First time playing in the clay

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2005, 05:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First time playing in the clay

I’ve never clayed anything before, so I started by trying it out on my cheap Red Tracker. It has more than 50k on it, and gets drug behind a Class A motorhome regularly. Paint is less than perfect. Worked fine, and then when I hit it with the NXT wax it really does shine better than it has since new.

So then I attacked my 04 STX. It’s silver. I had previously waxed it with the NXT, but had not clayed it. So claying I did, then finished with NXT. Slightly darker color, and quite shiny. My paint is still not as smooth as I would like, so one of these days I will do it again, and see if that gives it the glass like feel I want.

One difference from all the instructions I have seen. I didn’t want to be tossing the bar every time I dropped it, and I dropped it three times on the Tracker, once on the STX. I had divided the bar into three pieces, before starting. And used different ones on each truck.
I also spread a large plastic drop cloth under the trucks before I clayed them. My garage is clean, and the plastic was new, so I wasn’t worried about dirt on the bar after it hit. So I figure the 3.00 drop cloths saved me the 10 dollar bar. Fair enough.

Something Odd. The clay was blue, and when I went over the Red Tracker, it developed a bit of reddish residue on the clay. The Tracker is clear coated, so it wasn’t red paint.
I went over the Silver F-150, and the new bar was also covered with reddish residue.

I wonder what it is?

Dust is the main problem now. The truck is in a tight garage, but dust always gets in. I have a duster somewhere, and I guess I will use that on occasion, unless there is something else better?
Chris

Old 04-26-2005, 06:17 PM
Chris,

Couple of things... the red in the blue clay bar could have been some overspary or simply some contaminates.

Also, if you recently applied a coat or two of NXT, the clay bar may have had a bit of a difficult time getting through it to reach the paint/contaminates. Yes, clay will remove "some" wax/sealant but not necessarily all of it... depending on the wax/selant and how much of it is still on the paint.

Old 04-26-2005, 07:15 PM
I'd buy the overspray, on the Tracker, but not the same color from the Silver truck... But you may be right about the NTX wax, both had been waxed with it. But Red? Hmmm
Chris

Old 04-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I also di my first ever clay. I say there is somr technique to doing it, I did'nt put down enough luibricant (is used water, maybe there is something better) and I left some clay on the paint. After practicing, I got it down, but it did'nt look like I removed anything (maybe I did but counld'nt see it).There was no drag to the clay when the was enough lubricant. The paint was somewhat smoother, but not like new. It could use more improvement in that aspect

I did a Swirl remover coat after that, then NXT, followed by Carabanuba Wax. The results were fantastic, lots of shine.

Maybe I will clay it again sometime and it may get smoother.

Old 04-26-2005, 11:40 PM
Both the trucks got smoother, just not as smooth as I would like. I put a second coat of NXT on the F-150 today, and it was smoother. hard to tell after you spend a hours washing, claying, waxing. I think your hands go useless.
The Silver F-150 does look better than the day it was new. I have to say Rockpick is right about claying new trucks. My last new ride was a Caddy, and it had a lot better paint, but it cost a lot more....
Chris

Old 04-26-2005, 11:45 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisAdams
...Rockpick is right about claying new trucks...
Careful... don't misquote there...

I'm cut from the cloth of clay it if it needs it. Seems silly to clay if your paint is arriving at the last stop on the perfection train or truck...(but, in your defense, I can't recall seeing but a couple of 'NEW' vehicles that, in my opinion, didn't need clay.

RP

Old 04-27-2005, 01:55 PM
Didn't mean to make a 'sweeping statment' I think anyone that reads your posts know that you allow for exceptions, and common sense.

My wife's Eldo still has a glass smooth finish after 30k miles, I wouldn't clay it. You can see deep in the finish, and it sorta glows.

My F-150 paint from day one had that rough feel, like you get if you park under an elm tree for a few days... That was even after being waxed.
Now, it's smooth. Not like the Caddy, but vastly better.
I think I might clay it again in a couple of months, and see if it gets a little smoother. It's not that much work really.

I put another coat of NXT on it. Looks even better.
I use a pressure washer, with a 1 micron water filter on the intake side (our water here is among the hardest in the country) and use the Mr Clean soap. Still will water spot if you don't wipe it off, though.
Chris

Old 04-27-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by srfd44
I also di my first ever clay. I say there is somr technique to doing it, I did'nt put down enough luibricant (is used water, maybe there is something better) and I left some clay on the paint. After practicing, I got it down, but it did'nt look like I removed anything (maybe I did but counld'nt see it).There was no drag to the clay when the was enough lubricant. The paint was somewhat smoother, but not like new. It could use more improvement in that aspect

I did a Swirl remover coat after that, then NXT, followed by Carabanuba Wax. The results were fantastic, lots of shine.

Maybe I will clay it again sometime and it may get smoother.
Are you saying that you used water as your lubricant? You should really use a QD spray, or at least put a generous amount of good quality car shampoo (GC Car Wash, NXT Car Wash) in your water. You could end up doing more harm than good with water alone. Always follow the directions...

-slippy

Old 04-28-2005, 04:17 PM
I just got done using clay on my truck and what a difference. I used QD spray as a lubricant and it was easier than I thought it would be. I never heard of detail clay until I found this website. Now I find myself obsessing over how clean I can get my truck. Is this common??

Kevin

Old 04-28-2005, 07:28 PM
Sadly, for us addicts, YES.

Old 04-28-2005, 07:57 PM
Originally posted by khindal
I never heard of detail clay until I found this website. Now I find myself obsessing over how clean I can get my truck. Is this common??

Kevin
What we forgot to tell you is this...

The manufacturers put an addictive ingredient into the clay bar called "clayatine". Once you use one... you're hooked!

P.S. RP and I are major shareholders of "Clay-bar" stock!

Last edited by Boss_429; 04-28-2005 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:04 PM
Now I have the urge to go out and do the wife's car and then my daughter's car. My daughter's car needs a lot of work since it is black and has swirls and some scratches. I bought Megiuar's 3 step method and hope to have good results. Maybe I'll have to get the Porter Cable buffer. When will the madness stop!!!

Old 05-01-2005, 09:19 PM
Since posting last, I have 're-clayed' my Red Tracker. The paint there is shot, scrapes etc. I have put two coats of NXT on it after the second claying, and it looked so good, I was forced to put a third coat on my F-150.

I have been getting the wife to take pictures. Silver is not the best color for reflections, but now it reflects VERY well.

The NXT is so easy to put on, that it's hard not to do more than one coat.

I read in here about letting it 'cure' so I put one coat on, waited a day, put another coat on, and the third coat is two days after the second.

I suppose I'm at diminishing returns, so I will leave it at three.
It looks so much better than when it was new that it is startling.
Chris

Old 05-01-2005, 09:26 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by ChrisAdams
I suppose I'm at diminishing returns, so I will leave it at three.
It looks so much better than when it was new that it is startling.
Chris
Yep... you're probably at the end of the spectrum on getting a return...

It looks EXCELLENT man! Silver is one of those colors that is difficult to really make pop... it looks like you've accomplished it though.

NICE WORK!

RP

Old 05-01-2005, 09:28 PM
Thank you RockPick, I owe it to your cool directions.
Not blowing smoke here, I learned a LOT from your posts.
Thanks again
Chris

Quick Reply: First time playing in the clay