interior and window cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2004, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
interior and window cleaning

has anyone ever heard of using spic and spam on the plastic interior, and using newspaper with windex on the windows??
my uncle (car guy) told me too, i was just wondering if it would be safe.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:26 AM
Just my opinion, but I would never use a household cleaner on my truck. They are much too harsh and I would be afraid of the damage they may cause. (Isn't Spic and Span terribly abrasive?)There are plenty of automotive cleaners available that are much better suited to the job. Windex and newspaper are OK, but Stoners Glass Cleaner and a microfiber towel will do a better job with a lot less effort. There are plenty of threads here on all aspects of cleaning and polishing. Opinions will vary, but you'll get the idea on what works and what to avoid.

Later....Garry42

Old 11-28-2004, 08:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like garry, I'd be hesitant. There are too many great products on the market, including Stoner's (one of my favorite glass cleaners), that can do a great job on interiors and glass rather than risking it with a product that may, or may not, do the trick.

I like to stick with the philosophy of utilizing the least harsh product first and then to proceed from there. Spic & Span is pretty potent stuff unless its heavily diluted.

RP

Old 11-28-2004, 08:37 PM
Using newspaper with windex on the windows has been around a long time, but I still get streaks no matter what I use. I clean and clean and the sun comes in you see streaks on the glass,I've tried towels,paper towels and newspaper,changed glass cleaners and still have streaks on my glass. Even vingar and water mixed,it all cleans good but the streaks are still there. I'll check on the micro towels next.

Old 11-28-2004, 08:56 PM
I used newspaper w/ little luck on windows.. but a 'good' microfiber towel will negate streaks.. I use windex and a microfiber nightly now on all vehicles that have been driven that day..

I agree w/ others that I avoid any household cleaners on any vehicle.. I stick w/ automotive detailing / cleaning substances..

Wayne

Old 11-29-2004, 03:48 AM
I agree, don't use Spic and Span on your interior. It is pretty harsh and abrasive. I use Armor All cleaning wipes on my interior plastic. If you have dirt that won't come off with a simple cleaning wipe like that, I'd go with some of the other recommendations that have been made on this topic. See Here

I don't use newspaper for windows, it does work well but I don't like the ink all over my hands when I'm done. A microfiber towel and whatever cleaner you are using works fine. If you want streak free try this: Put about 1/4c. rubbing alcohol in an empty windex spray bottle and fill the rest with water.

Last edited by wild-mtn-rose; 11-30-2004 at 04:17 AM.
Old 11-29-2004, 10:49 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the trick with NP is to use vinegar, not windex.

When used together, this will clean windows as well as any chemical cleaners.

And environmentally friendly too.

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Another vote for the stoners glass cleaner. Although honestly I feel Windex & Newspaper is faster & easier. The Stoner product is easier to apply, but seems to take more work to get it off completely - MF towel and all. I hate how you can't control the windex 'mist' all over the dash. That bugs me. So, Stoner it is for me.

As for household cleaners, I'm one of few here that use some to get the heavy grime away from my vehicle interiors. My preference is a tiny dab of soft scrub on a damp towel. That stuff works wonders with minimal effort, and I've never discolored or ruined any interior trim. Like I said, use a TINY DAB. Most of the time a simple damp cloth does the trick. I only bust out the softscrub for nasty areas (armrests, platic thingy on the floor when you open the door, etc...)

One lesson I have learned on the 04s though, don't use ANYTHING on the black exterior trim!!! There is some kind of 'clear coat' on it that will scuff up/rub off with ANY form of abrasive cleaner! Your left with the fugliest trim you'll ever see... not pretty.

Long live the Soft Scrub!!!

Quick Reply: interior and window cleaning