window and bugs

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 03:04 AM
#LT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
window and bugs

everytime i wash my truck, i noticed the bugs comes off easier on paint then on the window. seems like the window and chrome bumper always needs a good scrub before all the bugs and tar will come off...

i'm guessing the reason why it comes off paint easier is because of the multiple layers of wax on there; so with this in mind, (this my be a stupid question) can i wax my windows and chrome bumper? has anyone tried the rain-x or other window protection (where the claim nothing will stick and water glides right off)?

last, what kind of bug removal do you use or recommend? i saw one made by gunk and turtle wax at wal-mart

thanks

Old 05-02-2005, 08:08 AM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Absolutely no problem waxing the chrome bumper...

Probably a waste to wax the windshield because your wipers will wear through the wax in very short order.

Rain-X is a decent product that works for a while. As far as making bug removal easier, I'm not sure.

RP

Old 05-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Rain-x does help with the bug removal. Just be sure to re-apply your rain-x every two weeks or so...

Old 05-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah -- Rain-X makes bug removal a breeze. It especially comes in handy when its "Love Bug" season down here in Houston!

I re-apply it everytime I wash the vehicle, whether it needs it or not. This is probably overkill, but its part of my normal detailing routine, so I just run with it.

Old 05-03-2005, 01:34 AM
One word of caution about the use of Rain-X. My husband had to have a rock chip repaired in the windshield of his truck. The guy at the glass place had a hard time getting the adhesive they use to stick and seal the chip. He asked my husband if he ever used Rain-X on his window, which he has, many times. The guy said the Rain-X gets down inside a crack or chip which will make the adhesive not want to stick. If you use Rain-X and get a chip in your glass, I'd recommend getting the chip fixed before applying any more Rain-X.

Quick Reply: window and bugs