Review: Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 10:30 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Review: Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel

After a great review from Boss_429 on this product, I decided to snag a few of the Water Magnet waffle-weave drying towels on a recent trip to Pep Boys.

This product comes in a schnazzy package that probably kicks the price up a few cents. Probably a bit of overkill but, their target market is 'Joe-Consumer' and thus, point of sale appearance is very critical and thus, I understand the reasoning behind the glossy package.

While the packaging may be overkill for those of us who are total enthusiasts, don't be deterred that this is just another chincy consumer product that is going to be mass-marketed to every 'mart style' store on the planet... well, okay, maybe they'll market it like that but, this is far from your average waffle-weave drying towel.

In short, this towel is FANTASTIC. Similar towels that I've used on the market range in price from $10 to $25. The price on the Water Magnet at Pep Boys: $6.99!!!

There were a couple of cons... first, once the towel was 'inundated' once, I found that, no matter how hard I wrung it out, it seemed to streak on glass a bit. While this wasn't a critical issue, I found it to be a little bit annoying. Also, when I say streak, I don't mean it left a trail of water behind in a big way... more like just enough to make me want to re-wipe the surface. For this reason, I recommend two but, one might work if you're using the water-sheeting method on your vehicles (remove spray nozzle and allow flowing stream of water to go across your paint creating a sheeting effect to prevent water staying on the surface of your paint).

Secondly, tags. Tags scratch things and, even though the tag is easy to remove and even comes with 'remove before using' printed on the tag, some folks won't bother to do this. This may be some type of requirement for them to have this on there but, all in all, it needs to go and shouldn't be there from the start. Be sure to remove all tags!!

Because of the very open design of the packaging which encourages the would-be purchaser to feel the towel, be sure you wash this before you use it. There's no telling how many times this has been dropped on the ground and has picked up 'stuff' that could potentially scratch your paint. Further, as a good habit, when you get new towels, regardless of how they're packaged, run them through the washer for a cycle with no fabric softener at all. This is cheap insurance.

With a price at $7, a super soft material that is ultra-plush, a large size at 22" X 30", and the quick availability versus ordering nice towels on line, this is SURE to be a winner. I **WILL** own more of these towels as Pep Boys gets them in!! Count on it!

Two HUGE thumbs up.

Scale of 1-10, this is a SOLID 9.5

RP

Old 05-17-2005, 06:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yep, again I agree. This is a very good towel for the price! I do have several WW towels that are thicker, softer and plusher... they are also at least twice as much money.

The Supreme Shine MF towels are also a great deal!

EDIT: I agree on the tags... lose them all... on any towel!

Last edited by Boss_429; 05-17-2005 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:11 AM
I liked it better the first time when it was called the Absorber. Slap on a waffle pattern and the Meg's name and you'll sell a ton!

Seriously - isn't it just another synthetic drying towel like the absorber?

Old 05-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plucked the tag off mine and give it a wash before use. The edges kinda scare me and I don't know why.

Old 05-17-2005, 06:33 PM
I was not crazy about this product at first. I like it much better now after a few washes, seems to work better for me now. As you guys said I bought it becasue it was fairly cheap and able to purchase locally.

Joe

Old 05-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dzervit
I liked it better the first time when it was called the Absorber. Slap on a waffle pattern and the Meg's name and you'll sell a ton!

Seriously - isn't it just another synthetic drying towel like the absorber?

Never liked those... and, just because it has a Meguiar's name on it doesn't mean someone will buy it... take the chamois for example... I'm not sure they can give those things away...

Further, the 'waffle weave pattern' is far more than a 'pattern', it's a stitch style on the towel. Also, the absorber is made from a totally different material.

The stitch design is important when it comes to drying in that it provides a place for 'grit' or other debris to go instead of being pushed across your paint. The absorber, while it soaks up pretty decent as I'm told, provides little to no area for something foreign to go and thus, you stand a much higher risk of dragging it across your paint.

There is some thought in the design of the towel... it's not just another towel. Far from it...

RP

Quick Reply: Review: Meguiar's Water Magnet Drying Towel