Clay source

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2005, 11:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clay source

I was wondering if I could go to an art supply place and buy modeling clay/art clay to use for the claying process?

I went through the Mothers clay kit pretty fast with that tiny wafer of clay they provide, and it seems the art clays are abundent for a much lower price.

Anyone know if it's the same type of clay? Technical wise, anything would be considered "clay" as long as the partical size is < 2 micrometers, if I remember correctly from my soils classes.

But I don't know if the "clay" in the kits is actual clay, some specially sifted even smaller sized product, or some other man-made product etc.

Texture wise in my hand they feel similar.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:07 PM
you should only get one or two uses out of the clay.

cut it in half and use one for one time and the other for next time...you have to continually fold it to get the clean surface....if it gets too mucky...then ur using too much spray or lube...

In fact I have gotten as much as 4 uses out of a bar...store it in ziplock bag after each use.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:10 PM
goslow,

I would stick to the automotive clay for a couple of reasons.

First, somewhat contrary to what some have heard, most automotive clay has "abrasives" of some type in the clay. That's how it "levels" off the contaminates that it doesn't pick up. Are these abrasivies extremely fine... yes (like fine silica powder).

Second, would be the quality control. Obviously, a clay made for modeling would not need to have near the quality control that an automobile clay would have.

There are probably other components, or levels of those components that separate modeling clay from automotive clay. An MSDS sheet for each might help.

Just my two cents.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:12 PM
I've got 4 vehicles of my own and then I did a couple of my parents vehicles. So it goes quickly like that.

Old 05-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Boss_429
goslow,

I would stick to the automotive clay for a couple of reasons.

There are probably other components, or levels of those components that separate modeling clay from automotive clay. An MSDS sheet for each might help.

Just my two cents.
Yeah, it's about impossible to find what's in each, so I'll be sticking with the automotive clay. I just wasn't sure if someone might have information and had actually tried modeling clay before.

The automotive clay does seem a bit more "gum" like in it's ability to hold together.

Maybe a modeling clay mixed with Bubbulicious watermelon chewing gum

Old 05-15-2005, 12:31 PM
I buy the 200 gram bars (not kits) and cut it up into thirds. I usually get at least 2 uses (on paint) out of the 3 pieces. (depending on the condition of the vehicles). The Mothers' bar in the kit is only 80 grams.

You shouldn't have to do thorough claying that often. Maybe once or twice a year... again depending on the condition of the vehicles and how they are kept up.

Last edited by Boss_429; 05-15-2005 at 02:54 PM.

Quick Reply: Clay source