One HAIL of a day

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 09:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One HAIL of a day

Man you wouldn't believe it. I've lived in Florida for 16 years now. I've seen hurricanes, tornados, thunderstorms, and lightning. But today I experienced hail for the first time. I had to watch golf ball sized hail ***** beam my truck for a full minute. All the little hondas around me got killed with dents and scratches. I didn't get ANY dents, but I did get scratches. Not very major at all. I'm asking if there's any way I can avoid calling up my insurance agency. Buffing, waxing, praying. I'm open to anything. And I haven't even owned the truck for a month!

Old 05-04-2005, 09:18 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
That is PAINFUL to watch...

Fortunately, back in 99' I had a 90' Geo Prizm... I watched baseball sized hail take it to being totalled...

They had SOFTBALL sized hail on the other side of town where all of the car dealerships were located.... that was UNBELIEVABLE.

RP

Old 05-05-2005, 12:11 AM
We generally see hail in my area yearly. Yes, the feeling of no control is sickening. Golf ball sized hail typically causes dents and damages the paint (home shingles as well). On Heritage trucks, the hood shows the first signs of dents, depending on size of hail, because it's aluminum. With dime to penny size hail, you can avoid dents, but still get paint damage that becomes more evident as the paint ages.

Old 05-05-2005, 01:11 AM
Hell, your worried about hail? Try having to make a run for the overpasses to get your truck under cover everytime a thunderstorm hits thinking it could end up like this from last year.....

There was an entire Ford dealership that was demolished so bad it closed off the parking lot to keep people out of the glass.

Here's a couple articles to fill you in.....

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/coolimg/amarillo/

http://www.aes-tx.org/event.html

Old 05-05-2005, 09:47 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After 25 yrs of living in Texas I learned a little trick for hail. Go to Wally world and pick up a couple of the cheapest king size down comforters you can find (usually 20 bucks apiece) and leave them in the garage if your truck sits out. If weather reports say hail, I just throw em over the truck and watch the show. Two will cover a super crew and you will get NO damage!

Old 05-05-2005, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by SAJEFFC
After 25 yrs of living in Texas I learned a little trick for hail. Go to Wally world and pick up a couple of the cheapest king size down comforters you can find (usually 20 bucks apiece) and leave them in the garage if your truck sits out. If weather reports say hail, I just throw em over the truck and watch the show. Two will cover a super crew and you will get NO damage!
And when the sun comes out, you have a nice soft place to lay down.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by valley818
And when the sun comes out, you have a nice soft place to lay down.
This is true. Great for those lil offroading trips with the honey!

Old 05-05-2005, 01:20 PM
The insurance companys here in South Dakota won't pay for paint damaged by hail. They say hail won't damage paint it. I think it is a line a bull sh*t so they screw their customers even more. Every time it hails I find more chips and scratches in the paint then before but try telling them that.

Old 05-09-2005, 05:02 PM
my insurance adjuster came out and looked at my truck. I've got $1191.74 dollars in damage. I need to get a new hood, roof, quarter panels, etc. It's gonna be a fun time getting this thing done. Any advice?

Old 05-09-2005, 06:32 PM
What the "HAIL" are you guys talking about!

Seriously, that's some nasty stuff! We we get "any" hail up this way it makes the 6:00 news!

Old 05-11-2005, 11:47 AM
"Hell, your worried about hail? Try having to make a run for the overpasses to get your truck under cover everytime a thunderstorm hits thinking it could end up like this from last year.....
"
heybeermantx I was trying to fly into Amerillo the afternoon that storm hit. We drove to the Ford Dearlership you mentioned. It was a sad day there was a F150 fully jacked $50K plus that looked totaled. there were 2-3 8in yes that is 8 inch sized holes in the windshield. One was right on the cornerpost. I have pictures some place.

Old 05-11-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah, luckily for me I was at work and was able to pull my truck inside before it hit this side of town.....

However, my fiance was working at the hospital and said it was "complete chaos" once all the windows started shattering.

P.S. If you don't mind me asking, why were you coming here? No one comes here by choice.

Quick Reply: One HAIL of a day