Spring Truck Detail Questions (Attn. RockPick)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2005, 08:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spring Truck Detail Questions (Attn. RockPick)

RockPick,

Just wanted to start by giving you a big thumbs up, on the job that you did on both the explorer and the king ranch. I have a few questions for you.

I am going to be doing a full detail on mine and my brothers truck this spring. I am looking for your input, as I have gained a lot of knowledge just by reading your posts.

Ok, here goes. My truck is in about the same condition as the 2004 Explorer you have, with minor swirling on most of the body panels, from repeated washing and drying, so this should give you a good baseline as to where I am starting from. Since This is what I have come up with for this spring detailing.

I am going to start out with a wash using the Meguires Gold Class Car Wash, and then dry with my Microfibre drying towel.

From there, I am going to use a Mother's Clay Bar kit that I have to remove surface contaminants, cause I know they are there!

I feel #83 is too abrasive for me to use, I would rather stay away from it. I don't feel my paint is in worse enough condition to go this far. After the clay, since I do not want to get TOO abrasive on the paint, I am unsure of whether to use Meguires #80, or use the #9 Swirl Remover. I would rather mostly remove the swirls than cover them up. This is where I am looking for the most input, as to how I should go about this step.

From here, I was planning on moving to the #3 Machine Glaze, as it seems as this will be a very good base to any wax to be used, and from there I will move on to NXT Tech Wax. I was also contemplating the idea of topping the NXT with #26 Hi-Tech wax. I then plan on doing all the vinyl trim with my 303 Protectant, and then also wax my wheels with probably NXT tech wax, and also Meguires Hot Shine Tire Spray for the tires.

Basically, does this sound like it should yeild good results? Am I missing anything, or are there one or two steps that I might be able to leave out (i.e #3 Machine Glaze). I have some experience with the Porter Cable, so I feel comfortable using it. Please give me your input! Again, great job on the Explorer and King Ranch!

Last edited by roboots21; 02-14-2005 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-14-2005, 12:26 PM
Are you using a machine or by hand?

Old 02-14-2005, 12:44 PM
Porter Cable 7424 I believe the number is, it's the same machine that RockPick uses frequently.

Old 02-14-2005, 01:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey roboots...

Thanks for the questions...

I think you've got a great plan of attack.

Your question on #9 versus #80 is a very good one. In my experiences with both products, I've found #80 to be a voodoo potion on getting rid of light swirls (see Explorer pictures). So, between the two, I'd go with the #80. Both are great products and are generally very very very similar (did I mention very?) but, from a personal perspective, I've had better luck with #80.

The only drawback to #80 is that it's available by the gallon or 32 oz. Also, it may be a bit more difficult to come by as you'll pretty much have to find a P&B shop or order it online.

As for the #3, I've only worked with it once and it was for a VERY short period of time. Based on what I've read about it, be sure that you apply it in VERY thin, VERY even coats. I hear that it's a great product but can be a beast if it's applied too thick (like many of the other low # products).

I like NXT alot. I like NXT topped with #26 even more. I don't think that you can go wrong here in my opinon. Be sure to allow proper cure time between coats.

Best of luck and be sure to take some before and after shots!

RP

Old 02-14-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks for the Reply RockPick. I guess the only questions that remain now are:

Do I need to allow any time between any of the other steps besides the wax for curing (I'm assuming no because there is no cure time for the non-wax products), and also what is an appropriate cure time between the waxes?

The other thing is that after I use the #80 or the #9 to rid the finish of swirls, should I even bother with an application of the #3? Will I see any added benefit to this, or should I go straight from #80 to NXT?

Also, finally, what pads do you use on the PC for each of the steps? I was looking at pads online, and from what I gather there looking at the foam pads, there is a high cut, low cut, polishing, and finishing pads. Which one did you use on what step? I am assuming light cut with #80, and then polishing with NXT, finishing with #26.

Thanks for you help, and I will be sure to take pics, both of mine and my brothers truck, as we are doing his also. See if we can fit it all into one day. Thanks again!

Also, last things: best products for polishing stainless steel magnaflow exhaust tips; best product for factory FX4 wheels; and any suggestions for nerf bar scratches (powdercoat). Thanks.

Last edited by roboots21; 02-14-2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:06 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by roboots21
Do I need to allow any time between any of the other steps besides the wax for curing (I'm assuming no because there is no cure time for the non-wax products), and also what is an appropriate cure time between the waxes?

Allow 12-24 hours for NXT. This number will vary based on humidity, temp, and other atmospheric conditions. Err on the high side.

Carnauba products don't really have a 'cure' time like synthetics. In fact, I've applied as many as three coats of #26 in one sitting. Naturally, you need to allow them to haze but, it's teh film build that you're looking for in this instance.

The other thing is that after I use the #80 or the #9 to rid the finish of swirls, should I even bother with an application of the #3? Will I see any added benefit to this, or should I go straight from #80 to NXT?

The #3 may or may not help out. What color is your vehicle? If anything, it may aid in a very slight amount of swirl hiding if there are any remaining. You're right though, it may be a long shot on helping or not...

Here's a suggestion... do half of your hood with the #3 before proceeding to the rest of the truck. If you see a difference and think that it's worthwhile, go for it. If not, back off and save your time/product/energy.

Also, finally, what pads do you use on the PC for each of the steps? I was looking at pads online, and from what I gather there looking at the foam pads, there is a high cut, low cut, polishing, and finishing pads. Which one did you use on what step? I am assuming light cut with #80, and then polishing with NXT, finishing with #26.

Polishing pad for #80 or #9. PC set to 4.
Finishing pad for NXT and/or #26. PC set on 3.

Here's a VERY handy chart that was posted at meguiarsonline.com for knowing which pad at which setting with which product...

Also, last things: best products for polishing stainless steel magnaflow exhaust tips; best product for factory FX4 wheels; and any suggestions for nerf bar scratches (powdercoat). Thanks.

Stainless... I'm probably not the best advice on polishing metal but, I've seen miracles performed with NXT All Metal Polysh, Flitz, Eagle One.

Wheels, treat them like paint. They're clearcoated. NXT and #26 if you wish.

Powdercoated items -- treat it like paint as well.

RP

Old 02-14-2005, 03:13 PM
Thanks a ton for your help. I really appreciate it. By the way, my truck is True Blue, FWIW.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:17 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by roboots21
Thanks a ton for your help. I really appreciate it. By the way, my truck is True Blue, FWIW.
Being that it's a dark color, I may consider doing the #3... Give it a whirl. Let me know what you think of it head to head...

Definitely go with the #26 as a topper... I think you'll really like it on your color....

So... recapping...

Wash
Clay
#80 or #9
#3 (half of hood and assess)
NXT (X 2 if possible)
#26 (X 2 if possible)

RP

Old 02-20-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Being that it's a dark color, I may consider doing the #3... Give it a whirl. Let me know what you think of it head to head...

Definitely go with the #26 as a topper... I think you'll really like it on your color....

So... recapping...

Wash
Clay
#80 or #9
#3 (half of hood and assess)
NXT (X 2 if possible)
#26 (X 2 if possible)

RP
Would you consider the same method for Bright Red?

I have the same issues as you two....swirls......

Old 02-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by papawoodie
Would you consider the same method for Bright Red?

I have the same issues as you two....swirls......
Personally, yes. I'd go with the same procedure.

Old 02-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Best place to purchase this stuff online? Or, if going to a store (pep boys, autozone etc....) will they know what you are talking about if you ask for these McGuire's numbers?

(i have certainly seen alot of idiots working parts store....

Old 02-20-2005, 11:31 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by papawoodie
Best place to purchase this stuff online? Or, if going to a store (pep boys, autozone etc....) will they know what you are talking about if you ask for these McGuire's numbers?

(i have certainly seen alot of idiots working parts store....
I'm a betting man when it comes to the guys at the parts shops knowing what you're talking about.... my money is that they won't have a clue. I could be wrong but, I think it's a safe bet.

You will find some of these products at your local parts shop (Pep Boys, Autozone, and maybe a few others). Your best bet will be if your town has a Paint and Body Shop supply house. Many of these shops carry full lines of products like 3M and Meguiar's (among others).

If you strike out there, check with www.premiumautocare.com . Several of us here do regular business with them and have been treated to top notch service, good prices, and ultra-fast shipping. Personally, unless I'm in a bind with a detail coming up the next day and I'm out of a product, I order almost all of my stuff from PAC... and I have a distributor here in Louisville that carries nearly the entire Meg's line of M and D-line products (professional and detailer). That's how good PAC really is...

RP

Old 02-21-2005, 05:50 AM
One thing to remember, Dwayne at PremiumAutoCare is taking over ownership of it. He just had a big sale to cut down on his inventory before he moves to another location. He will be replenishing his inventory on the 1st of March, he is out of stock on a lot of different items. He does give excellent service,

Old 02-21-2005, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by AhsGrad1973
One thing to remember, Dwayne at PremiumAutoCare is taking over ownership of it. He just had a big sale to cut down on his inventory before he moves to another location. He will be replenishing his inventory on the 1st of March, he is out of stock on a lot of different items. He does give excellent service,
Thanks for the heads up.

Hopeing to get some shine on the truck and git 'er ready to sell.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:30 PM
roboots21,

I too also have the True Blue. I have used both NXT alone and #26 as a topper. Another option is MPPP? I used it this year in Nov to get me thru the winter and I am really impressed. Meg's just discontinued it but you may find it at an auto body supply shop.

Quick Reply: Spring Truck Detail Questions (Attn. RockPick)