What is it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is it?

OK, I have washed the truck numerous times and waxed with NXT on three different occasions. But upon close inspection there seems to be a film over the paint, it shows up less after a wax but is still there. You can only see it when you are up-close with the sun or light hitting it. The best way to describe it, because I can't get it to show up on the digital, is it looks almost like translucent water-spots it appears to be on the windshield and windows as well. What do you guys think that this is? I have never done the clay bar system, do you think that this will get rid of it? Thanks JMW

Added note I do completely dry with MF Towel so i am almost positive this is something other than water

Last edited by jmw00; 11-19-2004 at 09:40 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 07:59 AM
jmw00,

I'm not sure what that would be, but I have occasionally had spots from 'contaminants' of some sort that are still visible after washing. Using clay has always taken care of them.

Done properly, it can't hurt for you to clay your truck and will likely resolve the problem. RockPick and others have posted some great detailed directions for using clay in the past...
You need to be extra careful using the clay on your black paint, because any fine scratches will show up in the paint. The cardinal rule with clay is if you drop it anywhere, you're done with that piece. Listen carefully as you clay...as soon as you hear the sound of a particle in the clay rubbing on the paint, it's time to fold/turn the clay.

Once you go through the steps to clay...you may also want to consider polishing before waxing, in order to achieve a really nice looking finish....

Old 11-20-2004, 08:38 AM
Could be any number of things............... hard to tell without seeing it in person. The waterspots you are seeing could be just that............... waterspots.

Anyhow, I would start from scratch..................

Wash the car with a strong car wash.

Clay the vehicle if you want.

Get a good paint cleaner, and/or polish, and prep the paint well. If you want a pretty good one step product that's easy to come by, you could pick up some Meguiar's ColorX. Let the ColorX dry/cure overnight.

Apply and remove a coat of NXT as directed. Make sure you are applying a thin, even coat, and letting it dry properly. Also make sure that you are not applying in weather that is extremely "damp"! Most waxes, especially synthetic waxes, are "finicky" when "moisture" is involved.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-20-2004, 12:11 PM
Thanks guys, I will study up on the claying threads and give it a go. I am assuming that you can clay the windows as well. I'll report back with some details because it has to be some kind of contaminate, I have seen it on some of my other cars (mainly windows) and never new how to get rid of it..

Old 11-20-2004, 03:10 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Clay can be used on any flat, non-porus, non-textured surface.

G'luck!

RP

Old 11-20-2004, 09:57 PM
hmmm you might think of just a polish/cleaner and start over with your nxt?