Painters and Auto Body Workers Please

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Painters and Auto Body Workers Please

My 1998 XLT seems to be in need of a new paint job. The color is Bright Red with Silver Trim. The painters tell me that the clear coat is "letting go".
The truck has been reasonably well maintained. It was built in 9/97. I bought it new in June, 1998. It was a "dealer trade". The original dealer is about 100 miles South in San Diego, CA. San Diego is near the ocean. The truck had light swirls in the paint when I got it. Detailers were able to get out most of the swirls. When the wax faded, they would come back.
The painters tell me that the paint quality in 1997 was still not great. It still suffered from the reformulating caused by reduced emissions in the industry.
I have spoken to 3 paint shops and a detailer. All suggest a complete repaint. Cost is as follows;
Maaco Paint & Body (discount shop); $1,400 to $2,000 for 2 stage paint job. 5 year warranty.
L & G Paint & Body: $3,000 to $4,000 for PPG Paint. Life-time Guaranty. This is a very well reputed shop. Lots of friends have good experience.
Ferrari Bros. Auto Body: $6,000 to $8,000. Very high-end shop. I quit asking questions after I heard the price.
I am told that good quality paint is probably $700 to $1,000 for materials only. This does not include any labor.
My truck is a Super Cab shortbed. Dings are minimal.
These are my questions;
1) Is it possible to 'color sand' and re-shoot only the clear coat? If yes, would this save a lot of money?
2) What should I expect to pay for good quality paint job?
3) Am I making a mistake by choosing Maaco?
4) What brand of paint is recommended?
5) Is paint quality better now than it was in 1997?
I am looking for decent quality. However, this is not a 'show truck'. I park it outside. I tow and launch my watercraft with it. I do some light hauling. I am hoping to keep it at least 5 more years. I might even save it for my daughter's first car at 16. She is now 11. This decision is based on how well the truck is running in 5 years. It currently has 74,000 miles on it. This would bring it to at least 125,000 miles.
Hopefully I have given you enough background on it.
Thank you for any help you can give.

Old 04-05-2005, 10:33 PM
1) Is it possible to 'color sand' and re-shoot only the clear coat? If yes, would this save a lot of money?
I know that if painter's take the time to sand down in order to lay another coat of clear, it is just as laborous as if they were going to re-paint the vehicle completely. So, this wouldn't be a cost effective solution IMO.

-slippy

Old 04-05-2005, 10:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by slippysmit
I know that if painter's take the time to sand down in order to lay another coat of clear, it is just as laborous as if they were going to re-paint the vehicle completely. So, this wouldn't be a cost effective solution IMO.

-slippy
Almost impossible as well might I add...

The clear is sitting immediately on top of the color coat and thus, I'm not sure how one would stop sanding clear at the exact point where clear and color meet...

Also, the painting technologies, as I understand it from a PPG guy who was at the Advanced Detailing Course that I attended at Meguiar's in Irvine about a year ago, painting technology has advanced CONSIDERABLY over that period of time. The only problem is finding the body shops who are utilizing the newest/latest/greatest technologies...

This stuff isn't cheap in the least and thus, if someone bought a booth back in 1998, odds are, they're still utilizing it because it's still not paid for...

RP

Old 04-06-2005, 01:56 AM
The clear is sitting immediately on top of the color coat and thus, I'm not sure how one would stop sanding clear at the exact point where clear and color meet...
Good point and explanation RP...

This is similar to people asking how they can get scratches, etc. out of a hard plastic like Lexan. It's just not possible or practical.

Removing layers is not a problem, it's getting the rest of the area to be of the same "level" of depth you have removed.

-slippy

Old 04-07-2005, 11:38 AM
Thanks for addressing the 'Color Sanding' question on my post. Since it looks like I will be stuck with a complete re-paint, please look at the other 4 questions regarding the actual paint job.
I see Slippysmit is from Redondo Beach, CA and RockPick attended a Meguiar's Seminar in Irvine (is this Irvine, CA, located near Disneyland?).
Can anybody recommend a good Paint Shop near Glendora, CA? Irvine and Redondo Beach are 30 to 50 miles from Glendora. I would like to find someone a little closer.
If I am going to spend upwards of $2K, I would like to find the best possible job at the best possible price.
Thanks again.

Old 04-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know that much about paint prices and thus, that's why I didn't respond to those questions. Long story short, I know enough to make me dangerous but, I've never priced them etc...

I can say that I'd shun the Macco job simply based on reputation that I've heard around here if for nothing else. I think you'll get what you pay for in this arena.

As for body shops in that neck of the woods, I'm not sure. I flew out from Kentucky to attend a 3-day course and really don't know the area other than that...

RP

Old 04-07-2005, 09:23 PM
RP actually attended a nice 3 day course I'd love to try.

I attended a 1-day course that basically gives you a brief introductory in how to properly care for your paint...actually your entire vehicle (exterior and interior). This class is just about every Saturday and welcomes members of its online forum (meguiarsonline.com) to participate. Since you are located within driving distance, I would really suggest you check it out.

As for the paint, I agree with RP in that you should scratch the Macco job. I think you should really take into consideration the attention you plan on giving it. Since you said you plan to keep it about 5 more years, here's my opinion...

It would add great resale value to your truck when time comes to sell it after 5 years. Granted, you don't give it to your daughter. On the plus side, if she does inherit the truck, she will have a nice paint job that hopefully she will appreciate and take care of also. If you think she would be more apt not to take much interest into keeping it up, you might want to consider a less expensive paint job.

Since the truck will be in your possesion for the next 5 years, I would ask myself how important is it for me to have a nice quality paint job that will even motivate me to want to make it shine! IMO I think you should get something you'll be proud of. Personally, I love to see how nice I can get my vehicle and with a lesser paint job you might have limitations. I know some people that have PPG and agree it is a good paint. You might also want to check on other forums as well and ask around.

"You can't polish a turd"

Good Luck!

-slippy

Quick Reply: Painters and Auto Body Workers Please