Locks frozen up

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locks frozen up

Ok, I thought that waiting until Spring and decent temperatures that I could use my tailgate and topper locks again. I was wrong. I've tried putting penetrating lube liberally in and around the lock cylinders without any luck, and I've tried using the powder graphite numerous times without any luck. I can get the keys in the tumblers, but they will not turn once in. The driver and passenger ones work fine, but I can't think of anything else to try to loosen them up.

Any ideas?

Old 05-06-2005, 12:53 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Andy...

I'm going to leave this one here and copy this to the 'OTHER BODY' forum as well...

I wish I had a good answer for you but, I'm not sure I know either...

Miss Florida yet?

RP

Old 05-06-2005, 01:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's one that may sound really dumb. Get a can of compressed air, like the kind the computer guys use. Blow it out. With all of that lube, it could be a foreign object (very small) thats interfering with the lock.

Old 05-06-2005, 09:31 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'd try a healthy shot of brake cleaner with a pinpoint straw into the lock. Might want to mask off your tailgate handle before doing this though, some cleaners can discolor plastic slightly. I'd recommend finding some that'd evaporate on contact too. A can of brake clean can fix a multitude of sins...

Old 05-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Use a product called PB Blaster. It is by far the best thing to free up the locks. WD-40 won't free them up usually but the PB Baster does very quickly. PB is a rust penetrant in a spray can.

Old 05-07-2005, 01:24 AM
do not use wd40 or any other lube spray in locks......

it just gums them up.....

use only silicone sprays that evaoprate or the proper one is a graphite spray......then work key in and out....wipe off excess.

Old 05-07-2005, 02:08 AM
I had rust form in my tumbler

I took a rust preventing penetrating lube and used the key as my guide to getting it evenly inside. After that some graphite spray to get everything truly lubed and knocked around. Followed with silicone to undo any damage the penetrating might do if left alone.

If all else fails go to a locksmith, my wife's new door tumblers (break in) were twenty five apiece and that included re-keying the locks to her key.

Old 05-07-2005, 09:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Rinkrat
do not use wd40 or any other lube spray in locks......

it just gums them up.....

use only silicone sprays that evaoprate or the proper one is a graphite spray......then work key in and out....wipe off excess.
Sure my locks are really gummy I've tried Lock Ease (Graphite in an alcohol carrier), and it didn't do crap. The locks wouldn't work after working the key in and out of the lock for 15 minutes. Using Blaster, the lock was free in 10 seconds. I don't use the pass. door or tailgate lock very often. They need a shot of lube 6-7 months to keep them working properly (been doing this for 3-4 years). I've tried several things to free them up, and as I said earlier, PB Blaster works best for me. I just think the locks are a weak design prone to sticking.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:17 AM
dont use alcohol either..still leaves locks gummed...

silicone that evaporates is best...plus I have a can of hi temp graphite spray I use on locks on a number of city buildings i take care of...works dandy..

Quick Reply: Locks frozen up