Product Review: Meguiar's Hyper Dressing

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 10:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Product Review: Meguiar's Hyper Dressing

About a year ago, Meguiar's unveiled the new 'Detailer Line' (D-Line) of products replacing a very nice line that was already in place. Meg's stands by that they were revamping the line because of VOC / California air codes but, a bit of digging yielded that they simply wanted to bring this line 'in-house' (whereas they had been using a third-party company to manufacturer these products for them).

None the less, out with the old, in with the new (I just wish they wouldn't have killed Final Detail -- another gripe, another day). With that in mind, I've slowly gathered several of the new D-line products and have been trying them out over the past few months.

Most recently, I've been using Meguiar's Hyper Dressing. This is a dressing that is pretty unique to the industry in that it is DILUTABLE to your desired look (high gloss to natural shine (and everywhere in between)). This is a VERY versatile product!

My opinion is that Meg's has hit the nail on the head with Hyper Dressing. While other manufacturers have tried similar products (Pro-Products makes one even today), none, in my opinion, are capable of doing what this product does with a couple of sprays.

Application is cake. Simply spray on and walk away. Come back to your tire a little later and even it up with a foam applicator or, my favorite, an Eagle One Tire Swipe. Allow to dry for a while and roll! (don't forget to clean off any over spray from your wheel!). I highly recommend utilizing a good cleaner to clean your tires as part of your detailing procedure. I utilized the late/great Meguiar's Citri-Gel at 1:1 for tire cleaning on this detail.

Sling is VERY minimal, although, I did note a couple of blotches on the paint after usage (probably white wall lettering holding a bit of product). The 'sling' on the tire itself (you know, the smear that runs away from the whitewall lettering and other texture) was nominal and almost non-existent.

Price. A bit on the high side but, look at it this way, even at a 2:1 Medium Gloss ratio, you're getting TWO GALLONS of dressing (enough to last the average Joe YEARS... not months) for the asking price of around $35 at Auto Detailing Solutions. If you're a natural shine type of person, 4-gallons for that price! Or, you can do like I've done, and mix up a couple of different ratios for different applications!

Comparison. If you like Meguiar's Hi-Gloss Endurance or Hot Shine, you're going to LOVE this product. The one flaw on this product is that it's slightly sticky (not bad but, noticeable) and thus, you may have to address your whitewalls so that they don't look dingy after a few trips up and down the interstate). This product smells just like Endurance -- grapey.

Usage. Use it anywhere that you'd use a dressing. While I typically reserve my wheel wells for the 'tire shine' products (like EO WET) that I don't particularly care for, I've been hitting my wells with a few shots of this and they seem to stay black longer... even after rains. Further, I've noted that the lasting shine is comparable to Endurance; even through rain.

Feel free to ask questions. I may not know the answer but, I'll sure give it a stab...

Now, a few pics...

RP

Old 05-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RP....Im sure you're aware that you can go to meguiars and look for local body shops that deal with the professional line and order from them. I think it is cheaper than ordering online. I bought a gallon of DACP for $30....Cheaper than having it shipped to me....I will definitely try the hyperdressing...Right now I have been using Stoner's Trim Shine...Only 1.99 a can here...

Old 05-03-2005, 05:10 AM
Man I hate shiney tires! To each his own though.

Can this stuff really make tires look.... just new? Hate to buy a whole gallon and then throw it away like all the other tire stuff I've tried.

You mentioned wheelwells. The inner panels must be made of fiberglass as they're showing a pattern. What do you do/recommend to make them presentable?

Old 05-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Great review RP, and your KR looks

Have you tried the HD in the engine compartment yet?

Old 05-03-2005, 08:38 AM
Great review, RP. Thanks for the info. I'll have to try the Hyper Dressing. First, I need to use all the NXT Protectant I have. My local Advance Auto Parts had it on clearance for $1.99, so I bought it all.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:41 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Flagship
Can this stuff really make tires look.... just new? Hate to buy a whole gallon and then throw it away like all the other tire stuff I've tried.

You mentioned wheelwells. The inner panels must be made of fiberglass as they're showing a pattern. What do you do/recommend to make them presentable?
Yep. It will. At 4:1, it's a very 'natural' looking shine/matte look. If that's still too much for you, you can go 5:1 or maybe less.

Not sure what you're talking about on your 'inner panels' on your wheel wells... Can you give me a bit more info?

RP

Old 05-03-2005, 08:43 AM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Boss_429
Great review RP, and your KR looks

Have you tried the HD in the engine compartment yet?
Yep. Used it Sunday and forgot to take pictures.

I'll run outside while at work today and try to grab a few... It looks VERY good in my opinion... similar to Engine Kote in appearance but, easier to use.

RP

Old 05-03-2005, 09:24 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sweet. I have been using the hot shine by meguiars, looks like I will have to pick up some hyper dressing too.

Old 05-03-2005, 09:51 AM
Huh... RP loves a Meg product. I'm shocked.

Sounds interesting, might have to get me some of that.

Old 05-03-2005, 11:11 AM
RP, I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what are the differences between Meg's All-Season Dressing, Silicone-Free Dressing, and Hyper Dressing?

Yes, dzervit, I know the Silicone-Free Dressing is free of silicone...

Old 05-03-2005, 11:28 AM
Moderator &

I believe that ASD is a solvent based dressing. Not dilutable. All around good product. A bit cheaper than Hyper D.

SFD is, like you pointed out, silicone-free. This makes it a body-shop safe product. Body shop safe is the key here.

Hyper D is a versatility product... You pick the level of shine you want. A bit more pricey but, dilutable to your preference and thus, more bang for the buck from a gallon.

All three products are only sold by the gallon and all serve an individual niche within the 'Detailing' realm. While I doubt I'd ever have a need for SFD or ASD, they're there for folks who would rather go a bit cheaper on their dressing or for folks who need a silicone free environment.

I really haven't read much bad about any of the three products honestly... I don't think many use SFD.

RP

Old 05-03-2005, 12:02 PM
Learn something new every day. Thanks for the info, Rock.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by RockPick
Yep. It will. At 4:1, it's a very 'natural' looking shine/matte look. If that's still too much for you, you can go 5:1 or maybe less.

Not sure what you're talking about on your 'inner panels' on your wheel wells... Can you give me a bit more info?

RP
I'm talking about the apparently fiberglass, rounded thing that's inside the front fender, covering the wheel. Just above the upper control arm. If you put your hand on the top of the tire, and lift it straight up, you'll hit the part I'm talking about. It has a "texture" and is a non-descrept color that just doesn't look so good. I tried spray undercoat on another vehicle, and it turns kinda brown and looks ugly.

Old 05-03-2005, 05:38 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Flagship,

Are you talking about this piece?

It is plastic, the one in the picture is 15 months old and still looks good. Just clean it good with your choice of cleaner, hose it down good and slap some dressing on it.

Old 05-03-2005, 10:14 PM
Moderator &

Poor picture... sorry. I forgot to take them during the daylight and thus, you're seeing a 'flash' photo...

I know that's awful... I'll try to remember to snag a few more this weekend... it REALLY looks good though...

RP

Quick Reply: Product Review: Meguiar's Hyper Dressing