A ‘MUST-TRY’ Product – Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A ‘MUST-TRY’ Product – Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer

Let me first start by saying that I'm, in no way, associated with Four Star Products. This is strictly my opinion.

Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer is a product made specifically for Gloss Enhancement (as the name of the product suggests). I recently received a free bottle as part of a promotion with an order that I placed from Premium Auto Care (AKA: PAC) and have been giving it a try.

First Impression:

The packaging is solid black and arrived with a spray head. The spray head, as usual, didn't meet my expectations (I'm not sure I've found many that have) as it allows 'spurts' to come out of the head rather than a fine mist. I hate droplets within the mist. None the less, don't let the bottle talk you out of this product. The bottle really isn’t that bad…

First Use:

Damn! This product brought a killer amount of 'POP' out of my black paint. My initial impression immediately after use was that I had, literally, just applied a coat of wax.

UGE is extremely easy to use as it is very similar to a Quick Detailer type of product. It can be used for smudge removal, very very light dust removal, and fingerprint removal. While I haven't tried it in the capacity of a clay lubricant; I've been told it does exceedingly well there too but, at $60 for a gallon, it hard to justify it as a clay lube IMO.

After spraying it on and wiping it off with a very soft waffle weave towel, I immediately noticed that the wet surface evaporated VERY quickly. Per the directions and like many other QD sprays, I misted it on, wiped it off, and then turned my MF towel and wiped it off again and, like I mentioned, the shine was KILLER.

Another way to characterize this product is that it looked like I had applied a very thin, very even coat of some sort of thin oil to the truck. It's difficult to describe but, the appearance is VERY wet and, in my opinion, looks better than the late Meguiar's Final Detail (my absolute favorite QD Spray)(discontinued).

The fragrance reminds me of sun tan lotion honestly. The smell falls short to me but, that's an individual opinion. I still love Final Detail's cherry smell...

--CONTINUED IN NEXT POST--

Old 02-03-2005, 09:41 PM
Moderator &

Price Line:

A bit on the high side in my opinion but, like any other product, I'm willing to pay a decent penny for stuff that I like. At $60 for the gallon, I'll cringe when typing in my CC number but, the end results WILL BE WORTH IT to me. (Note: it also comes in a 16 oz size for $13ish). I ordered the gallon today…

Where to Get It:

My hunch is that you're not going to find this locally and will probably have to order it on-line or via phone. Here are a few places that sell UGE and other Four Star Products.

premiumautocare.com

autogeek.net

detailersparadise.com

While I haven’t dealt with autogeek or DP, I know for a fact that PAC is a TOP NOTCH company that provides superior customer service and super fast shipping. There’s even an additional discount for members of detailcity.com (shh, don’t tell everyone!).

Summary:

Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer is a product designed to be used as a very light Quick Detailing spray or to simply be a product to enhance painted surfaces' appearance.

The look is very deep, wet, and glossy. To date, I've not experienced a product that 'pops' as loud as this product does after one use. The ease of application is simple as spraying on and wiping it off. I experienced absolutely NO streaks on paint nor on glass. The clarity that it seems to bring and enhance is also worth noting.

At $13 / 16 oz or $60 / Gallon, it's not the cheapest QD type of product ever made but, like most folks, I'll go out of my way to purchase a product that I know and love. A quick search of the net seemed to reveal that most all of the retailers were on nearly the exact same page from a price-point.

I have only tried this product on BLACK paint that was in very very good condition with only a couple of scuffs/light scratches (gotta love the stealership) and no swirls at all. I cannot attest to it's effectiveness on other colors but, if it does half as good on white as it does on black, it's worth the investment.

Overall, I'm blown away by this product with the key exception of price. This is a product that you must try to believe. Two HUGE thumbs up to the folks at Four Star for this one!

RP

Old 02-03-2005, 10:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RP,

The local detailer I have do my truck on rare occasions during the winter just showed me this 4 star detailer and used it on my truck at no extra charge after a wash.
I agree with you 100%, I thought it gave the paint a very bright very hi gloss layer that did really seem to pop out.
Granted it was on one of the few sunny days we have had lately and just keeping the salt of and see the paint is a chore this time of year, but when he pulled my truck out of his shop I was like that looks really damn good.
I asked what it was he used and he showed me the bottle, although he was using a different spray bottle.
I am going to be buying some of this product from him for around $14 a bottle. And as you said, a product that works this well is worth the $.
My truck was done a week ago and luckily the weather hasnt been to bad and only a light coat of road grime had build up. I went to the spray wash today, did a rinse spray and a spot free spray and the truck came clean really well and easy.
Oh, I too have a black truck.
I will definitely be making this part of my detailing onsombo..

Sled...

Old 02-04-2005, 01:34 AM
Give me some of your opinions

So Rockpick is this mainly for darker color paint or would it give me a POP to my wedgewood blue paint as well. I love that sleek wet look and it is hard to get and even harder to maintain on my paint color. Just wanted your opinion. Thanks buddy

Old 02-04-2005, 08:44 AM
GB, I would think it would work on any color. Just happens mine is black also.
I have used many different detail sprays and this one definately made an impression.
Since my detail guy did it I cant judge how easy it was applied, but it looked like it went on well with very little work.

I asked him where he gets it and he just said his distributor.

Glad to see RP post some links where it can be found. I may just be buying a gallon of this stuff myself.

Sled...

Last edited by sleddogg; 02-04-2005 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-04-2005, 11:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RockPick,

You just gotta stop coming up with these great detailing products for us northerners to try at this time of year. (Hell, it just got above freezing for the first time in ten days yesterday.) Sure, I'd love to enhance the gloss of my paint. I think I'd have to see it first!

Now, if you'd like to recommend some products for those of us in the salt belt, here's a few products I'm looking for:

- Salt & Slime Enhancer: This product should spray on and require no further work. It should remove all snow, salt, slime, etc. and leave a perfectly clean surface that stays that way for 7 days. Oh yea, and it should be capable of being applied at -10 degrees.

- Instant Snard Remover: Another spary on wonder that removes full size snards without the usual sheet metal and shoe damage caused by current methods.

- Salty Tire Shine: I need a tire cleaner / dressing that not only sprays on over the slime noted above, but doesn't attract road salt as part of the "wet look" and thus look like crap in 24 hours.

There, that just about does it for my rust belt detailing wish list. I'm sure some of my friends here will chime in with a few other requests. Please get to work on these ASAP.

Old 02-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Summary:

Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer is a product designed to be used as a very light Quick Detailing spray or to simply be a product to enhance painted surfaces' appearance.

So RockPick, the question I have regarding this product is how I would work it into my normal twice a year detailing regimen of Clay Bar/Enamel Reducer/Meguiar's #7/Meguiar's #26?

Would I use it religiously after my normal weekly wash, or do you think that would be too aggressive of a use of this product?

Also, does it only improve the physical appearance of the paint, or does it enhance the "feel" of the paint as well? I have been looking for the longest time for a product that leaves that slippery "just waxed" feeling on the surface of my vehicles, but really haven't found anything that does it as of yet.

I've been thinking about just adding an extra application of Meguiar's #26 in between my full six-month detailings, so maybe this product could replace this step?

Last edited by ddellwo; 02-04-2005 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:02 PM
Moderator &

Guys, I'll get to the questions this evening. I'm mega-slammed at work today.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:23 PM
It looks as though the company also make a lubricant designed for use with clay bars. Not sure of the difference, but at least it's a bit cheaper ($7.95/16 ounces). They also offer a "clay combo kit". Basically a fine grade clay bar along with the lubricant for $29.95

http://www.premiumautocare.com/fostulglen16.html

http://www.premiumautocare.com/fostulclcoki.html

Old 02-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by sleddogg
RP,

The local detailer I have do my truck on rare occasions during the winter just showed me this 4 star detailer and used it on my truck at no extra charge after a wash.
It's good to hear of another person who likes this stuff. I have a feeling that the more folks give it a try, the more we'll hear testamonials like this one. Thanks for sharing!

Originally posted by GBTEXAS
So Rockpick is this mainly for darker color paint or would it give me a POP to my wedgewood blue paint as well. I love that sleek wet look and it is hard to get and even harder to maintain on my paint color. Just wanted your opinion. Thanks buddy
Certainly not. I'm just stating that I've used it with great success on dark paint. But, then again, if I were to characterize Wedgewood Blue, I'd, personally, call it 'dark paint' too. I think you'd love it on that color with the flake in the paint.

Originally posted by 2stroked
RockPick,

You just gotta stop coming up with these great detailing products for us northerners to try at this time of year. (Hell, it just got above freezing for the first time in ten days yesterday.) Sure, I'd love to enhance the gloss of my paint. I think I'd have to see it first!
LOL! Sorry man. I wasn't really fishing for a new product but, since I happend to run into this one, I thought I'd share. I swear I think I have a detailing disease. I never buy a bottle of something I like, I buy a gallon or more. I really need to burn through some of my 1-gallon containers. (I currently have like 12 of various products from Meg's #80 to Final DetaGBTEXAS[/i]
So Rockpick is this mainly for darker color paint or would it give me a POP to my wedgewood blue paint as well. I love that sleek wet look and it is hard to get and even harder to maintain on my paint color. Just wanted your opinion. Thanks buddy[/quote]

Certainly not. I'm just stating that I've used it with great success on dark paint. But, then again, if I were to characterize Wedgewood Blue, I'd, personally, call it 'dark paint' too. I think you'd love it on that color with the flake in the paint.

Originally posted by 2stroked
RockPick,

LOL! Sorry man. I wasn't really fishing for a new product but, since I happend to run into this one, I thought I'd share. I swear I think I have a detailing disease. I never buy a bottle of something I like, I buy a gallon or more. I really need to burn through some of my 1-gallon containers. (I currently have like 12 of various products from Meg's #80 to Final Detail to Last Touch to Final Inspection to Poorboy's S&W to, now, 4-Star UGE...). Argh...

-- Continued in Next Post --

Old 02-04-2005, 04:44 PM
Moderator &

[quote]Originally posted by ddellwo
[b]So RockPick, the question I have regarding this product is how I would work it into my normal twice a year detailing regimen of Clay Bar/Enamel Reducer/Meguiar's #7/Meguiar's #26?[/i]

Enamel Reducer? Huh?

Basically you're going to use this on top of the #26 after washes or between washes when the vehicle is only VERY slightly dirty. It'll add 'pop'. Using it after your weekly wash is a PERFECT application for this product as your finish should be, generally, clean and crud-free.

As for a 'feel'. I can't really attest much to that. I did notice that the paint didn't seem to have much 'grab' to it so, in a sense, it might yield some 'slickness'.

This WILL NOT replace a LSP (last-step product) like #26. To my knowledge, it offers no surficial protection. It's purely asthetic. You may want to use a product like Quik Wax or similar to add surface durability between #26 applications. Further, if you have about a half-hour after a wash, you may consider just applying another coat of #26.

Hope that helps...

Originally posted by RayCee
It looks as though the company also make a lubricant designed for use with clay bars. Not sure of the difference, but at least it's a bit cheaper ($7.95/16 ounces). They also offer a "clay combo kit". Basically a fine grade clay bar along with the lubricant for $29.95
You're right. I don't think that their clay lube is the same thing as UGE based on other reviews that I've read on this product; hence, the price variance. I would not recommend using UGE as a clay lube unless you have a very heavy wallet.

RP
-----------------------------7d5b72c2401T application for this product as your finish should be, generally, clean and crud-free.

As for a 'feel'. I can't really attest much to that. I did notice that the paint didn't seem to have much 'grab' to it so, in a sense, it might yield some 'slickness'.

This WILL NOT replace a LSP (last-step product) like #26. To my knowledge, it offers no surficial protection. It's purely asthetic. You may want to use a product like Quik Wax or similar to add surface durability between #26 applications. Further, if you have about a half-hour after a wash, you may consider just applying another coat of #26.

Hope that helps...

Originally posted by RayCee
You're right. I don't think that their clay lube is the same thing as UGE based on other reviews that I've read on this product; hence, the price variance. I would not recommend using UGE as a clay lube unless you have a very heavy wallet.

RP

Old 02-04-2005, 04:46 PM
Moderator &

Good lord...

The server chewed that one up and spit it out. I'll try to clean that up tonight and make it legible.

Old 02-04-2005, 06:34 PM
I've heard some very good things about the Four Star product line as their UPP is said to be an excellent LSP. I've never tried it personally, but it might be my next choice as I have been using S100 and Poorboy's EX P. Poorboys is also coming out with an EX P+ sometime soon and that will also be in my to try list. To many good procducts out there. Nice write up on the Gloss Enhancer. Sounds like a winner.

Old 02-04-2005, 09:01 PM
RP,

As always............ excellent review! I would agree with your findings. UGE is an excllent product. It is one of my favorite QD's on a sealant finish, along with ClearKote's Quik Shine, and Wizards Mist & Shine. Those three products do not contain any waxes or silicones. I like to use those types of products on a sealant finish, as they tend to be "clearer", which seems to give sealants more "POP"! Poorboy is also coming out with a new Detail Spray called Spray & Gloss........... and it looks like it's going to be a winner........... I know I like it!

On a side note, I pretty certain that the UGE contains a tiny amount of the same polymers that are in UPP............. so you are actually adding some protection.......... and some slickness for sure.

Also, I've tried almost all of the 4* products, and most of them are "very good" indeed............ with a couple of them in the "superb" class.

Old 02-05-2005, 10:16 AM
Moderator &

Thanks folks! I'll get that last post cleaned up tonight hopefully.

Right now, it's off to detail the new Explorer... Goodness knows it needs it.

Quick Reply: A ‘MUST-TRY’ Product – Four Star Ultimate Gloss Enhancer