Questions from a prospective F-150 shopper

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Lek
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions from a prospective F-150 shopper

I'm not sure this is the right board to post....I looked for something general interest, but this is the closest I could find. So, please forgive me if I'm mis-posting here. lol

First, I want to say hi to all of you. After searching the Net I found with great surprise this forum dedicated to the F-150.

I'm currently in the market for a truck....I briefly considered Dodge, but my dad's a Ford guy and Fords have always been good to him, so I'll follow in his footsteps. As a result I've come here for some information as I'm just a couple months away from buying.

I owned a 1990 Ranger 4x4 myself a few years ago, and loved it. That little truck was like a tank in the snow and mud. But now that I'm out of college I want to satisfy my urges for something a little bigger and more powerful---namely an F-150.

My sole concern was with gas mileage. I've been told by two different people, two different stories on F-150s and gas mileage. One guy told me they're horrible, 11 or so miles a gallon. Another told me they're not much worse than a Ranger, about 17 or 18 mpg. Anyone here care to share some insight with this newbie?

I have a few more questions, but I'll hold back for now.

Thanks again guys!

Last edited by Lek; 04-17-2005 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 11:20 AM
Well, this is probably not the right forum and I'm sure one of the Mod's will be glad to move it for you.

In the meantime, there are a lot of variables that go into the mileage thing.....

What engine are you getting?
Are you getting SuperCrew, SuperCab or Regular Cab........ weight matters.
Are you getting a 4 X 4?
Do you drive mostly city or highway?
Driving habits.......... do you have a lead foot or are easy on the pedal?
How the vehicle is maintained?

I had a 2002 SuperCrew 5.4L 4X4.......... I averaged around 14-15.
I drove about 80% highway.
Easy on the gas.
Well maintained.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Lek
Originally posted by Boss_429
Well, this is probably not the right forum and I'm sure one of the Mod's will be glad to move it for you.

In the meantime, there are a lot of variables that go into the mileage thing.....

What engine are you getting?
Are you getting SuperCrew, SuperCab or Regular Cab........ weight matters.
Are you getting a 4 X 4?
Do you drive mostly city or highway?
Driving habits.......... do you have a lead foot or are easy on the pedal?
How the vehicle is maintained?

I had a 2002 SuperCrew 5.4L 4X4.......... I averaged around 14-15.
I drove about 80% highway.
Easy on the gas.
Well maintained.

Hope this helps.
Boss,

Thanks for the reply. I think I found the right forum, I tried deleting this post, but no luck. Note to any mod, feel free to delete this post. I already CPed it to the general forum.

To answer your questions.

I was thinking a 5.4, if I go V8 I might as well go with the 5.4, there isn't too much diff in mileage with the 4.6 I don't think.

I'll also look for a regular cab, 4x4, auto. I drive mostly in semi-rural / small city conditions, little hwy driving. I am very careful with the gas pedal, though on occassion I do put my foot down.....though with my college car a 96 Buick, it just isn't fun

I was also aiming for a 2002 or 2003, F-150.

and lastly I'm fanatical about maintence. regular oil changes, any major probs fixed right away. routine...one might say religious detail to body care. When I had my Ranger I washed, waxed and detailed it every weekend (I loved that truck) Hoping I'll get that feeling again.

I'm 27 now, and I'm looking to own a truck long term. I always read about guys who put 200,000 miles on a truck, replace the engine and keep it running smooth....the F-150s get awesome reviews all around, so I figured it'd be a truck to look at in terms of that kind of long term investment.

Last edited by Lek; 04-17-2005 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Lek,

Your welcome.

Based on what you are planning on getting and everything else, I would think you should be able to get 14-15 MPG.

However, that's a guess......... but it does fall somewhere in the range on the estimate on the sticker.

Good luck.

Old 04-17-2005, 01:43 PM
I'd concur with Boss - I am on my fifth F-150 since 1997. The they all have had the V8 with varying cab configurations. You should expect mid teens with the 5.4L in the model years you mentioned.

Good luck in finding your new ride.

05FKR

Old 04-17-2005, 03:17 PM
Lek
Originally posted by 2005-Ford-KR
I'd concur with Boss - I am on my fifth F-150 since 1997. The they all have had the V8 with varying cab configurations. You should expect mid teens with the 5.4L in the model years you mentioned.

Good luck in finding your new ride.

05FKR
Thanks man!

You said you're on your 5th F-150? Wow! I hope that's not because the first 4 broke down I'm sure not. New and better & such.

I am really looking forward to the prospect of owning my first. I drove an F-150 one time when my car was in the shop and I fell in love. When I got the call that my car was ready, I didn't want to bring the F-150 back!

Now that I have a relatively decent paying job, I think it might be time to buy one myself. Can't afford a new model, but I'm thinking an '02 or an '03 will fit the bill nicely.

Question: How are F-150's offroad?

lek

Old 04-18-2005, 03:20 AM
Location: south western NYS Latitude: 42.34 N, Longitude: 78.46 W
Very dependable trucks see you soon

Old 04-24-2005, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Lek
Thanks man!

You said you're on your 5th F-150? Wow! I hope that's not because the first 4 broke down I'm sure not. New and better & such...

...Question: How are F-150's offroad?
lek
Lek,

No, they haven't broken down! I pick up a new one every two years - I like the smell of new carpet!

I've not done much off-roading, but the truck handles really well in the urban, pot-hole infested, construction zoned mid-west!

05FKR

Quick Reply: Questions from a prospective F-150 shopper