity is high........... Etc. However, if you keep the coats extremely thin, and work on a cool surface, it's not too bad. We used to use some of it many years ago........... also a lot of #19 (cleaner/wax).

Have fun.

Quick Reply: Cleaner / Polish ??