For Rock Pick

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2005, 08:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For Rock Pick

I have a 2004 F-150 in Arizona Beige. Over the years I have found that white, silver and gold paint is difficult to get a true shine.

I want to spend about 4 hours each month waxing my truck. What wax do you suggest?

Thanks

Kenny

Old 03-26-2005, 11:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Kenny,

You're seeing something that many folks see with some of the colors that you've mentioned.

I'm going to have to defer this question over to someone who has worked on Arizona Beige more than I have. While I have AZ Beige accents, I have never detailed a solid AZ Beige vehicle.

My hunch is that Meguiar's NXT topped with #26 will yield some great results but, like I said, I've never really tried it on a solid beige.

Boss? Intel? Others?

-RP-

Old 03-26-2005, 11:47 PM
Yep, I like the synthetics on light colors like Arizona beige. 4* UPP is excellent on that color. NXT would also be a good choice, as would Poorboy's EX-P+, Wolfgang sealant, Menzerna FMJ, Zaino and several others.

To be honest, I would spend 3 of the 4 hours (or more) the first month cleaning (paint cleaner), claying, polishing with a good swirl remover, and final polishing............ then I would worry about the wax!

After that, it will only take an hour or two a month to add another coat of protection. After 4 or 5 months, do the full prep again, and any wax (synthetic or natural) will look great!

Of course, if your paint is in great shape already........ your good to go! Pick any of the above!

Old 03-27-2005, 08:58 AM
Boss and Rock Pick

Thanks for the advice

Boss - Which products would be best for paint cleaning, swirl removing - etc. ?

Ken

Old 03-27-2005, 09:34 AM
Ken,

The products would depend on what condition your paint is in, and where you want to get the products, and whether you are doing this by hand, or have a PC orbital buffer (or other). If you want to pick up the products locally, you are usually limited to selection, but not necessarily quality.

Locally (using by hand)........

Clay:

Meguair's Quik Clay
Mothers Clay Kit

Paint cleaner:

Meguiar's Deep Crystal Paint Cleaner
Mothers' Pre Wax cleaner

Very light scratches - Moderate swirls

Meguiar's ScratchX
Mothers' new Power Polish

Light swirls - very light swirls:

Meguiar's #80 (Speed Glaze or #9 (Swirl Mark Remover)
Mothers' Swirl Remover

If you want to order online, there are more good suggestions. If you have a PC, you can handle slightly more severe paint conditions.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-27-2005, 10:28 AM
Boss

Truck is 5 months old and paint is still like new. Paint has been washed about 10 times with a mitt and Blue Coral Car Wash. Has been polished once with NU-FINISH and once with GOLD CLASS.

As far as I can see there are now swirls or scratches.

I live in western Virginia and we do get acid rain from the power plants in Ohio (that is what we are told). After washing the paint feels smooth to the touch.

Kenny

Old 03-27-2005, 11:32 AM
Ken,

The NuFinish and Gold Class you used are waxes of sort and don't contain much cleaning/polishing abilities. (a little - maybe)

Anyhow, if you are comfortable that the finish is in good shape and you want to get a nice wax/sealant to protect it, then NXT or the new Mothers FX Synwax will work great.

However, I do believe that a good paint cleaning/claying and polishing will "enhance" the final appearance no matter what wax/sealant you use.

As a matter of fact, for your specific case, I might recommend Meguiar's ColorX which is an all-in-one product and then top it with NXT or Synwax. The ColorX will clean, polish and add a little protection. The NXT or Synwax will add even more protection.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:44 AM
Rock Pick and Boss

Thanks much for the info. Sorry I didn't get right back to you but we have the Grandchildren (which we have not seen for 8 nonths) this weekend. My wife's brother also showed up from Florica and left his two . Took them all for a 2 hour ride in the woods in the 150. Sure glad the SuperCab seats 6 with room to spare. All but 30 minutes was on dirt and mud in the woods. Never a minute of trouble except for the numerous stops to let someone check behind a tree(if you get my drift). It has been raining here in Va. all week-end and is pouring now so cleaning the truck is out of the question.

One more question. I have a cheap auto buffer/polisher but it is not orbital. Should I replace it with an orbital buffer?. Also, do you use the buffer to apply wax, remove wax or both. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks for all your help

Kenny

Old 03-28-2005, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by CruisinKen

One more question. I have a cheap auto buffer/polisher but it is not orbital. Should I replace it with an orbital buffer?. Also, do you use the buffer to apply wax, remove wax or both. Any tips are appreciated.

Thanks for all your help

Kenny
Ken,

You are welcome! On the buffer........ I'm sure that both RP and I will agree on this one too. The cheap buffers really don't "cut" it (literally). As a matter of fact, with most of the bonnets they make for them, I think they do more harm than good.

Having said that, if you want to get even "remotely" serious about paint care, than a PC is a must at a minimum. Now, that's not to say that you can't do some great work by hand.......... because you can. However, the PC will allow you to do even better work and make "all" of the work much easier.

Old 03-28-2005, 08:34 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
I'm sure that both RP and I will agree on this one too.
I can't recall reading anything that you've posted that I disagreed with Chippy.

RP

Old 03-29-2005, 12:45 PM
PC - - Is that Porter Cable ?

Thanks to both for all your help

Kenny

Old 03-29-2005, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by CruisinKen
PC - - Is that Porter Cable ?

Kenny
Yep!

Old 03-31-2005, 02:49 AM
The $100 + price tag on the PC seems a little steep. Anywhere I can get one cheap?

I will try eBay.

Old 03-31-2005, 05:42 AM
Originally posted by bryanfeelsgood
The $100 + price tag on the PC seems a little steep. Anywhere I can get one cheap?

I will try eBay.
$100 for a new is cheap. If you can find one used, you might get a better deal.

Old 03-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by bryanfeelsgood

I will try eBay.
You may consider the Porter Cable 7336. It's a very similar machine with the only exception of counter weights as I understand it. This machine, as I understand it, can be purchased at Lowe's.

I think this machine is more in the $100 range new.

RP

Quick Reply: For Rock Pick