Yea I did it!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great Job Red! Looks good!

I'm suprised RP hasn't responded about those great looking wheel wells.

Hey RP! I know those pics have to make ya happy!

Old 03-26-2005, 01:44 AM
I know you shouldn't wax your car TOO much.. not sure why.

Old 03-26-2005, 02:06 AM
You can never have too much wax!

Old 03-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by slippysmit
Great Job Red! Looks good!

I'm suprised RP hasn't responded about those great looking wheel wells.

Hey RP! I know those pics have to make ya happy!
You just beat me too it...

As I've gone on record as saying several times in the recent past, wheel wells are a HUGE pet peeve of mine. Great job on those 04 Red! Killer job.

It just goes to show that some hard work and a quality product will yield killer results. Top notch work buddy!

As for overwaxing...

It's more along the lines of diminishing returns. In short, you can only get so much wax or sealant to sit on top of the paint before you're wiping just as much off as you've applied. As I can recall several of the older pro's saying, 3 or 4 coats, as a rule of thumb, is just about as much as you'll get to sit on the vehicle. So, with that in mind, I try to err on the high side; I have 5 on mine right now.

Plus, if you're utilizing something that is abrasive or chemically agressive (a cleaner wax like Color-X for example), you're simply applying a layer and then removing it by applying another layer over the top.

For an instance like this, it's a good idea to use the color-x first (which is, by the way, an abrasive cleaner wax with ESP) and then apply something that has no abrasives at all like #26 or #16 or #20/#21. By doing this, you won't remove what you've already put down...

RP

Old 03-27-2005, 08:20 AM
Look great RED. Now ya just need to paint those rear wells black.

RockPik: With all those coats of wax, how much longer can you go between waxings v. one coat?

Old 03-27-2005, 01:00 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by jimmy k
Look great RED. Now ya just need to paint those rear wells black.

RockPik: With all those coats of wax, how much longer can you go between waxings v. one coat?
There are too many environmental conditions to mention that will influence the longevity of any wax or sealant. I, like many, don't ever let the protection get to the point that I 'must' apply another coat to ensure protection. For that case, I am probably guilty of wasting product sometimes because I apply it too often.

Also, I'd always recommend putting TWO coats of any wax or last step product on your paint. This will, in turn, ensure uniform coverage (for the most part) and ensure that the entirety of your vehicle is protected. The second coat will not only enhance the first but also potentially cover the areas that you may have accidentally missed on your first pass.

RP

Old 03-27-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
There are too many environmental conditions to mention that will influence the longevity of any wax or sealant. I, like many, don't ever let the protection get to the point that I 'must' apply another coat to ensure protection. For that case, I am probably guilty of wasting product sometimes because I apply it too often.

Also, I'd always recommend putting TWO coats of any wax or last step product on your paint. This will, in turn, ensure uniform coverage (for the most part) and ensure that the entirety of your vehicle is protected. The second coat will not only enhance the first but also potentially cover the areas that you may have accidentally missed on your first pass.

RP
Well put!

I agree with the "overwaxing" part too. I don't think it will "hurt" anything, but after a certain point, you are just doing it for "fun"!

With some of the waxes in "the ole days", you could apply to many coats and get a very "smeary" affect. Not so much of an issue anymore. Still, it didn't hurt anything........ it was just a waste of time.

Old 03-27-2005, 01:29 PM
So basically, the main reason is to ensure total coverage?That's kinda what I thought. BTW, I've been using NXT and have been getting great shine even on my silver FX4. I only have been applying one coat, but about every 2 months.
Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Yea I did it!