Detailing 101 For The "Lazy" Girl In Me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by slippysmit
Great write-up RP!

Most people don't realize that claying your car is a very safe and easy process. (As long as you don't have sand in your clay, lol)

Just remember to use lots of lubricant and follow the instructions. Claying is one of my favorite steps in cleaning. It's amazing what you can pick up off your paint that you can't see with your eyes.

-slippy
I really enjoy doing the Clay too. It's really rewarding to feel a "smooth as glass" finish after claying your paint.

I have had my truck since Jan 04, I never even considered spending much time caring for the paint, until I happened upon this site (Jan05), and RP, Boss, and many other's inspiring posts that I read here. Needless to say, my truck went a whole year, without proper care and maintenance given to the paint.

To say the least, I was bitten by "the detailing bug". I have clayed, cleaned, polished, and waxed my truck, and my wife's Camry. I have found that I actually enjoy it, something I never thought I would. I find myself checking out everyone's paint, and noticing the swirls, and crappy shine. I am even pointing it out to my wife, HA!! (She pretends to care).

anyway....

I personally appreciate all you guys do and contribute here, espcially RP and Boss. I may not chime in all the time, but I'm lurking around.

Last edited by kbldawg; 04-04-2005 at 11:18 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 06:07 AM
Just a tip I learned from Mike Phillips at Meguiar's...

After you form out the piece you are going to use, place the wafer piece of clay so that the outside edge does not extend past the tips of your fingers. That way, when using it, the pressure won't all be on the tips of your fingers and "punch finger-holes" through the clay. Most people tend to position the wafer where half of it extends past the fingers, thus causing you to poke through.

-slippy
Good tip... here's another:

When I'm working with my clay, I keep a clear piece of plexiglas handy. When I knead my clay to a clean section, I mist a little QD on the plexiglas, and press the kneaded section onto the plexiglas until it is perfectly flat. That way, you get the full effect of the clay when working the paint on every pass of the clay.

Last edited by Boss_429; 04-05-2005 at 05:13 PM.
Old 04-05-2005, 02:01 PM
Originally posted by Boss_429
Good tip... here's another:

When I'm working with my clay, I keep a clear piece of plexiglas handy. When I knead my clay to a clean section, I mist a little QD on the plexiglas, and press the kneaded section onto the plexiglas until it is perfectly flat. That way, you get the full effect of the clay when work the paint on every pass of the clay.
That's a good one too Boss, I'm gonna have to try that!

-slippy

Old 04-05-2005, 03:32 PM

RP, ...Keep up the good work b/c I know people appreciate it!

-slippy
I second that!

Old 04-05-2005, 03:44 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks again guys... I certainly wasn't looking for a pitty party... more just venting some frustrations....

EXCELLENT TIP BOSS! I've never heard of or thought of that one...

RP

Old 04-05-2005, 04:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey RP-
Do you want some CHEESE to go with that WHINE?!?!

Old 04-05-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks everybody! I know RP, myself, and many others enjoy helping. It's nice to see that people appreciated it!

Old 04-05-2005, 06:44 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by RockyJSquirrel
Hey RP-
Do you want some CHEESE to go with that WHINE?!?!

Don't make me pimp slap you RJS... LOL!

Old 04-06-2005, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by RockPick
It's kind of a bummer to write out a VERY long response like I did in that other 'Tami' thread and not even get a thank you... ya know?
She apparently is staying true to her own self description of "lazy".

SL

Old 04-07-2005, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by kbldawg
I find myself checking out everyone's paint, and noticing the swirls, and crappy shine. I am even pointing it out to my wife, HA!! (She pretends to care).
haha! I think everyone on here does that!

Old 04-08-2005, 02:30 PM

What do you guys think of the spray on clay stuff? Has anybody tried it?

I'm not a normal clay or even a wax guy. I usually just wash my truck about every week, and try to keep all my chrome and stainless (as well as my machined polished rims) as shiny as possible.

BTW-This thread has been a lot of help to me. Thanks guys!

Old 04-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by baroy
Hey RP,

Nice info there. I see you are a BIG fan of the clay process. I really don't know a whole lot about it (I know the basics from what I have read), but I was under the impression that it was for older paint. I see here you are recommending it right outta the box with a new truck. Is it just because of the color black, or do you recommend it for all colors? I have the beige BTW.

Thanks,
baroy

My Gallery
Bayroy,

Thought I'd pitch my two-cents in. I am new to this forum, joining after purchasing a 2005 KR (Dark Copper) two weeks ago. I read several posts, including the original response by RP to the lady who started this thread.

Having a day off from work today, I decided to try the clay routine. I used a Mothers clay bar and an instant detailer from the same company as a lubricant (my local auto parts store did not have the Meguiars bar or I would have followed RP's advice here too).

The stuff is unbelievable - the paint on my truck is like glass. I did a small section on the roof and ran my hand across it then on an area I hadn't done. There was a noticeable difference.

I followed up with paint polish and a carnuba wax from Meguiars. All I can say is "Wow!"

Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

And oh, thanks RP on behalf of this happy forum reader and the lady who started this thread.

Old 04-09-2005, 01:30 AM
detailing

first of all, i wanna thank you guys for all the good advice on this thread. i just bought a black 05 xlt supercrew, and its a bitch keeping it clean. i was curious as to whether or not theres a starter kit of some sort that comes with the clay and the cleaners all in one package?

Old 04-09-2005, 01:44 AM
Moderator &

Several companies make several different types of 'starter packages' but, it may be a better choice to buy the products individually as many contain products that you'll probably never use or they come with lesser versions of products.

In short, this is probably an arena that, if it were my money, I'd buy individual products for individual jobs.

A good kit should include

1. High quality washing goods. (shampoos, mitts, sponges, etc)
2. Clay (to remove stuck on contamination)
3. A good polish ( to deal with swirls and other imperfections)
4. A synthetic wax of some sorts
5. Dressings/Protectants
6. Multiple waffle-wave and regular microfiber towels (high quality only!)
7. A good Quick Detailer spray

RP

Old 04-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by 2005-Ford-KR
...And oh, thanks RP on behalf of this happy forum reader and the lady who started this thread.
Thanks!!

Welcome to f150online.com and to KR ownership! I'm sure you love your 05' KR just about as much as I love mine... probably less though.

RP

Quick Reply: Detailing 101 For The "Lazy" Girl In Me?