Mr. Clean Magic Eraser + 04 F150 Door handles = F$%#!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 09:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, just as an update - my paint has shipped and right now UPS says it won't show until the 19th. Last time they said that it got delivered 3-4 days early, so I'm kinda hopeful for Friday.

We have rain forecasted through Saturday, so hopefuly Sunday I'll be able to get something done! Due to the rain, I put the buckets on last night since my 'tape of shame' wasn't holding up to the weather, and I do NOT want water in my doors and frying my electronics. I'll have to remove them again, clean 'em up and put the final coat on.

A one-weekend project turned into two weeks... *sigh*

Old 10-13-2004, 02:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by dzervit
A one-weekend project turned into two weeks... *sigh*
Gotta love that. Best of luck dz... I'm following this thread closely as I consider the handles/mirrors to be an item that I'd paint almost immediately if I were to buy a new body style F-150. I'm very glad that you're blazing this ground.

Keep us posted...

RP

Old 10-13-2004, 02:13 PM
RP,
Any idea what happened to the original 1st post of this thread?

John

Old 10-13-2004, 02:26 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by JohnAndDar
RP,
Any idea what happened to the original 1st post of this thread?

John
Yeah, I inadvertently murdered it. I'm sorry. I may be able to bring it back to life but, I'm almost afraid to try because I might kill the entire thread.

Old 10-13-2004, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Yeah, I inadvertently murdered it. I'm sorry. I may be able to bring it back to life but, I'm almost afraid to try because I might kill the entire thread.
Thanks RockPick. Stuff happens...no big deal.

~John

Last edited by JohnAndDar; 10-13-2004 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by JohnAndDar
Thanks RockPick. Stuff happens...no big deal.

~John
I'm pretty useless around here...

I was in the process of removing that guy's post that made direct reference to selling an item on our site which directly violates our vendor rules and I snubbed it without paying attention.

Again, my bad...

RP

Old 10-13-2004, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
I was in the process of removing that guy's post that made direct reference to selling an item on our site which directly violates our vendor rules and I snubbed it without paying attention.
I knew that would get nabbed! I'll never get my free products now..

Old 10-16-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by dzervit
FordTruckMan82 - I think that would only mask the issue. I use Forumula 303 after a wash and it has the same effect... until it gets wet and rinses most of the product off. D'oh! The plastic is screwed.

TonyPTX - Your my hero. Thanks for the tips, I think I'm going to give painting a whirl. My only concern now is sanding down the little dimples. Worst case I destroy a handle and have to order a new one. Tailgates are cheap at $20 a pop!

Since you mentioned it, I would like to rig a electronic lock for my Undercover hard shell cover. Those two seperate locks are driving me insane!
I know it's been a while but I just wanted to let you know that it hasn't faded at all since I put it on there. My girl has been washed a couple times since then no less all the rain we've had and it sits in the sun outside of Home Depot all day and it still looks factory new.

Mothers Back to Black rules

- Chris

Old 10-19-2004, 11:11 AM
D since the handle's are shot try some PRE-KLEENO. It's a wax and grease remover prior to painting. I would use very little amount's on a rag and back with a lite tooth brush rub. This product will pull oil's out of you hand's so wear rubber glove's . I did it to a older car i had and i did get the wax out of the fine grain. I will try it on the 150 when it get's it's first wax prior to winter here which is soon.

Old 10-22-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey D.... what is the status on your remaining door handles???? I have been following this closely as I am considering color matching my tailgate handle and possibly the side mirrors on my truck.

Tiny

Old 10-23-2004, 01:50 AM
Originally posted by tiny1
Hey D.... what is the status on your remaining door handles???? I have been following this closely as I am considering color matching my tailgate handle and possibly the side mirrors on my truck.

Tiny
Dude...what cave have you just come out of? Been there done that and it works just fine. This ain't no science experiment. Check out the link in one of my previous posts for all the info you'll need. Now get out there and shoot some paint!!!

Tony

Old 10-23-2004, 06:34 PM
Ok, got the passenger side done last night! However, rain started and what a crappy day for pix. Just got the doors reassembled before the rain came. I'll get some pics soon.

I have mixed feelings about the results. I think a nice brushed AL handle would look better. I dunno. It's growing on me.

Old 11-17-2004, 06:35 PM
D...

Where are we at with this thread and the pictures?

T

Old 11-18-2004, 09:11 AM
F! I knew this would come back... passenger side is done, and time has not been nice to me. Still have to complete the drivers side. I'm pretty happy with the results, though I did make some mistakes. The weather has totally sucked around here, its dark by the time I get home, and weekends are rainy. Sunday is our next good day. Hopefully, I'll get 'er washed and snap some pics this weekend...

I also got some Dynamat Xtreme to slap in. Pretty easy & eliminates little noises from the door. Think I'll be pretty sweet with the whole cabin done.

More to come!

Old 11-21-2004, 10:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, now that you've experimented on the handles, what product are you using to clean the rest of the plastic on your truck (bed rail caps, lower bumper spolier, etc)?

Quick Reply: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser + 04 F150 Door handles = F$%#!!!