89 F150 Cleaning Engine and Under Truck for first time.

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2005, 01:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 F150 Cleaning Engine and Under Truck for first time.

I've always cared for my truck, but never to the extent of cleaning the engine or under the truck. I'm wanting to do that now. I'm also living in a cold part of the country now where the roads get salted allot, so I'm very worried about rust. Should I take it to a Detailer to clean the engine and everything and have a protective coat put under it or should I atemt to do all this on my own? Anyone know the time and money it takes to do all this? Is it better to do it myself or fork out the money to have it done?

Thanks,
Matthew

Old 05-09-2005, 03:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Matt,
First how long have you owned this truck? How dirty is it? If there is alot of dried oil build up and or crust on the engine then we're way beyond just simple spraying rinsing. Lets assume its the worst possible case. First I'd recommend a warm but not hot engine. Warm enough to put your hands on any part of it but not so cool where anything feels the same as outside temp. I'd recommend Castrol Super Clean at 50-50 dilution with water and a scrub brush for the heavier stuff. Might require more then one application. Follow this by Simple Green at normal strength rinsed with water. Towel dry everything within reach. Now one thing I want to make you seriously pay attention to is when rinsing is never to use hard water pressure on any parts. Water should be running easily over everything to rinse but not to force itself into any electrical parts or boxes and never be allowed to be introduced into the engine itself. It will take time and practice but every engine compartment can be cleaned and detailed. A bit of time and practice can produce results that will save you money and add to the value of your truck

Quick Reply: 89 F150 Cleaning Engine and Under Truck for first time.