Detailing Supplies on an Airplane?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Detailing Supplies on an Airplane?

This is kind of a crazy question, but I'll be going back home within the next month and wanted to take some of my supplies in order to take care of my parents vehicles.

Does anyone know if I can bring a PC and all my chemicals on a carry-on? Or can I even check them inside of another suitcase?

At worst, I could pack everything up and ship it.

Any help is much appreciated!

-slippy

Old 04-21-2005, 08:55 PM
Slippy,
Give me a bit and I'll check with my sister. She's a stewardess for Continental.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would discourage you from carrying on anything other than basic personal necessities. The system is broken, out of control. The idiot morons 'screening' you have a below-average IQ and blindly follow whatever rules their boss decides to enforce that day. Most are incapable of rational, discretionary thought. If they discover something they can't immediately identify as an item on the 'safe list', then you instantly become the subject of further scrutiny. If the screener cannot personally identify the chemicals you are carrying, consider them confiscated and destroyed (or stolen).

I have little tolerance and no respect for the morons responsible for airline safety. I have to fly next month and I'm considering stuffing my carry-on with dirty underwear and used handkerchiefs as a special surprise for the stupid moron who searches me.

Old 04-21-2005, 09:11 PM
lol RJS, and thanks Ray...I'll be here

I figured aerosols are a definite NO, I'm ok with that.

My main question is my PC as a carry-on.

Or, if stuffing my PC and all non-aerosol in a seperate suitcase and checking it.

-slippy

Old 04-21-2005, 09:34 PM
Your best bet is to simply call the airline you will be flying on and asking them exactly what you need to do with your products. We can all give advice but the airline will actually make the decision and they really don’t care what any of us have to say…

Old 04-21-2005, 09:46 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If it were that simple. But the airlines do not run airport security, the Federal Government does. And we all know what it's like trying to get a straight answer or common sense from a government employee.

Old 04-21-2005, 10:09 PM
You have a good point XLT...

I'm just wondering if someone has actually done or tried this themselves, and what worked or didn't work for them

-slippy

Old 04-21-2005, 10:38 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I brought back several 'samples' from Meguiar's last April when coming home from the 3-day class. I tried to carry them on however; was forced to go back to the desk and check all of them as they all say 'eye irritant' on the labels. I had 'several' items though...

Individually results may vary but, I'd encourage you to check them. If you're worried about leaking and/or damage; overpack them in a cooler and tape it all the way around the seal at the top. This, naturally, will count as one of your checked pieces but, I've utilized this technique for HIGHLY sensative equipment for my job as well as to transport beer back from out west. It's VERY effective and pretty darn safe if you pack well.

RP

Old 04-22-2005, 05:45 PM
Yo Slippy,
Talked to my sister today and she said that since she doesn't work with Security she really cant give you a definitive answer. However, from her perspective, since the buffer doesn't have any sharp edges and can't really be considered to pose any type of "threat" she doesn't see why it wouldn't be allowed on the plane. That is as long as it fits in a carry on and will fit inside the overhead compartments. The wax, may be a problem though. Security may break your chops about it unless it were to be securely sealed, where there is no risk of it leaking or being accessable to passengers. She's flying tomorrow and will try and talk to Airport security about it. If I hear anything I'll let you know.

Last edited by RayCee; 04-24-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:53 PM
Thanks RP and Ray...

I think I should be ok as long as I pack everything in a seperate suitcase and check it.

I'll have to really secure those bottles though...

I was on hold with TSA for 19 minutes, they picked up the phone, said hello, and then hung right up on me. I haven't cooled down enough to call back yet.

-slippy

Old 04-23-2005, 01:01 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your govmt. at work.

Old 04-24-2005, 01:46 PM
Hey Slippy,
My sister talked to Airport security, they said that no tools/machines are allowed in carry on bags. However, you can check them in along with your luggage. Hopes this helps. By the way, sorry for the typos on your name. I edited them correctly.

Old 04-24-2005, 02:41 PM
Just pack 'em up and ship UPS. No hassle, should cost under $20 and will be there waiting for you. Why lug more crap than you have to through the airport and deal with those sniveling idiot TSA shmucks?

Old 04-24-2005, 04:20 PM
no prob Ray, slappy, lol Thanks for the info and incestigative work you did for me.

dzervit, I think that would be the best no-hassle way to go, It's my surest option no doubt

-slippy

Quick Reply: Detailing Supplies on an Airplane?