California Duster...

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 07:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
California Duster...

Just wondering what opinions people have on the California Dusters that I see in stores. I used one on my old car, and it worked pretty good. Use it once and a while on the truck. Anyone with any opinion on it let me know! Thanks!

Old 02-10-2005, 11:04 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have one and love it but, you have to be certain that you're using it for what it's intended...

In short, if the vehicle is too dirty, wash it, don't dust it.

Also, the duster seems to work better as time progresses and it's a bit dirtier. Initially, you may notice some streaking on the vehicle (especially hot vehicles).

I love mine and use it often. Hopefully, you'll have the same experiences...

RP

Old 02-10-2005, 11:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with RocPick, but might add one more caution. A friend of mine bought one of those bad boys for his new Linclon LS and loved it. I then observed him using it to "dust" his alloy wheels. What he was actually doing was removing brake dust and then wiping it all over the car. Very bad! That stuff's corrosive and abrasive at the same time. Be careful how (and where) you use it. Oh yea, and it wipes out your duster too. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2005, 12:16 PM
I've had one for about 2 years. Love it. Use it about once a week.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
I have one and love it but, you have to be certain that you're using it for what it's intended...

Also, the duster seems to work better as time progresses and it's a bit dirtier. Initially, you may notice some streaking on the vehicle (especially hot vehicles).

RP
DITTO

I've had mine for about 5 years and it's getting really dirty looking but works better than ever! When new it does leave waxy streaks that tend to collect dust, most noticeable with darker paint colors. But I love it and think it's a great addition to anyone's cleaning arsenal!

Old 02-11-2005, 06:11 AM
I will only add more caution............. anything that touches your paint, can cause scratches. Especially a tool that has "dirt" in it all the time, and is not using any type of lubricant in the process.

I've checked very, very closely what a Cali Duster, and the Cali Water Blade do to a paint surface with my jewlers loupe under ideal lighting conditions. As a result of my findings, I don't use those two items on my paint.

When my vehicle is "dusty", I use Spray & Wipe, and the highest quality MF towels to remove the dust. Sure, it takes more time to do it that way, then just grabing the duster, but I save a lot of time and work by NOT having to polish out spider web marks.

Just my 2 cents.

Old 02-12-2005, 10:44 AM
valley818 ?

I recently bought my vehicle from Blackwell-Baldwin Ford in Jonesboro and I was wanting to know your input on the them. I noticed where you said to avoid them. I live in Southeast Missouri.

Old 05-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick

RP
RP,
So your truck is black right? Mine is also and i love the result i get when i use the duster 1-2 days after a wash. i've used it only a dozen times or so then stopped b/c i was noticing extremly fine and only visible super close up scratches that appear they could be in the same "direction" as the duster is used. OR are those the standard "you have a black truck moron" and those get there just by existing. you know?
i ask you b/c i picture you looking at your paint as close up as i do now after the NXT wax i used last weekend. Great stuff btw.

Old 05-25-2005, 11:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Could be either honestly...

I think the straight line scratches that I've introduced and had to remove on my truck were put there when Quick Detailing...

I'll often do it first thing before rolling out the door on the way to work in the morning and, 9 times out of 10, I'm running late. I'm sure I've snagged grit/grime from near a well or something and, ultimately, have introduced some problems...

I still feel it's one of those products that, if used correctly, can be beneficial. Then again though, it is a black truck... stare at black long enough and you'll scratch it; you don't even have to touch it.

RP

Old 05-26-2005, 08:51 AM
The duster works great, especially for pollen. Just be careful not to drag a foreign object with the duster or water blade. While using a water blade, I caught a small pine needle, and put a nice scratch across my hood, which I now live with.

Old 05-26-2005, 04:44 PM
Same here. I've had mine since I bought the truck in '98 and it still works great.
Of course my truck is red so if it is leaving ultra-fine scratches can't tell.
I only use it when there's a coat of wax still on the paint and I shake it out after ever use.

Old 05-26-2005, 04:48 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
it is a black truck... stare at black long enough and you'll scratch it; you don't even have to touch it.

RP
AMEN!

Old 05-29-2005, 01:14 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I like mine so much, i decided to give it some company. I bought the smaller one for keeping the interior dust free as well. They both work awesome.
Later Trev

Quick Reply: California Duster...