The King Ranch is Swirl-less Again! (56K Warning!)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:51 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The King Ranch is Swirl-less Again! (56K Warning!)

After buying my KR back in late 04', I really hadn't given it a real good detail to address the dealership introduced swirls (which were very minor) nor the ARE LSII Lid swirls that were numerous.

To clean up the lid, I started with Meguiar's #83 Dual-Action Cleaner Polish on a polishing pad with a dual-action polisher (PC) set at 4. I managed to address the biggest majority of the problems in the clear but, in doing so, introduced some very slight micro-marring (I took pictures but they simply didn't come out so, they're not here).

I followed the #83 with #80 Speed Glaze on a polishing pad with the PC set at 4 again. This addressed all of the micro-marring that I brought with the #83.

I also did the hood with #80 as it had some very minor swirling that was introduced by the lot clean-up guys at the stealership and probably a few by me...

After completing the surface preparation part, I went to Meguiar's #16 Professional Paste Wax. Unfortunately, this product is discontinued but, I still have a new tin at my disposal. This stuff is WONDERFUL and offers a very dark, deep luster that is very typical of a good carnauba wax. I love the look that this wax provided on my black paint. Mind you, I was topping NXT on many of the panels as a quick coat of NXT was applied just a few weekends ago. All in all, I cannot tell a difference in the #16 only panels (hood, lid, roof, two quarter-panels) and the panels that are NXT with #16 as a topper (all doors and A-pillar) but, maybe someone's eye could catch the differences...

I opted to exclude claying the vehicle as my bonded contamination was very minimal to nearly non-existant based on the feel and appearance of the paint under a hand lens (gotta love us geologists and hand lenses HA!).

Here are a few pictures...

Watch Out for That Explorer Behind Me!

Stairway to Heaven...urr... my House

The Ugly Guy Featuring Orange Peel!

--Continued in Next Post--

Old 02-12-2005, 11:55 PM
Moderator &

See the Bronco II in the background?

It's going to be a 'project vehicle' this summer hopefully...

Front End...

Tires Dressed... Wells Dressed.... Wheels Waxed

--Continued--

Old 02-12-2005, 11:58 PM
Moderator &

Wheels...NXT Paste Wax Was Used Here...

The Finished Product...

This detail took me around 9.5 hours today... mainly because of the swirls on the ARE lid. They prooved to be a beast and a half to remove properly.

I also did a full conditioning treatment on the leather and all of the glass on the vehicle. Further, I detailed the interior, detailed the door jambs, vaccumed, and applied protectant to all the seals around the doors, moon roof, and ARE lid.

--RP--

Old 02-13-2005, 03:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beautiful as usual RP How much would it cost me to have you come up here and detail my truck like that?? It is in desperate need of some TLC. I took it to the car wash the other day and got rid of a couple of layers, especially on the underside, but it needs a good all-over. It's been snowing again today, probably have 2-3 more inches out there...NOOOOO...At this rate it'll be April or May before I can really wash it let alone wax and all the other goodies.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:24 AM
Hey RP,
Very pretty. Are you using a 7424 on your beast?

SL

Old 02-13-2005, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by wild-mtn-rose
Question: How much Healthy Choice ice cream can one eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?
I think it's safe to say that when you can balance the container on your gut, it's time to redefine "Healthy".

SL

Old 02-13-2005, 04:56 AM
looks good Rockpick....I gotta do that once the snow goes too.

Nice Neibourhood.

Old 02-13-2005, 08:10 AM
RP,

It looks superb! Great attention to detail!

Old 02-13-2005, 10:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job. Looks slick as a babys behind.

Old 02-13-2005, 11:53 AM
Hey RP .....looks great. I too just detailed and gave the ride a new layer of NXT to get me through the rest of the winter here.

I have a couple of questions.... Do you use hand apply/remove all your products or do you use a mechanical means (buffer) ?

If you use a "buffer" what brand/model do you recomend. My time has become very limited and would like to make this process a little faster if possible as I have always "waxed ON" "Waxed OFF" by hand in the past 20 years of detailing.

Have you heard of or tried any of the "Wizards" products I have generally always used meguirs products with much satisfaction but am always looking for something better if that is possible.

Old 02-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Moderator &

Thanks for all the replies guys (and WMR -- )... I really appreciate it.

WMR -- get me up to Alaska and I'll do it for free. In fact, I may be in Ketch sometime this summer. We'll see how that works out. We have a job site there and there's quite a bit of work to be done.

Snappy -- Yes. I am utilizing a 7424 for product application. I also have a Makita 9227 that isn't used very often. I started to get it out on the lid but, I was a bit leary to really experiment on fiberglass. I feel that I can work the tool with no problem but, I just don't have much experience with it on f-glass. I'd hate to learn the hard way...

UN -- Both hand and machine. It all kind of depends on my mood and/or product that I'm working with.

Primarily, I utilize a Porter Cable 7424 Dual-Action Polisher (commonly called a 'PC' or 'DA'). This method is incredibly user safe and really cuts down on the 'arm work' that is required to work some of these polishes (like #80 or #83) by hand.

Removal is along the same lines. Most of the time, all of the removal will be done by hand but, I'm certainly not above smacking on a DF Towel Bonnet or Ultimate Bonnet on a cutting pad and removing some coatings. In fact, most of the truck was mechanically removed with a DF Towel Bonnet and my PC on 4.5 speed.

I haven't tried WIZARDS products. I have, however, tried several other products out there and there are A LOT of great ones. In fact, I've only found a very small handful of products that I just flat-out didn't like. I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about them if you give them a whirl.

Thanks again forlks! I appreciate it!

RP

Old 02-13-2005, 05:31 PM
All right...STOP IT! I can't look at pics of your truck like that anymore RP. Everytime I do all I see is what my truck should look like. Sometime in the next several days I will be attempting a detail of mine and if I can get mine looking half as good as yours I will be giggling a school girl. Great job!

Old 02-14-2005, 03:17 AM
Originally posted by snappylips
I think it's safe to say that when you can balance the container on your gut, it's time to redefine "Healthy".

SL
Hahaha...If I could balance the container on my gut I think I'd have to shoot myself!!

Originally posted by RockPick
Thanks for all the replies guys (and WMR -- )... I really appreciate it.

WMR -- get me up to Alaska and I'll do it for free. In fact, I may be in Ketch sometime this summer. We'll see how that works out. We have a job site there and there's quite a bit of work to be done....
Awesome!! Ketch is right around the corner from Juneau (in Alaska distance, that is!!), I'll make sure there are cold ones in the fridge. I just hope the snow's gone by then!!

Old 02-14-2005, 04:20 AM
Originally posted by bigsherm77
If I can get mine looking half as good as yours I will be giggling a school girl.
Who do you think your fooling Sherm? I've gone through your gallery. Your ride is a beaut. May not be after this mornings rain/sleet/snow/crap, but at least you didn't wash yours 15 minutes before it started like I did (I hope). Me so STUPID!!

SL

Old 02-14-2005, 01:51 PM
Great job Rock. It just shows you practice what you preach and the results speak for itself. You definitely have a good handle on keeping a truck looking better than new.

Quick Reply: The King Ranch is Swirl-less Again! (56K Warning!)