Detailing 101 For The "Lazy" Girl In Me?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2005, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Online source for Meguiar's ?

RockPick,

I seem to recall reading a post regarding a recommended online source for Meguiar's. I haven't been able to find their Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner locally. Do you have a recommendation? Thanks!

Alynda

Old 05-16-2005, 02:31 AM
Question ColorX or ScratchX

Originally Posted by RockPick
With no clear, I'd do:

1. Wash
2. Assess
3. Clay
4. Assess
5. Assess again
6. Paint Cleaner
7. Assess X2 again
8. Pure polish or abrasive polish to remove any remaining swirls (#7 or #9 respectively).
9. Wax
10. Wax.

RP

RockPick,

For red, oxidized paint with no clear coat ('91), should I use ColorX or ScratchX, or both, and if so which first? And, where in the order? I'm thinking after paint cleaner, before polish, is that right?

Thanks!

Alynda

Old 05-16-2005, 08:50 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by natskidive
RockPick,

For red, oxidized paint with no clear coat ('91), should I use ColorX or ScratchX, or both, and if so which first? And, where in the order? I'm thinking after paint cleaner, before polish, is that right?

Thanks!

Alynda

Hi Alynda:

Check the other thread you started... I responded there.

Thanks... RP

Old 07-31-2005, 10:26 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by roboots21
RockPick, I know this is a huge question, but maybe you could right a good how to, .pdf doc or something, that goes through the ins and outs of things you go through here, basically the how to for the everyday joe shmo. Sorta like how you went about the process to do your King Ranch, in depth. Maybe make it a sticky at the top. Only if you can find the time, but it would be awesome, and beneficial to everyone! Thanks!
BTTT...

Just a follow-up. I'm working on a little ditty along these lines that I'm going to put into a .pdf. Before it's distributed though, I'm going to ask some of the guys that have taught me a thing or two to go over it and comment as needed. While I don't claim to be a know-all when it comes to this stuff, if a little item like this can help out (and also help avoid lengthy posts), I'll be happy to do it.

Boss, with that in mind, watch your email in the coming days. Only if you have some time though... I appreciate all that you've helped me with!

-RP-

Old 08-03-2005, 06:16 PM
My dad has turtle wax car polish, is that a decent brand or should I pick up some meguiars?

Old 08-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Dkory22
My dad has turtle wax car polish, is that a decent brand or should I pick up some meguiars?

Turtle Wax makes a few pretty decent products but, your description doesn't specify which Turtle Wax product that your dad has on the shelf.

If it's some of their 'old school' wax, I'd probably opt for something a bit more m modern as that stuff is a BEAST to remove (and also to apply).

There are a lot of great products out there from companies like Mothers, Liquid Glass, and Meguiar's (among several others).

So, which type of TW are you speaking of? Platinum Series?

RP

Old 08-03-2005, 07:04 PM
Had to run and check it out lol. Turtle Wax One Step Color Back Restorative Car Polish. (I think he bought it not knowing the difference between wax and polish). Thanks RockPick you always help me out!

Old 08-03-2005, 08:12 PM
Moderator &

Originally Posted by Dkory22
Had to run and check it out lol. Turtle Wax One Step Color Back Restorative Car Polish. (I think he bought it not knowing the difference between wax and polish). Thanks RockPick you always help me out!
Hmm... Not sure I've seen that one. Is that the 'colored' stuff?

I'd go with Mothers Synwax or Meguiar's NXT. You really can't go wrong with either one from what I've heard (ie: I've used and like NXT... I've heard Syn is a slight step above the NXT).

RP

Old 08-04-2005, 12:50 AM
I have meguiars tech wax but I was wondering about using this for the polish. I'm probably looking at the wrong thing all together

Old 08-04-2005, 10:12 AM
Forgive me if this link has been posted before, but here is a great place to learn about caring for your truck as well as numerous "How-To" articles.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/how-to.html

Quick Reply: Detailing 101 For The "Lazy" Girl In Me?