Meguiar's #16 and Medallion Paint Cleaner - The Discontinued Duo

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Meguiar's #16 and Medallion Paint Cleaner - The Discontinued Duo

In an effort to burn through a few products, I've been running through my stash and figuring out what I can use to achieve higher, deeper, and more stable gloss. While scurrying through my Rubbermaid bins that I keep in my office (full of products), I ran across my Meg's Medallion Premium Paint Cleaner (MPPC) and a recent 'top of my list' favorite, #16 Professional Paste Wax.

After setting up a product comparison of NXT versus the new #21 Synthetic Sealant on my hood, I decided to go a different route on my truck as I had some problem areas that needed to be addressed.

One problem spot was my lid. A friendly bird at work decided to drop his gifts upon my lid. I could describe it in detail but, let's just say it wasn't a 'solid' rectal gift. Very runny. That runny characteristic yielded a bird bomb spot/etch that wasn't your standard size; more like 4 inches long times 2 inches wide. Needless to say, I was EXTREMELY agitatated. This happend about a month ago and I'm finally getting around to taking care of it (remove bird poo as rapidly as possible!!! -- I couldn't on this one and ended up having to work to remove it).

In addition to the bomb, I had several slight water spots that are a result of my wonderful water quality (hard as heck with calcium). I knew I'd have to use something to remove them... enter MPPC.

I started with a standard clay job all the way across my vehicle following my wash with Meguiar's Shampoo Plus, tires and wells cleaned with Meguiar's Citri-Gel @ 1:1. This is the second time I've clayed in about 6 months and, I must say, I was blown away at how much bonded contamination was present... This clay *WAS* white...and that's just half of my tailgate!!!! Argh...

(Boss -- I'm going to be buying some plexiglas very soon and use your trick -- note the 'uneven' flat areas on the clay -- using Boss's trick, use the plexi to flaten your clay for a flush surface -- GREAT tip!)

So, after a full clay (using Final Inspection as a lubricating agent), I went to clean the paint. I had a few scuffs and light scratches as a result of washing, drying, and quick detailing but, nothing that was horrible. The water spots, as aforementioned, were very noticable on my black paint.

MPPC was used along with a yellow 8006 polishing pad on my 7424 PC set at speed 4. I moved with very slow passes and worked on small areas at a time ensuring that all of the vehicle was covered. After doing all I could do with the PC, I pulled out a few foam applicators and finished the 'tough to get' spots (gutters, around door handles, etc) by hand. My hood and lid recieved two passes each. Product removal was done as I finished a small section prior to the product fully drying -- it was getting gummy though.

I followed with my product test on the hood (#21 vs. NXT) and then went to my new favorite carnauba based wax -- Meguiar's Professional Paste Wax (#16) which was discontinued a few months ago (as was MPPC because of air regulations -- lots of solvents in this one). The #16 was applied by PC using a tan 9006 finishing pad on speed 3. I like the PC with #16 to ensure a very thin and even coat because, as many will tell you, #16 can be a beast if applied too thick! (it's a very old school product that has been around for years but still works WONDERFUL!).

Three coats of #16 later, I was ready to pull it out into the sun to do some final touch ups, remove any product from creases/emblems/etc and to wax the door jambs (yes, I degreased/cleaned them earlier with Safe D-Greaser). After final removal, I sat back and enjoyed...

--More in Next Post--

Old 05-02-2005, 11:17 PM
Moderator &

A few more pics...

*note the wife's explorer again -- I like reflecting it... *

Chemicals Used...

Feel free to ask any questions that you may have... Thanks for reading/looking!

RP

Old 05-02-2005, 11:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
YOU ARE INSANE!!!!!

Old 05-02-2005, 11:35 PM
lookin great RP!

did you post that cross pic of NXT vs #21 on here yet?

Old 05-02-2005, 11:39 PM
Moderator &

Originally posted by Harley#356
did you post that cross pic of NXT vs #21 on here yet?
Yep...buried in another thread but, it's there...

I might break it out into it's own thread eventually...

#21 versus NXT

Old 05-03-2005, 01:40 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
can you do that to my truck ?

Old 05-03-2005, 01:49 AM
Umm...yeah please quit putting us to shame. Thats just unreal...plenty of trucks look clean but that thing is unbelievably clean. I think I'd cry for you if it rained that evening!

Old 05-03-2005, 01:58 AM
RP...if you are needing more #16, I know where you can get some. I have only been able to find it at one place locally here in Hawaii but he also sells online. LMK..

Brian

Old 05-03-2005, 02:00 AM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Looks great, but i thought you off all people would have a portable canopy to protect your truck from those evil birds.
I saw one that would be perfect for you here:vehicle canopy
Later Trev

Old 05-03-2005, 02:29 AM
lol, I wonder if he could attach it to the truck to be a moving protectant? hehe, jk. just razzing you RP b/c none of us have the patience to make our trucks that clean, and we're jealous...at least I am.

Old 05-03-2005, 03:36 AM
Man! You can do all that in only 6 hours? You must not take time for many brews!

I have two questions for you:

First, I noticed with horror, very light scratches in my paint. Looked like I had been through a car wash. Spider web like lines that were visable only in bright light, and at an angle. I HAD been using a sponge for washing. Is that what did it? I threw away the sponge and got a mitt. A Turtle Wax wash mitt from Pep boys. Did I do right?

Second, How much polishing, cleaning, etc., can we do before we get through the clear coat? I remember my 58 Pontiac showing primer on all ridges, made it look horrible! Don't want to duplicate that ever again!

Oh! One more!!! How about etched glass? Acid rain and all. I've heard that glass stovetop cleaner will work. Any thoughts?

Old 05-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Banned
Geez Man, that truck looks like it just came off the show room floor if not in better shape!! Good Job man!

Old 05-03-2005, 08:15 AM
That looks awesome. I ALMOST bought a black FX4 before I got the rig I now drive, but didn't for fear of the scratches the black
would show. If I knew about the little tricks to keep it sharp that
I now know from being a member of this sight, I might have went
for it. The problem is my DRK TOREADOR RED does a great job
of displaying the scratches too ......

Old 05-03-2005, 08:31 AM
Good job, RP. Its a shame you had to go through all that because of a some bird poo.

Old 05-03-2005, 08:56 AM
Looks awesome!

Jz, you're right about the torreador, should have bought a silver truck!

Should we be expecting some 1st Zaino-of-the-year pics from Burt to appear in this thread?

Quick Reply: Meguiar's #16 and Medallion Paint Cleaner - The Discontinued Duo