PC 7424..Where To Buy & What Accessories?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PC 7424..Where To Buy & What Accessories?

After much reading I have decided to buy a PC 7424 and tackle these swirl marks on my truck. I figure that I can't make it look anything but better. However, I am very confused (after much reading) as to what pads I need. I bought some light cut made by a company called Hi-Temp. Could those of you in the know please advise (tell me) what pads I should buy, how many of each I should buy, and where to buy them & the PC 7424. I have also read about needing a counter balance. Is this something I need to buy? Take it easy on me guys as not only am I a novice at this( 26 years young), but I am also blond

Old 04-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Coastal Tool www.coastaltool.com for the PC.
and
Premium Auto Care www.pac.com for the pads (Edge 2000 pads)

Old 04-28-2005, 06:30 PM
Tami,

First, I think Flareside150 meant this site:

http://www.premiumautocare.com

Here are some quick notes on the PC:

Get at least 2 or 3 polishing pads. (6 1/2" or 7 1/2" pads depending on brand)
Get at least 1 or 2 finishing pads. (6 1/2" or 7 1/2" pads
Dedicate the pads to specific products or very similar products.
Get a 5" hook & loop backing plate.
Use the 6" counter weight that comes with the kit from Coastal (or ask for it wherever you buy it)

Use the polishing pads with light to moderately abrasive polishes with the PC set on 4 to 5.

Use the finishing pads with waxes, sealants or glazes with the PC set on 3 to 4.

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to ask.

P.S. Here's a great forum at MOL to learn more about the PC. (Meguiar's calls the PC a G100

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/forums...php?forumid=67

Here are some other great links to help:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=47

http://forums.roadfly.org/forums/det...1430487&page=1

Old 04-28-2005, 07:54 PM
For a great starter package, including the Meguiar's version of the 7424 (which has a LIFETIME warranty) go to...

PC Deals

As Boss mentioned, you'll need multiple polishing and a couple of finishing pads.

Read, read, read....(autopia.org, meguiarsonline.com)

-slippy

Old 04-29-2005, 04:13 PM
I agree with Slippy. I bought mine from the link he suggested. Considering what I got I thought I got a good deal. If you have any questions talk to Rick he is very helpful.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:20 PM
They are nice looking kits. I like the second one. Get a couple more polishing pads, maybe another finishing pad, and a 6" counter weight and you're in pretty good shape.

Old 05-01-2005, 12:49 PM
Your right Boss. I ordered the 2nd kit and as you said also added extra pads. I think I will order some more pads. Hey Boss or anyone else your thoughts on the new Meg's 21, also how long should the pads for a PC last?

Thanks,

Joe

Old 05-01-2005, 04:26 PM
Joe,

Haven't tried the #21 sealant yet. However, I've seen some very nice results from it!

As for the pads, it all depends how you are using them and how they are taken care of. I usually get a dozen or more uses with each pad (with a PC). A rotary uses them up faster.

Old 05-01-2005, 05:32 PM
I've used #21 and loved it! I even posted a thread at meguiarsonline.com of my wife's car before/after. You'll also find a bunch of reviews from other people as well.

It is VERY easy to use. Similar to NXT. Goes on like melted butter and is a breeze to remove. The gloss is great! The only bad thing is it can be hard to see when removing. I actually prefer it to NXT on my wife's black vehicle.

Good Luck!

-slippy

Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried 21 for the first time today and am actually doing some product comparisons vs. NXT on my hood.

My impressions weren't quite what everyone else has been raving about.

Background:

The weather was sunny and dry/clear. Humidity today was less than 40%.

Application was simple; as I expected. Went on very smooth and even with the MF Even Coat Applicator (a TREMENDOUS product). I applied a VERY thin coat.

Removal was a bit different. It set up for around 10 mins before I got back to removing it. It came off easy but left an 'oily' residue behind. After some elbow grease and a bit of Final Inspection, I got it like I wanted. I'm not positive if this will affect my overall testing or not.

I will say this... it was amazing how much it 'darkened' the paint.

Now, all I have to do is wait it out and see the results. I took a couple of snapshots...

So, the jury is out right now for me. I think I'll like it... we'll see.

RP

Old 05-02-2005, 12:23 AM
I think you will RP, just give it a day or so

-slippy

Old 05-02-2005, 09:28 PM
Hey RP keep us posted with your impressions, likes, dislikes please. I am interested in this product and would like your take on it.

Joe

Old 05-02-2005, 10:31 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by LINYScrew
Hey RP keep us posted with your impressions, likes, dislikes please. I am interested in this product and would like your take on it.

Joe
Thanks Joe. I appreciate your interest.

Day 2 impressions are about the same as day 1 impressions... I still see a very slight oily look to the paint. Again, Final Inspection was adequate in removing the problem. This was unique to the side being tested with #21. I have read one or two other reviews that were similar to my experiences thus far and I'm optimistic that this problem will cease... I'm still perplexed though.

A few photos...

Side by Side -- Painter's Tape Separation

Here's an interesting one... you'll really have to look closely to see what I describe.

See the two lights on the ceiling (the reflection)? See where the tape was located on the hood? Look very closely at both sides of where the tape was and note, the area where the tape was stuck-on has not been coated with anything. See the darkening of the black paint on both sides?

Both products substantially darken the paint... very impressive to say the least.

RP

Old 05-03-2005, 12:19 AM
The NXT shows more detail in the reflection IMHO. The ceiling light on the passenger's side of your hood is more focused than the one on the driver's side.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:55 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Peacemaker
The NXT shows more detail in the reflection IMHO. The ceiling light on the passenger's side of your hood is more focused than the one on the driver's side.
Umm... yes and no. I think you might be seeing the result of my orange peel... and I have a lot of it.

Quick Reply: PC 7424..Where To Buy & What Accessories?