Window gasket care

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Window gasket care

I have 30,000 miles on my truck now and started thinking about my rubber window gaskets. On my last trucks, they always turned gray and seemed to dry out. Is there anything I can do to prevent them from drying out before they start. Thanks guys.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:22 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd recommend regular treatments with Meguiar's #40.

Old 11-21-2004, 08:31 PM
Thanks RP!

Old 11-21-2004, 08:34 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by bigsherm77
Thanks RP!
Sure bud. No problem.

Personally, I wouldn't think that you'd have to treat them all that often but, to keep them conditioned and 'black', I'd recommend every third wash or so... at least that's how I would approach it I think...

If you have a sunroof, don't forget that seal... I hate seeing that seal grey and fugly.

RP

Old 11-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by RockPick
I'd recommend regular treatments with Meguiar's #40.
RP-
Would this be good on the various plastic pieces on our trucks also? Will it remove that nasty white wax oversplash? I've read through a couple threads here including the Mr. Clean thread, I won't be getting that stuff.
Can I get this Meguiers stuff at the local parts store? Is it similar to more common products such as 'Back to Black'? After seeing what Armor-All does over time, I've been hesitant to buy anything. So therefore my trucks are starting to look ratty. But at least I'm not putting Armor-All on them!

Old 11-21-2004, 08:52 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
RP-
Would this be good on the various plastic pieces on our trucks also? Will it remove that nasty white wax oversplash? I've read through a couple threads here including the Mr. Clean thread, I won't be getting that stuff.
Can I get this Meguiers stuff at the local parts store? Is it similar to more common products such as 'Back to Black'? After seeing what Armor-All does over time, I've been hesitant to buy anything. So therefore my trucks are starting to look ratty. But at least I'm not putting Armor-All on them!
Yes. #40 can be used everywhere but, I can't guarantee that it won't run. Personally, I've had great luck with applying it with an applicator and allowing it to dry. After a while, I'll come back across it with a MF towel to remove any excess. I can't recall having any problems with running on my old 01.

Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser worked WONDERS for me but, I was utilizing it on the hard rubberized moldings. I never tried it on coated plastics (like the ones on the tailgate and bed rails). I know some had problems with the material on those pieces but, on the flip side, I know many who didn't. Like anything, use at your own risk.

#40 may be on the shelf at your locatl store but, I don't see it very often. It may be one of those 'order it online' products.

Back to Black -- Made by Mother's. I've tried it... once. I threw it away. Hated it with a passion. Similarly, I hated Meguiar's Trim Detailer. They're just difficult products to work with. It's hard to screw up a good dressing like #40... spray it on an applicator and be careful not to smear it all over your paint. If you do, spray on some QD and carefully remove it. No problems.

Armor All is actually quite different from when our parents used it. In my honest opinion, it's not all that bad of a product anymore. Everyone talks about the 'silicones' in the product well, newsflash, nearly every product that you're utilizing out in the garage contains silicones; including waxes, polishes, and dressings to just name a few.

Hope that helps and clarifies a bit.

RP

Old 11-21-2004, 09:12 PM
Actually you've just managed to confuse me further. I can't seem to get two recommendations for any product. Every time I ask about plastic care, I get a new answer. I don't want complicated, expensive products, I just want something to spray on the plastic and rub/wipe it up and keep it looking halfway decent without destroying it in 5 years. It sucks that we have all this plastic on top of waxed, painted surfaces. If you wax the paint, you screw up the plastic. If you clean the plastic, you eat off the wax. Can I just get something simple???

Oh- on the window trim piece from the original post on this thread- When my rubber window sill pieces started disintegrating on my '94 Ranger, I just bought new ones. Snapped out the old and snapped in the new, good to go for another 7 years!

Last edited by RockyJSquirrel; 11-21-2004 at 09:14 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 11-21-2004, 09:42 PM
Moderator &

The 'snap on, snap off' policy is still, generally, good. I can't think of a single exterior plastic piece that can't be replaced (although, some may be more difficult than others).

With your situation in mind, I'd stick with a product like Vinylex (available at Pep Boys and many other auto parts stores) or Meguiar's #40 (maybe a bit tougher to come by). Both offer UVA and UVB protection and should last a while. Just make sure you don't 'slop' it on as you will experience running after precipitation.

RP

Old 11-21-2004, 09:46 PM
Thanks, RP. Maybe one day I'll understand these products a little better and not be afraid to use them.

Old 11-21-2004, 09:52 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Thanks, RP. Maybe one day I'll understand these products a little better and not be afraid to use them.
Nothing to be afraid of with the products at hand in this thread (minus the Mr. Clean ME and B2B). Even if you goof with them, nothing is going to be permanent...

Let us know if you have any other questions.

RP

Old 12-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Rubber seals around windows, lights, door handles and mirrors should be cleaned at least twice a year using a brush and soapy water. However, these "exposed" rubber seals should be treated more frequently than door and hood seals, as they get heavy UV radiation from the sun.

I recommend treating window seals with rubber and vinyl protectant once a month. Apply the protectant prior to cleaning your windows. Use a generous amount, and allow it to penetrate before buffing dry. When working in tight areas, use a cotton or foam swab to apply the dressing. Use a quick detailing spray to clean off excess protectant from painted surfaces. Here is an article I recommend that read, that will help you.

Old 12-01-2004, 09:45 PM
Wipe 'em down and then after they are dry wipe on some Formula 303 protectant. Best thing I've seen for restoring & protecting stuff like this.

Just figured I'd toss that into the mix!

Quick Reply: Window gasket care