I need a quick wash product, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to get a quick wash product to help maintain my vehicles and I was wondering what products I should consider.

I plan on using them only when it is too cold out to wash comfortably(living in Georgia it's not that often I have to deal with extreme cold), after a rain storm, and for a quick touch up between my weekly washes.

I have read about the QEW and Poorboy's Spray and Wipe but really can't seem to decide on which would be better for my situation. The searches I have tried bring up way to much to go through. I tried but most of the results really didn't have anything to do with the pluses or minuses of sung the products.

Are there any other products that I should consider?

Thanks,

Old 01-13-2005, 01:18 PM
Russell -
Having lived just come home from Georgia on a two year project a few months ago, I know the rainstorms that are there. would recommend a QD (quick detail) product. Meguires has a great product, Eagle One has a semi-good one.... jsut find one that works the best for you. I dont think you'd need to do a complete wash for touchups..... The rain is fairly clean there. I'm in Arizona where the rain contains more dust than water, so quick details are out of the question usually .

As for when it's too cold, afternoon washes are good for that. If I remember right, Columbus doesn't get "too" cold. AZ gets cold, and sometimes i just suck it up and dress warm, and get to work. Hope this info helps.

Good luck

Old 01-13-2005, 01:22 PM
I have and use both products you mentioned and I recommend them both but I use them for different applications.

I only use the S&W for cleaning of light road dust (i.e. the car has been washed within a week or so). Any significant amount of crud and I won't use S&W (although others may differ). It is however very quick to do, leaves a nice finish, and does a perfectly adequate job is the car is just lightly dirty.

The QEW is able to clean more crud than the S&W. In the winter, I can QEW every 2-3 weeks and keep my truck clean. Some people even use S&W as a pre-spray to soak on the really dirty spots before using the QEW.

In a nutshell, depending on how filthy my truck is I would (in order of least cruddy to most cruddy)

S&W --> QEW --> Full wash

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 01-13-2005, 01:35 PM
Old 01-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is a toss-up...

While I've not used the QEW product, I've heard an ample amount of raves about it. It is on my list of products to try (which, currently, is about 5 pages long).

I have, however, used PB's S&W and have loved every spray. I buy it by the gallon now and have a bottle in my truck at all times for quick touch ups that I don't feel a good QD product can handle.

From what I've read, it seems like the QEW product is a bit more troublesome to use but, then again, I see the two as individual products for individual situations. Neither QEW or S&W, in my opinion, shouldn't be used on a heavily soiled finish. There's just stoo much of a risk to introduce scratching/swirling to your paint.

I use S&W for a 'heavier than dust' situation. In short, if it's a thick layer of dust, I'll use S&W... if it's a light dusting, I'll typically go with a QD product.

QEW seems similar but, you still have to mix out a solution and thus, it might be a bit more troublesome... you can, however, from what I understand, attack a dirtier painted finish with this product.

I've rambled long enough... It's kind of a toss up. For me, I love PB's S&W!

RP

Old 01-13-2005, 05:39 PM
let me put it this way. I started using Adam's POlishes (www.adamspolishes.com) - no relation to THIS adams, after my truck got out of the paint shop. I've used meguiars quick detail and one other brand too, but I won't use anything but Adam's. Hell, I just bought (yes, bought, it wasn't sponsored) a 5-gallon drum of the detail spray because I know I'm going to go through it no problem. I use it all the time. All of his stuff you can buy in larger quantities (5-gallon, 1-gallon, etc.) so you don't have to keep buying bottle after bottle which is good for osmeone so **** about cleaning as I am.

I'll be out in Georgia for hte Stone Mountain meet with FTW April 2nd, show up and I'll let you use some of my detail spray and see if you like it .

Old 01-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Wash your truck or just to help maintain through QD spray? makes a defences, like most QD's have ether a wax or a polymer that helps extends of life of the wax/sealer on it and to gloss it up. If you want to wash your truck thought QD I think it would be faster just to wash it with a mitt & hose. There is spray wax out there that is real fast to apply not as good as the thick stuff, also there is a car Washes with conditioners to extends the wax's life on your truck.
To clean your truck by QD use lots of MF towels or a bucket of water.

What I think what you want is a wax or a sealer that lasts a long time, right?

Trending Topics

Old 01-14-2005, 06:49 AM
Here's my process.....

On a clean or freshly washed paint surface........... any good QD.

On a lightly dusty surface............. 50/50 mix of S & W & a good QD.

On a lightly dirty surface............. S & W full strength.

On a moderately dirty surface......... QEW.

On a very dirty surface............. hand wash, or QEW if weather doesn't allow hand washing.

Old 01-14-2005, 09:09 AM
thanks everyone for your replys.
I am looking for a product to basically help me between my regular washes but is a little bit more aggresive then a QD product, I have plenty of that around but I don't feel it is up to par for the truck and car after a rainstorm.
I also want a product that is quick and easy to use, no water hose needed. I would mostly use it during the winter months when is gets dark before I get home. THat way I can use it in my garage, under lights. I have tried washing before in the dark but it never fails that I always miss a few places.
Anyways, I am going to go ahead and try the Poorboy's S&W and see how that works. IT sounds like is is the easiest to use.

Old 01-14-2005, 04:17 PM
Sweet... now all I have to do is figure out what the hell all the freakin' abbreviations mean...

Old 01-14-2005, 04:31 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by minus_13
Sweet... now all I have to do is figure out what the hell all the freakin' abbreviations mean...
LOL!

There are definately too many acronyms within this industry...

Here's a brief run down:

QEW - Quick and Easy Wash
S&W - Poorboy's Spray and Wipe
QD - Quick Detailer (any number of products from different manufacs)
MF - Microfiber (type of towel)

Did I get all of them within this thread?

-RP-

Quick Reply: I need a quick wash product, any suggestions?