Clay Bar usage

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay Bar usage

I have never used the clay bar system before. I have read many posts here stating that after washing the truck to use a clay bar. How is this used? Is there any risk of damaging the paint further if not used properly? Any tips specifically for the F150 bodies?

Thanks guys

Old 10-29-2004, 12:24 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The risk is scratching the paint. Do not drop the clay bar! Some people like to cut it up into smaller pieces so if/whel they drop it, you have more to use.

Use is simple and straight-forward. Lubricate the surface, rub the clay bar on the paint with light pressure, rinse. Most clay bars come with a spray bottle of lubrication. I personally use a fresh car wash solution and a clean wash mitt to lubricate.

The quickest procedure I find is to wash the vehcile, don't bother drying. Then clean out the bucket/mitt and make another car wash shampoo solution. Wipe on a body panel, then rub the clay bar on the paint. Follow up with a rinse and dry.

The clay bar should slide easily, not grab or streak. If streaking, you need more lubrication. As you use the clay, you'll know when the area you are working on is "done' when the clay bar slides smoothly. Your fingers will tell you when that area is done. Everyone learns that quickly, so don't worry.

Old 10-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Check out http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=14

This is a pretty good article on how to use clay.

Old 10-29-2004, 02:16 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
APT's suggestion is dead on. Clay is a very effective, very easy way to remove surficial, stuck-on contamination from your paint. While it is extremely easy to do, it can pose a risk to your paint if not done correctly.

APT mentions making sure that the clay doesn't hit the ground and that it's lubricated and, generally speaking, these are the only two ways that one could devistate the paint. You'd be amazed at what ONE tiny grain of sand can do when positioned correctly gliding across your paint and thus, if you drop a clay bar on the ground, it's trash. No questions asked. This is why I love to chop my bars into thirds or halves. It's painful to throw-away a $10 clay bar but, it's much more painful to have to shell out the bucks for a new paint job.

It's a very easy process and, providing that you pay attention to what you're doing, it's easily performed at your house versus paying a detailer.

RP

Old 10-29-2004, 08:42 PM
Yep.............. RP, and APT have given you some great advise, and yomann has pointed you to a excellent article on claying.

I would emphasize the sentence in the article that says "knead the clay frequently to a reform the clay so that a fresh portion of the bar contacts paint". This is very important! As RP, and APT pointed out, dirt in the clay bar can cause scratches. You don't necessary have to drop it on the ground to cause problems. While you are claying, you can pick up some pretty "nasty" stuff in the bar that can mar the paint surface. Check the clay frequently, and knead as required. If you can't knead it to a clean portion............. get a new piece of clay.

If you use the correct amount of lubricant, and use clean clay......... you'll be pleased with the final results.

Happy detailing!

Old 11-03-2004, 12:24 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I'll definitely give it a go!

Old 11-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Re: Clay Bar usage

Originally posted by Dad's Hoss
I have read many posts here stating that after washing the truck to use a clay bar.
You should only have to clay about once or twice a year, BTW...

Trending Topics

Old 11-04-2004, 10:23 AM
Thanks Mike, I'll keep that in mind.

Old 11-14-2004, 11:48 AM
Are these clay bars something I can pick up at the local auto parts chain store,or will I need to go to a specialty shop?

Old 11-14-2004, 12:13 PM
APT
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have seen Clay Magic, Meguiars, and Mothers at various local auto parts stores.

Old 11-14-2004, 12:16 PM
Moderator &

They're pretty readily available. I've seen a Mother's Kit at Wal-Mart and I believe that Target sells the Meguiar's Quik Clay kit.

Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc... also should have one or two to choose from.

RP

Old 11-14-2004, 03:12 PM
Where can I find clay bars sold seperatly and not with the kit.
I already have the Meguiars spray and just want to buy 2 or 3 clay bars. I've been to Autozone, Pep Boys and that other autoparts store and all they sell are kits.

Old 11-14-2004, 04:13 PM
Finding the clay bars separately can be difficult. If you have an automotive "paint" store around that carries Meguiar's professional products, they sometimes have the individual bars, or can get them for you.

Use this link to see if you have a dealer near you (search for professional products)

http://www.meguiars.com/DealerLocato...r_template.cfm

Last edited by Boss_429; 11-14-2004 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-14-2004, 06:08 PM
Moderator &

Like Boss mentioned, a good P&B (paint and body) supply house should have something along these lines in stock.

You can also access meguiars.com to order direct.

RP

Old 11-14-2004, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Like Boss mentioned, a good P&B (paint and body) supply house should have something along these lines in stock.

You can also access meguiars.com to order direct.

RP
If anybody would know it'll be RP. He just got through detailing his new King Ranch.

Quick Reply: Clay Bar usage