Cleaning Eagle One Tire Swipes

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:41 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Cleaning Eagle One Tire Swipes

Like many of you, I'm always looking for a way to stretch a dollar and get the most out of my detailing equipment.

For me, I've found that the Eagle One Tire Swipes are just about the BEST way to apply a gel tire dressing like Endurance High Gloss (which is still my personal favorite). The only problem is that I'm going through these things like they're not going to make them any more. I literally use about 4 per month...

I know that they don't cost much but I'm still interested in hearing if you all are able to wash out your dressing or if you have a unique way to clean these little boogers.

Personally, I've found that Endurance is a BEAR to remove from the applicators and almost turns to a 'tar like' substance when it's exposed to chemicals like Murphy's Oil Soap, Tide, or dishwashing detergent.

This is one of the very few places that I'm willing skimp (tire applicators) when it comes to detailing and thus, I'm looking for suggestions....

(BTW, as an aside, if you haven't tried these things, pick up a pack the next time you're at WalMart or your favorite store.... they're WONDERFUL for evenly spreading dressings to achieve an even look and to reduce sling).

RP

Old 03-17-2005, 10:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I keep thinking about picking up some of those tire wipes. Usually I just use a Meguiars Applicator Pad and toss it in the washing machine with the rest of my rags and it comes out just fine. The only thing that is a pain in the rear end is make sure that you get the Endurance in and around all the lettering. Once you get it in the grooves though it's all down hill.

- Chris

Old 03-17-2005, 10:44 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by FordTruckMan82
I keep thinking about picking up some of those tire wipes. Usually I just use a Meguiars Applicator Pad and toss it in the washing machine with the rest of my rags and it comes out just fine. The only thing that is a pain in the rear end is make sure that you get the Endurance in and around all the lettering. Once you get it in the grooves though it's all down hill.

- Chris
Yeah... I've gone this route as well but, I just find that I like the swipes better. They really make it easy to get in and around the lettering...

Swipes turn into pieces in the clothes washer... been there, done that.

I'm in the process of experimenting with Hyper Dressing so, who knows, maybe the 'spray on' type of dressing will impress me. Thus far, none have because of overspray (hence black shows EVERYTHING).

RP

Old 03-17-2005, 11:40 PM
I've used the swipes before. They do the job a little quicker in my opinion. They also make it easier to get the tire shine in close around the inner edge of the rim without getting any on your rims.

Old 03-18-2005, 07:27 AM
I've considered trying the new NXT Tire Shine, I've heared really good reviews. I'm just not really all that certain about a spray on, like you I've never found one I liked all that much. They always seem to find a way to streak and not go on smooth and evenly.

- Chris

Old 03-18-2005, 08:22 AM
I've soaked my tire swipes in a bucket of very hot water and dawn. When the water gets cold, I do it again. Usually in the time it takes for my towels to wash and dry, the swipes are clean.

82, I'm going to give the Meg's Insane Shine a try myself. I typically use Meg's #40 and wipe off the excess. Let me know how you like it.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:03 PM
I've been using the Hot Shine but, it tends to be a little messy. I've been thinging about going to the swipes. The Hot Shine seems to make the white raised letters a little black. Anyone else think this ?

Old 03-18-2005, 09:35 PM
Moderator &

Don't get me wrong... I love a good spray dressing like Hot Shine (it's in my stash) but, with a black vehicle, it's difficult to use such a beast because of some of the airbornes that occur when you're spraying it on. Eventually, that very little spot that went airborne and landed on the paint becomes a blotch and requires a QD to remove.

Personally, I like to avoid making work and thus, I've always enjoyed the gel products (minus a couple)...

Maybe I just need to get better sprayers or a better spraying technique...

RP

Old 03-18-2005, 10:34 PM
Oh come on, make work for yourself? Your just giving yourself another wonderful opprotunity to use yet another wonderful product by Meguiars.

- Chris

Old 03-18-2005, 11:41 PM
Nah...not RockPick. He wouldn't even dare try a such a thing.

Old 03-19-2005, 08:44 AM
Moderator &

Oh come on, make work for yourself? Your just giving yourself another wonderful opprotunity to use yet another wonderful product by Meguiars.

- Chris
It just boils down to my philosophy of using a product that I know, is easy to use, and exceeds my expectations over and over...

Old 03-19-2005, 10:58 PM
I love those things too..I find the part you hold seperates from the foam if you wash them also..Have to find another applicator ..Hmmmm

Old 03-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Hey I picked some up, all I can say is they work GREAT. They are a ton easier to use them using an applicator pad, glad I picked them up.

- Chris

Old 03-20-2005, 11:57 AM
Moderator &

Hey I picked some up, all I can say is they work GREAT. They are a ton easier to use them using an applicator pad, glad I picked them up.

- Chris
I agree 110%!

I love them... I still just need a way to preserve them.

I find that they get pretty dirty after a couple of uses (about 8 tires) and, ultimately, start to spread dirt/dust across the whitewalls thus making them look pretty bad.

Oh well...

RP

Old 03-20-2005, 02:07 PM
At least they don't cost to much.

Quick Reply: Cleaning Eagle One Tire Swipes