tire dressing question

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 11:46 PM
#LT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tire dressing question

i've tried several tire dressing products. currently, i'm using hot shine by meguairs. after applying the products, i let it sit overnight and when i drive it in th e mourning, it seems to kick some of the product up on my back fender (similar to kicking up mud, but leaves black oily spots). i've tried several spray on products and they all seem to do this. i have never tried the gel with the sponge wipe, but i figure it will have similar results. what products are you currently using and does this happen to you too? is there some trick in spraying the tires down?

thanks in advance

Old 05-04-2005, 11:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Try this with the Hot Shine...

Spray it on... allow it to dry.

Once dry, get a Eagle One Tire Swipe (sponge applicator -- available at all 'mart' stores) and go over the tires without applying anything at all to the swipe. This will help to 'even out' the excess that is on the tire and reduce the sling.

As is true with any dressing, you should ALWAYS remove the excess left on the tire.

RP

Old 05-05-2005, 01:21 AM
#LT
thanks RP,

i have another a question #2, but it doesn't have anything to do with tire dressing....

what do you use to stand on when washing the truck? i'm currently using a 5-gallon bucket...what are you using?

please add on to any tips on tire dressing as well as what to use to stand on when washing the top of the truck and front window

thanks again

Old 05-05-2005, 01:47 AM
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally posted by #LT

what do you use to stand on when washing the truck? i'm currently using a 5-gallon bucket...what are you using?

I went down to Lowe's and for $28.00 purchased an aluminum work platform.

When it is set up it is 40" long, 12" wide, and stands 21" in height. The legs on either end fold in so it can be hung on a wall when not in use, but I tend to just leave it set up and put it in the front of my garage -- it makes a handy seat when you're sitting there contemplating the deeper questions in life!

Because it's aluminum it is very light and easy to move around. Because of its length, it is perfect for cleaning the tops of crew cabs and SUV's, since you don't have to constantly move it like a ladder or step stool. And to top it all off, it is really stable -- I usually bring my 5-gallon bucket full of water right up there on the platform with me, and it is never tippy or unstable.

In fact, the thing is so handy, I've been thinking about springing for a second one just so I don't have to move it from one side of the vehicle to the other when I'm washing or waxing!

Old 05-05-2005, 03:50 AM
Nice, I am tall, so I just hop in the bed...

As far as tire dressing goes, the technique I use is this...

First I run a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser over the tire, then I hit it with a liberal application of Turtle Wax Wet 'n' Black (squeeze bottle). This is the best product I have used.

only get to wash my truck about once every two weeks (school sucks), and this procedure keeps the tires looking pretty dang nice.

They have kept their shine still, and it's been almost 2 weeks.

BTW, the Armor All stuff sucks.

Old 05-05-2005, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by ddellwo
... contemplating the deeper questions in life!
For example... "I just washed the truck yesterday. I QD'd it this morning. Should I wash today?"

"Yes"

Old 05-06-2005, 12:40 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a $15 Rubbermaid step-stool that I picked up at, the one and only, Wally-Hell.

RP

Quick Reply: tire dressing question