Nanowax? Pro or Con

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nanowax? Pro or Con

The guys at Autozone swear that Eagle Ones Zanowax is the best stuff out there for dark vehicles. I have aa 98 with no bad paint but have the usual swirls and lt scratches they say Nano will make it look new.

Any thoughts?

Old 04-29-2005, 11:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've heard decent things about Nano but, I don't think that it's cleaning action is going to be adequate to really address many 'serious' or even 'slightly serious' swirls/scratches/etc.

Based on your vehicle's condition, you may want to consider something with more 'cleaning' action to adequately remove your swirls and then follow with Nano as a last step for protection.

There are several products on the market that are specifically marketed towards swirl removal and, to my knowledge, most all of them work pretty well when used as directed.

Meguiar's makes a couple of products that I would suggest that may be fairly readily available.

One is called COLOR-X. This is a 'one step' product (polish and wax) that will remove a lot of swirls and oxidation and offer a layer of protection in one step. While you may not solve all of your problems with one application, a couple of applications will do quite a bit from my experience.

A second product that is pretty readily available (like Color-X) is called Scratch-X. While I'm not a big fan of using this all over a vehicle as it is a bit more difficult to work with, it really does a GREAT job of dealing with more severe scratches and swirls. If it were mind and it was dark (as you've described), I'd use this product on the 'bad areas' and then use the color-x on the others.

A third product that I'd recommend is Meguiar's Swirl-Remover 2.0 (commonly called Meguiar's #9). This is a very user friendly product that is a part of Meg's Mirror Glaze line (the professional line) and is commonly available at most AutoZone type stores.

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have... we have a wealth of folks here with a wealth of knowledge on a wealth of products!

RP

Old 04-30-2005, 08:03 AM
Well I used to be a Zaino guy and it did a good job but I dont have 3 hours to wax my black truck anymore so I need something thats all in one and fairly quick to use. I dont think my paint has anything serious just normal wear after 6 years but I take good care of my truck i should post some pics. So what would you recommend for my needs?

Also have you heard of this Flitz stuff? My friend says it worked wonders on his chrome and stainless pipes.

Old 04-30-2005, 03:15 PM
breaker,

You're not going to find an all-in-one product that will take care of the usual swirls and scratches. RP gave you some excellent advice... I would consider it. In particular, his recommendation for using the ColorX for your situation is about as good as you are going to get.

The Flitz is pretty good stuff... but there are some products even better.

Old 04-30-2005, 06:36 PM
Ok so Color X is a go, my swirls are light so that should fix it. So what wax and finishing spray would you recommend?

I also have some surface rust spots on my powdercoated brush guard and my chrome wheels, I was going to use flitz? What do you recommend?

Old 04-30-2005, 07:39 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by breaker
Ok so Color X is a go, my swirls are light so that should fix it. So what wax and finishing spray would you recommend?

I also have some surface rust spots on my powdercoated brush guard and my chrome wheels, I was going to use flitz? What do you recommend?
Color-X is a one step product and thus, you may or may not wish to go with an additional last step product. In short, the ColorX will leave behind a layer of protection... ColorX should deal with light swirling with no problems. It's a VERY versatile product IMO.

Now, if it were mine, I'd probably follow with a coat of NXT or #26 or #16 if it's a dark vehicle.

As for the Flitz... dunno.

Boss brought up a product called Heavy Metal Polish to me a while back in an email and I gave it a try. To date, it's easily the best metal polish that I've ever worked with... I believe they'll send samples if you request it.

RP

Old 04-30-2005, 10:45 PM
Old 05-01-2005, 01:36 AM
Just used NXT for the first time on my dark metalic blue 95 150, holy freekin' cow!!! Never and I mean never will I go back to carnuba. Don't know about Nano, never used it, but not impressed with other Eagle 1 products. Can tell you this tho, NXT rocks!! Easy on, easy off, and a deep brilliant shine. Good stuff Maynard!!

Last edited by BlueOvalBob; 05-01-2005 at 11:24 AM.
Old 05-01-2005, 08:36 AM
Ok now for a dumb question I assume NXT is made by Meguiers? Is NXT better than Zaino? Z has come out with a few new products since I last used it was wondering what you thought, and would you recommend a finishing spray like Z6 or is that hype?

Old 05-01-2005, 10:46 AM
Moderator &

Ok now for a dumb question I assume NXT is made by Meguiers? Is NXT better than Zaino? Z has come out with a few new products since I last used it was wondering what you thought, and would you recommend a finishing spray like Z6 or is that hype?
There are pros and cons to both...

Z is probably going to last a bit longer than NXT but, NXT is more readily available.

NXT is a one step product whereas Zaino is a multiple step product (although, I would recommend two coats of NXT). Both are 'easy on/easy off' products. Z is a bit more expensive but, like I said, does yeild a better life on the paint.

You're going to get a HUGE mixed bag of responses from this question on any website (not just f150online.com). Both groups are pretty loyal to their products. I've tried both and lean one way versus the other but, another guy will lean the other way. I've seen folks that swear by NXT that have switched from Z and I see folks that won't go back to NXT because they've used Z... it's all opinion; only YOUR opinion will be the right one.

Both are excellent products. It's just a matter of weighing out what you want from a polish/last step product and making your own decision...

RP

Old 05-01-2005, 01:55 PM
Has anyone every mixed the products? NXT with the new z8 sealer for example?

So what you telling me is to wash my truck with whatever, then use color x, then a couple coats of nxt?

Just want to make sure I get the steps right

What did you recommend for cleaning chrome/stainless steel especially for small rust spots?

Old 05-01-2005, 03:29 PM
Have you tried Mothers new FX line?

Old 05-01-2005, 08:50 PM
Moderator &

Have you tried Mothers new FX line?
Had it in my hand the other day to buy at PepBoys but talked myself out of it before I made it to the register... I just have to go through some other products before I start buying more... seriously, it's getting rediculous what all I have here.

I think Boss has tried it. As I recall, he liked it. Stay tuned, I'm sure he'll be here shortly.

RP

Old 05-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Moderator &

Has anyone every mixed the products? NXT with the new z8 sealer for example?

I haven't read about anyone doing that... Not sure honestly.

So what you telling me is to wash my truck with whatever, then use color x, then a couple coats of nxt?

Just want to make sure I get the steps right

Nope. Not with whatever. Use a high quality car wash shampoo. Something that offers high degrees of lubrication and is pH balanced.

There are several great washes that are commercially available at 'mart' style stores. Target, for example, sells Meguiar's Gold Class Shampoo by the gallon for $10 which, in my opinion, is a steal. (GC is one of my favorite shampoos because of price and quality).

Other than that, you're just about right. It might take a couple of applications of Color-X to get where you'd like to be but, be reminded, Color-X isn't a miracle product. Some swirls/scratches are going to be beyond anything that you can use by hand and will require someone utilizing something mechanical to remove some. Also, some blemishes are even beyond mechanical removal. There is no silver-bullet in this arena.... there are alot of great products but, nothing perfect.

What did you recommend for cleaning chrome/stainless steel especially for small rust spots?
Heavy Metal Polish -- pending your metal isn't coated.

Are the rust spots surficial or in the metal? In short, is the stainless/chrome deteriorating or flaking or do you have a tiny spec of something adhered to the metal that is oxidizing?

RP

Old 05-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Should I go get a buffer to put the Color X on, i think Sutozone has one for 40 bucks, I saw Meguiers has one but its like 250, Im not really familar with buffers so I dont want to make things worse

Quick Reply: Nanowax? Pro or Con