plastic engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
plastic engine

What do yall recommend for cleaning all that plastic under the hood? thx

Old 01-10-2005, 05:16 PM
See my post about engine cleaning and there is a few other great posts too >>>CLICK HERE>>>>>Steam Cleaning

Old 01-17-2005, 01:59 AM
Banned
armor all did wonders for mine.... looks brand new just spray it on a nice clean rag, and wipe everything down. Make sure you use a really soaked rag though, i would honestly even consider taking the spray nozzle off and just pouring some on the rag... makes it shine better

Old 01-17-2005, 06:27 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do not - under any circumstances - recommend "steam cleaning" any late model engine bay. I can recant some personal war stories about the horrors I went through with my '02 and just plain gentle water after a spray on engine cleaner. There are just too many "things electronic" under the hood that you can (and will eventualy) mess up these days. Enen if you don't do any immediate harm, the long term damage will get you. Oh yea, and steam cleaning gets water into many more things than my Ultimate Hose Nozzle. (By the way, my dealer no longer allows their detail guys to blast engine bays for the same reasons. You will kiss some coil packs goodbye.

Want my recommendation? Use some Armor All and be happy.

Old 01-17-2005, 07:06 AM
How about that foam engine cleaner that you wash off with your water hose at home ? I like too keep it clean under the hood and always go to car wash to blast the motor off . But with all electronic things under there now,how do you keep it clean. The wind blows and you get alot of dirt on your stuff under hood,plus if you play out in the country in the mud. So how do you clean the dirt off with out messing any thing up

Old 01-17-2005, 08:09 AM
If you open you hood and aim a water hose at the engine, you are going to have problems. My truck had a miss when I first test drove it. The salesman later told me that they changed out all the plugs because the detail guys got water down in the plug holes. Then when the engine was run it boiled up under the coil packs and fried the plugs.
I hate not being able to wash off the motor. But my solution is to keep the frigging hood closed except for when I change the oil. Then I take a rag and wipe off a few areas and then shut the hood again. But those coil packs are $84 each and changing plugs is a 2-3 hour job with the right tools. I'm not willing to chance it.

Old 01-17-2005, 10:23 AM
Wildman NP,

The foaming engine cleaner was what got me into all of my trouble. (See my post "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished.") By the way, I didn't "aim" the hose at anything. I used my Ultimate Hose Nozzle on the "gentle rain" setting and didn't "blast" anything. I also immediately blew off the excess water with my leaf blower, started and ran the truck immediately, then drove if for about 3 miles to finish drying it. Two hours later, the problems began.

As much as I hate to say it, I now do almost all of my detailing now with the hood shut. Like Rocky said, changing plugs (due to water getting in there) is a pain in a bad place and coil packs are darn expensive.

By the way, there are many who will tell you to blast away because they have. I'd say they've just been lucky so far.

Trending Topics

Old 01-17-2005, 05:32 PM
Banned
Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
changing plugs is a 2-3 hour job with the right tools.

I can do em in 45 mins but i guess the C.O.P.s on some trucks would make it more difficult... i lucked out... coil packs for me

Old 01-17-2005, 06:04 PM
Black plastic = Lemon Fresh Pledge furniture polish. I even use it on my tires. It repels dust and is cheap.

Old 01-17-2005, 08:16 PM
Thats cool hadnt heard of that being used there before. Ill try it.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:08 PM
I second that, furniture polish works good. I learned that from an ATV dealer, that is what they used to shine up all the ATV's in their showroom.

Quick Reply: plastic engine