Scratch and paint chip repair advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 08:48 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Scratch and paint chip repair advice

Little scratches don't really bug me a lot; I like to think of it as character. However, I've got these on the right rear bed side, about midway between the front of the bed and the tail light:

I've tried repeated applications of ColorX, and it doesn't really seem to help. They aren't particularly deep, but a couple of the longer scratches can felt slightly with a fingernail.

And these make me wish I didn't buy a truck with two tone paint:

Sorry about the quality (or lack thereof) of the pics, I took these just after washing today, I was running out of daylight. I've got four or five more fairly deep chips in the front bumper like that one. I know it's a bumper and all, but they still **** me off. Any recommendations for a course of action to take to try to fix these things? A local jobber that stops by the shop fixes stuff up like this to where it looks great, but if I can save a buck and learn something in the process, I'm all for it. I dunno whether a more aggressive product would be required for the scratches (which are the most annoying)? Maybe power application? I foresee a PC in my near future if that makes any difference. Heeeeelllllppp!

Old 05-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
IMO...

If you're feeling them with your fingernail, there's probably not much that can be done to really make them 'go away'. You can, however, reduce their appearance by utilizing a product like Meg's ScratchX and some time.

This product will probably not remove it but, I can almost assure you that it'll reduce the appearance.

Removal will probably require paint and sanding....

RP

Old 05-01-2005, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by RockPick

Removal will probably require paint and sanding....

That's what I didn't want to hear. Oh well, I guess I'll give ScratchX a try next weekend. I'll take some before and after pictures then to see (if any) improvement.

Old 05-01-2005, 10:35 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I may be wrong but, if you're feeling them with your fingernail, I have a hunch it might be too much for a rotary and a compound to remove. That's kind of my rule of thumb on scratch removal... my thumbs have been wrong before though...

Be sure to follow the directions with Scratch-X as it is an abrasive product... aka: don't over do it.

RP

Old 05-02-2005, 09:12 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quintin,

I have the PC and a couple of products (meguiars #83, #80, #9, scratchx) that may help a little. If you like, and if you have the time, I can either help you with your problems or you can borrow them and give it a go yourself.
If you are interested, let me know and we can work out the details.

Gary

Old 05-03-2005, 12:01 AM

Gary, I might take you up on that pretty soon. I wanna get it taken care of and do the cleaner/polish/wax thing right before it gets too hot to effectively do it, I ain't got that much shade in my yard, so I'm often times forced to work fast in the sun. I'll let ya know.

Thanks.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just let me know and we can work something out.
I would need a few days notice if you borrow it as I use the PC about every other weekend detailing other people's cars.

Gary

Quick Reply: Scratch and paint chip repair advice