Mr. Clean Magic Eraser + 04 F150 Door handles = F$%#!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dzervit,

That's too bad. At least you talked to a good body shop and got some honest feedback. Hopefully someone will come out with some paintable aftermarket handle assemblies & side mirrors. The thing that tipped me over the edge in choosing a black truck was the mirrors/handles. They don't look bad with most of the colors, but they are big and I think would look a lot better color keyed to match the rest of the trucks.

Those billet prices are CRAZY!

Direct replacements sounds like the most practical option at this point.

Do you know how to remove the handle assemblies? I was wondering how difficult that is.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by JohnAndDar
Do you know how to remove the handle assemblies? I was wondering how difficult that is.
Have no idea, but I guess I'm gonna find out! Pretty sure I'll have to attack it from the inside out, so I might take the opportunity to fix a rear door rattle & add some extra sound proofing. Too bad JL Audio is draggin' their **** on the Stealthbox Sub, I could do my stereo all at the same time!

I gotta say, I wish I could find some metal buckets on the cheap! Anyone, anyone... Bueller?

Old 09-15-2004, 07:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
GOOD GRIEF... those are a bit harsh on the ole' walleto.

Couldn't the plastic be sanded down to smooth and then painted? I understand that texture is a hassle to a body shop and prevents adhesion and durability but, I know of OODLES of guys that have painted their tailgate handles and have had no problems (on late models).

RP

Old 09-16-2004, 03:48 AM
Ouch!! That's a little steep for door handles. Don't plastic parts get painted all the time? My Lunar Visor is plastic and we had it painted so far its holding up fine. It might look off with the texture on the handles, then again it may give it a whole different character. How much would they charge? Would it be worth it to try? Let us know what you end up doing and post pics when you get it done.

Old 09-16-2004, 06:54 AM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sanding plastic prior to painting or lookign in the junkyard for replacements are my recommendations.

Old 09-16-2004, 01:51 PM
rockpick is right, they are not that hard to paint. just get the right paint for the plastic along with the pre-cleaner or prep solution and it will work just find. the only reason the body shop doesn't want to do is because of the time involved. i've done all my black trim on different cars over the years myself. it always turned out looking good, just as long as you follow the instructions. just ask a professional body supply shop, they should be able to set you up with what you need. it will be a bit time consuming masking it all off but it is not impossible, that is unless you want to take it all apart, i know i wouldn't. it would surely be a heck of a lot cheaper then buying new or aftermarket billet ones.

good luck

i just looked at your first post and i noticed you have the keyless entry. that would be a pain to paint but.. i know i'd try that before i would throw my hard earn cash at new ones.

Last edited by sgauthier; 09-16-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 PM
I feel your pain there dzervitz, i did the same thing to my last vehicle when it was new.. For future reference if you go back to the stock black look when you replace, a very good remedy for getting wax off the black plastic parts is Armorall wipes..

Old 09-16-2004, 08:55 PM
D... Have you given any thought to getting covers for them? Check this out http://www.f150store.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=43603&WebCatalogID= 27&PlateTypeID=1

Not bad for a quick fix for about $80.00, they also show AMI billet handles and buckets, I just couldnt figure out if they had the keypad ones. Might be worth a phone call.

For whatever reason the lionk I posted isnt working for me. If it doesnt work, just go to the moss motors page www.f150store.com and check them out.

Last edited by BREWDUDE; 09-16-2004 at 09:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:13 PM
Yeah, saw those as well... think they'll look OK? I know painting isn't gonna be cheap to do either. The billet buckets & handles are a friggen fortune.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:05 AM
I think I would try what RP suggested, take em off, prep and paint them yourself. The worst case scenario is you dont like them and have to get replacements...which you plan on doing anyway.
I am sure if you prep them right they will come out looking good.

Old 09-17-2004, 09:10 AM
Alrighty then guys... let's say I feel gung-ho enough to tackle this myself. I yank the handles & buckets, and disassemble them and prepare them.

I like the idea of sanding them down smooth... but what grit do I use to sand plastic smooth?! Think I can use some form of power tool to speed up the sanding process, then maybe finish by hand with a fine-grit paper?

Body work scares me...

Old 09-17-2004, 10:08 AM
it's plastic, first i wouldn't use a power tool. i'd do it by hand.i would hit it with 400-600. if you want you can even use water with it to make sure you get a nice smooth look. shouldn't take much . you can always hit it again with 800-1000 just to make sure. then use the prep cleaner and paint

Last edited by sgauthier; 09-17-2004 at 10:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2004, 10:23 AM
Alrighty... I assume I'd need to prime to right?! THey gotta make some kinda primer that is meant for polymers...

Old 09-17-2004, 10:29 AM
i don't think you will need primer ( that is unless you are painting them the truck colour). someone else will correct me if i'm wrong i'm sure. all i did with my trim that i had done in the past was sand, prep and paint. but i was repainting them the trim black same as the factory. personally i would consult a professional body supply shop. they will tell you exactly what you need to do and purchase. that's what i did and i had good results. just my 2 cents

Old 09-17-2004, 10:48 AM
Yup... time to hit the paint supply place. I want to color-match them if I'm gonna go through all this trouble. Maybe stop at the body shop again to show them my issues and discuss...

Thanks for everything folks, I'll keep you posted!

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser + 04 F150 Door handles = F$%#!!!