Detailing 101 For The "Lazy" Girl In Me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to sound like a broken record, but thanks to RP and Boss. You guys helped me out alot. I went an purchased a Box of microfiber towels, fast dry paint cleaner, Mothers Gold Clay sytem, Mothers FX wax and spray wax, tube of scratch X and a good bucket and wash mitten.

I washed the truck, cleaned the paint, scratchx, clay bar, paint cleaner, mothers cleaner wax, mothers FX wax. And WOW! It looked like a different truck in the driveway. I was never a fan of Silver(but the price was right. :-) ), but this really made the truck shine. Color has that "deep" look to it now. I took it over to the dealership to get the hitch, and they where asking me for tips! I told them to check out this forum!

Old 04-14-2005, 10:30 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Glad it worked out JCV!

RP

Old 04-14-2005, 01:47 PM
Just found this forum this morning...

and have already learned a lot. Thanks!

I've never heard of clay, but am thinking of trying it on my 91 F-150...sounds like it could do wonders for the red oxidized paint. Can I really expect that it could feel smooth as glass, that is , if I do it right?

Thanks again!!

Nat

Originally posted by RockPick
Several companies make several different types of 'starter packages' but, it may be a better choice to buy the products individually as many contain products that you'll probably never use or they come with lesser versions of products.

In short, this is probably an arena that, if it were my money, I'd buy individual products for individual jobs.

A good kit should include

1. High quality washing goods. (shampoos, mitts, sponges, etc)
2. Clay (to remove stuck on contamination)
3. A good polish ( to deal with swirls and other imperfections)
4. A synthetic wax of some sorts
5. Dressings/Protectants
6. Multiple waffle-wave and regular microfiber towels (high quality only!)
7. A good Quick Detailer spray

RP

Old 04-14-2005, 01:50 PM
Boss, can you explain the plexiglass...

Originally posted by Boss_429
Good tip... here's another:

When I'm working with my clay, I keep a clear piece of plexiglas handy. When I knead my clay to a clean section, I mist a little QD on the plexiglas, and press the kneaded section onto the plexiglas until it is perfectly flat. That way, you get the full effect of the clay when working the paint on every pass of the clay.
Boss, can you explain the plexiglass thing where a girl can understand it? Thanks

Old 04-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Moderator &

Re: Just found this forum this morning...

Originally posted by natskidive
and have already learned a lot. Thanks!

I've never heard of clay, but am thinking of trying it on my 91 F-150...sounds like it could do wonders for the red oxidized paint. Can I really expect that it could feel smooth as glass, that is , if I do it right?

Thanks again!!

Nat
Oxidation and bonded contamination are two very different things.

While clay may help your cause some, you'll probably need to use a good paint cleaner like Meguiar's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner (AKA: MPPC) to remove the oxidation and such.

RP

Old 04-14-2005, 02:27 PM
Thanks RockPick! I'll try it!

Old 04-14-2005, 02:29 PM
Which should I use first?

Did I say I am new to all this?

Thanks again!!

Old 04-14-2005, 04:12 PM
Moderator &

Which should I use first?

Did I say I am new to all this?

Thanks again!!
How bad is your oxidation? In short, is your clear coat starting to get 'chalky' or is it light and not so obvious?

I ask because if it's getting chalky, the clear has probably failed in several spots. Nothing can bring that finish back.

But, wait a minute.. you said you have a 91' correct? Do you have clear on that vehicle? If you're not sure... when you've applied wax in the past, have you ended up with a 'colored' towel (from your paint)?

RP

Old 04-15-2005, 07:31 AM
No clearcoat

No clearcoat. I used some Zymol cleaner wax on a section on the hood a last year and rag was red afterwards.

Since no clearcoat, what do you suggest?

Thanks!

Old 04-15-2005, 07:49 AM
And, yes, it is chalky, but it's only got 56K on it and runs great!

Old 04-15-2005, 08:43 AM
Moderator &

With no clear, I'd do:

1. Wash
2. Assess
3. Clay
4. Assess
5. Assess again
6. Paint Cleaner
7. Assess X2 again
8. Pure polish or abrasive polish to remove any remaining swirls (#7 or #9 respectively).
9. Wax
10. Wax.

RP

Old 04-15-2005, 10:50 PM
This thread is out of control in a good way. I think Tami took the info and screwed. It's like on a first date, excuse me but i gotta use the bathroom and never come back. LOL O Well her lost.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:57 PM
Re: Boss, can you explain the plexiglass...

Boss, can you explain the plexiglass thing where a girl can understand it? Thanks
Sure........ as the clay gets dirty, you want to fold it/knead it so that your claying with a fresh/clean part of the clay. By placing it on the plexiglass and pressing down, you get the clay perfectly flat. That way, when you rub it on the paint, you are getting the full affect of the clay and not a bunch of high spots hitting the paint. To be honest, even if you don't use the plexiglas (or similar) after working the clay a bit on the paint....... it will be flat. But it will also be dirty again.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2005, 02:40 AM
Question Boss, RockPick...Thanks guys, more ?

Boss,
Thanks for the clarification...reminds me of playing with silly putty as a kid...kneading it to get rid of newsprint after pressing it on cartoons. Thanks again!

Rockpick,
Thanks! When you say "assess", do you mean to carefully inspect to make sure I've completed that step before moving on to the next?

Hey guys, can't thank you enough for all the great advice on this board. I'm really excited about the possibility of my Dad's truck looking good again. I feel close to him when I drive it...lots of fond memories. Thanks again!!

Oh, and hope to pass it on to my nephew in about 10 yrs.

Old 04-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Moderator &

Re: Boss, RockPick...Thanks guys, more ?

Rockpick,
Thanks! When you say "assess", do you mean to carefully inspect to make sure I've completed that step before moving on to the next?
Exactly correct.

Get down and get personal with your paint. Run your hands over it before and after each of the steps and make notes by simply feeling the paint. You should notice a huge difference on your clay step...

RP

Quick Reply: Detailing 101 For The "Lazy" Girl In Me?