Cleaning your DA pads

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cleaning your DA pads

I've searched and read info on meguiarsonline.com and on this website as to how to clean your pads. Meguiar's suggest pressing the pad into a clean cloth, letting them dry and then possibly brushing them off. On this site, I've read about Snappy wash and RP has even mentioned using a very small amount of Murphy's.

My question is has anyone used regular laundry detergent? Powder or liquid (Tide w/o softeners)? Now I know some of you are thinking the powdered detergent might not fully dissolve and possibly end up scratching something. But what would the results be in you used warm/hot water and made sure it was completely dissolved? Laundry detergent is also a "low-foam" (saponification!) product that I think would actually work pretty well. Heck, it's probably the same thing as Snappy whatever...

I'm thinking about preparing a solution of hot/warm clean water with detergent and soaking the pads in this for 10-15 min. Then using my hand to gently scrub out any remaining product. Rinsing them again in clean water and then air drying. If nobody has any input on this, I will try it this weekend on a pad or two and let you know the outcome.

-slippy

Old 02-23-2005, 10:15 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm interested in hearing how this turns out snappy.

I've used several methods including brushes, spurrs (on wool) and also Murphy's Oil Soap.

To this end, I've found nothing that works in a spectacular fashion but, to date, I tend to lean more towards Murphy's.

I'd still be hesitant on the granular powder detergent though. It just seems to me that any impurity that may be in that powder that may not dissolve (even in hot water) may cause a major hassle in the long run on your paint.

Couple the possibility of a non-dissolving particle with a very highly porus foam and I think you have the makings for a disaster...

Just my opinion...

RP

Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
I'm interested in hearing how this turns out snappy.

RP
You mean slippy?

With all this snappy and slippy, I can see it getting pretty confusing...lol

I think I'll try the liquid...although the SNAPPY product is granular...hmmm

Can anyone comment on how well the SNAPPY pad cleaning stuff dissolves?

-SLIPPY

Old 02-23-2005, 11:06 PM
Moderator &

Argh... sorry about that...

I'm in the middle of working on a report for work and trying to break away to check out the boards on occasion and I can't stay focused on either.

This condition is medically termed 'motivation deficit disorder' or 'MDD' for short.

I have a bad case of MDD but this report isn't going to write itself... argh...

Let us know how it turns out guy with username that starts with an 'S' and has two of the letter 'p' in his username.

RP

Old 02-24-2005, 02:37 AM
When I was a painter, we used to clean buffing pads when times were lean.

The foam pads, we would soak in a bucket with soapy water (liquid soap), rinse, then air dry. While buffing, we would use a stiff bristle brush (plastic) to clean the pad. An air blower was also effective. My personal favorite was the Vacula style air blower.

The wool pads, we would also clean like above. It seemed to work pretty well. While buffing, the air blower seemed to work better than a spur for cleaning while buffing.

Trust me...times got pretty lean, so we became very proficient at extending the life of buffer pads.

When times were good, the pads worked real nice on personal stuff.

Regards,
Kevin

Old 02-24-2005, 04:55 PM
If you are looking for a cleaning method with low foam, how about putting them in the dish washer.(no Jet dry and remove before the heat dry cycle). Works on hats......

Old 02-24-2005, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by RockPick

This condition is medically termed 'motivation deficit disorder' or 'MDD' for short.

I have a bad case of MDD but this report isn't going to write itself... argh...

RP [/B]

Is that anything like CRS ,which is a disease that is getting worse for me every year.

What were we talking about???

Old 02-25-2005, 10:36 AM
I throw the Meguiars pads in the washing machine with liquid Arm&Hammer washing detergent. The stuff with no dyes. I then put them in the dryer on low heat to dry. They come out real clean and never had any issues.

Ron

Old 02-25-2005, 02:45 PM
I too you use the washing machine with Liquid Tide or Woolite. I place my pads in a mesh laundry bag. I also dry them in the dryer, still in bag, on medium low heat. No problems to date and I have been using my pads for almost a year now.

Thanks,

Gary

Old 02-25-2005, 08:36 PM
After I'm done using my pads, I spray some APC on them (diluted 4 to 1) and let them set for a few minutes. Then I put them in warm water and push down on them to squeeze out the "stuff". Next, I put them in another pan with very warm water and DAWN, and let them soak for a while........... then I squeeze the rest of the "stuff" out (yes I wear rubber gloves). Lastly, I rinse them with warm water thoroughly, stand them up, an let them air dry.

The come out "perfect"!

Last edited by Boss_429; 02-26-2005 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:02 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by PALongbow
I throw the Meguiars pads in the washing machine with liquid Arm&Hammer washing detergent. The stuff with no dyes. I then put them in the dryer on low heat to dry. They come out real clean and never had any issues.

Ron
Russell, PA:

You all are talking about PADS for a MACHINE correct? Porter Cable Dual-Action Polisher?

I've seen folks toss them in the washer only to recover them in two and three pieces NUMEROUS times.

?

Old 02-26-2005, 10:56 AM
Rockpick,

Nope. I'm talking about the pads used for hand waxing a vehicle.

I read the orginal post and assumed we were taking about pads for hand waxing a vehicle. Maybe I misunderstood. Anyway if you want to wash pads that are used for hand waxing then just drop them in the washer with liquid detergent and dry on low heat. Works great. I don't know if this method would work for the machine made pads or not.

Ron

Old 02-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Moderator &

Ahh... gotcha.

I made the assumption that we were talking about pads for the DA/PC/Rotary.

I, too, toss my hand foam pads in the washer. Works great for me...

RP

Old 02-26-2005, 09:20 PM
Just a follow-up guys...

I added a small amount of Tide with a very small amount of OxyClean to a bucket of hot water (2 gal).

I mixed the water and solution for about 4-5 minutes with my hand until I couldn't feel anymore granules of detergent.

I soaked them for about 25 minutes. I then worked the pads in the solution with my hand for a couple of minutes, then rinsed thoroughly under running water. Pushed them into a clean terry cloth to remove as much moisture as I could and then placed them sitting on their side on a towel on top of the refridgerator.

They look as good as when I received them.

They have been sitting for about 2 hrs and are completely dry.

Old 02-28-2005, 09:06 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally posted by slippysmit
<snip>.....Pushed them into a clean terry cloth to remove as much moisture as I could and then placed them sitting on their side on a towel on top of the refridgerator.

They look as good as when I received them.

They have been sitting for about 2 hrs and are completely dry.
Next time you clean them, run them on the buffer for about 30 seconds.

I put my pads back on after cleaning them, stick the buffer in the garbage can ( big blue one with the lid ) and flip the switch on. After doing this, it only takes about 20 min to be able to use them again.

BTW : The snappy cleaning powder semms like Pine-Sol when it is mixed. Never tried regular Pine-Sol in hot water, but that might also work as an option.

Quick Reply: Cleaning your DA pads