quick detail or quick wax?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 06:14 PM
#LT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quick detail or quick wax?

quick detail or quick wax, which do you recommend after each wash when i don't have time to give it a good layer of wax. at wal-mart the other night i saw nxt speed detailing and nxt speed wax, each is for using after washing.
thanks in advance

Old 03-29-2005, 07:35 PM
I'm not a real fan of "Quick Waxes/Spray Wax". Some of them are fine, but with the ease of use of many of the "regular" waxes and sealants, it's almost as easy to apply another coat of wax/sealant instead.

I prefer to go the quick route and use a fine QD after washing and drying or a product like Poorboy's Spray & Wipe when there is a little dust or dirt on the vehicle.

Old 03-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Re: quick detail or quick wax?

Originally posted by #LT
each is for using after washing.
From what I understand the NXT Speed Detailer is not intended for just after washing the vehicle. It is intended as a fast way of removing dirt and grime before it scartches your vehicles paint.

- Chris

Old 03-29-2005, 10:06 PM
my brother has a thing of that Quick Wax and Quick Detail spray. I tried it on my truck with his "aplicator" and it didnt look good. I did it awain after a good wash the next day with a cotton cloth and in between the waxing I put on the detailer then waxed again with the spray. It turend out really nice. There's a hard core chevy fan down the road and he was washing his silverado 2500. I drove past and made him double take. His mouth was open and his jaw was dropped.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:36 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Like Boss, I'm not a proponent of the spray wax idea. While this may be an easier way for some to apply wax, to me, it seems just as functional to apply a coat of wax by hand from a bottle or tin. Further, it is my opinion that the full type of application versus that of a spray wax is typically a more durable and shiny finish.

Spray waxes were designed as a 'quick alternative' to smacking a full coat of wax on a vehicle. While they come in spray bottles, I've never successfully 'sprayed' a wax on a vehicle with much success. It's my experience that has shown that they're generally messy, difficult to deal with and further require just as much time to remove as a full coat of wax from a bottle or tin.

With that in mind, I'd strongly recommend going with a QD spray like Final Detail or Quik Detailer. Both can be used immediately after washing and drying (this is part of my technique each and every time I wash); that's not a problem. I find that, by using these products when I'm done with a full wash, I'm able to go back over any 'stray' water spots and such and also leave a very high gloss finish behind.

The solution: Use QD spray and wax often.

RP

Old 03-29-2005, 11:40 PM
Give your truck a good wax job with quality stuff twice a year.
Afterwards a good wipedown with a clean chamois after every wash will do just fine. After that, quick light spray with a detailer to remove any streaks is all you need.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:26 AM
#LT
i guess it's not a great idea to take a short cut on waxing. i read several post about speeding up the waxing process by the use a porter cable buffer. i've been debating on weather to buy one or not and to see if it's really worth the few hundred dollars. roughly how much faster does this make the process? does using a buffer really improve the quality of the application?
thanks again, i'll steer clear from taking a short cut waxing

Old 03-30-2005, 06:40 AM
Well, when it comes to waxes and sealants, I don't know if a PC is that much faster. Even if you use a PC, you will need to apply the wax by hand in all the places where you can't get to with the PC........ like seams, near molding....... Etc. I usually do this first if I'm going to use the PC. A lot of times, I find it just as easy, and almost as quick, to finish the panel by hand while I'm there????? In the end, if somebody actually timed it, I'm sure the PC would be a bit "faster", but not by much.

That said, a PC does apply a nice thin, uniform coat of wax/sealant. If used with a wax/sealant that has some cleaning/polishing abilities, the PC will make better use of those attributes. The PC is also nice to remove some waxes/sealants. Therefore, even though a PC may not be that much "faster", it may have other advantages other than speed that make it worthwhile.

Where a PC really comes into its own is minor paint correction. It is far easier to work light to moderate abrasive cleaners/polishes with a PC.

I guess what I saying is this; Don't buy a PC just for trying to apply a wax faster.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-30-2005, 12:26 PM
#LT
thanks boss, it does help and maybe i'll consider purchasing a pc because it will enhance the look of the truck through the use of abrasive wax or cleaners.

Old 03-30-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Gord
Give your truck a good wax job with quality stuff twice a year.
Afterwards a good wipedown with a clean chamois after every wash will do just fine. After that, quick light spray with a detailer to remove any streaks is all you need.
Best adivse i've seen, but I only wax once a year...seems to do the trick.

Old 03-30-2005, 11:17 PM

I use this in between . I get alot of compliments on the way my truck/car look after using it...

Old 04-01-2005, 05:23 PM
I use a srpay wax as a prevenitive main. if you will. It is by no means my primary wax job, however I do use it after almost every wash that I am not going to give it a proper washing. I realy have not run into any problems with it. I have 1 absorber (brand name chamios) that I use strictly for when I am using the spray wax and it never touches anything except for the paint, no windows or chrome.

Old 04-01-2005, 05:43 PM
There is certainly nothing "wrong" with Spray waxes. If your vehicle is clean you can use them. However, they SHOULD NOT be used on a dusty or dirty vehicle.

Last edited by Boss_429; 04-01-2005 at 06:07 PM.

Quick Reply: quick detail or quick wax?